Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2016 3:26:46 PM EDT
This is my first rimfire pistol.  It is a new Ruger 22/45 lite.  I was shooting Winchester 22LR 40 grain hollow points and every 10 or so rounds I would get a failure to feed. Is it just the ammo or is there something wrong with the gun? Any advice would be appreciated.  I only had Winchester ammo with me or I would have tried another brand.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 8:53:45 PM EDT
[#1]
A lot of .22 autos have ammunition preferences. Buy an assortment and find the ones your pistol likes.

That, and sometimes it just needs to teethe for awhile.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 8:56:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Break it in with a few 1000 rounds of CCI minimag or any copper or brass wash and then it will eat anything..
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 8:08:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Also might want to consider removing the loaded chamber indicator. It's notorious for causing problems.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 8:50:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Also might want to consider removing the loaded chamber indicator. It's notorious for causing problems.
View Quote

This, and mine likes Mini mags.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 9:39:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Try CCI MiniMags (unsuppressed) or CCI Standard Velocity (suppressed), remove or cut the wing off of the LCI, and replace the mag disconnect safety with a MK2 hammer bushing. That will get rid of 99% of problems people have with MKIII's, to include disassembly/cleaning/reassembly.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 11:08:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This is my first rimfire pistol.  It is a new Ruger 22/45 lite.  I was shooting Winchester 22LR 40 grain hollow points and every 10 or so rounds I would get a failure to feed. Is it just the ammo or is there something wrong with the gun? Any advice would be appreciated.  I only had Winchester ammo with me or I would have tried another brand.
View Quote

Sometimes round nose works better in Ruger .22 auto's than hollowpoint.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 11:58:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Winchester hollow points have a pretty wide opening on the bullet compared to other hollow points. I know I have had issues with them on my marlin rifle. Try another brand of ammo or solid bullets.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 12:30:08 PM EDT
[#8]
With any gun but especially a 22 never judge performance based on one brand of ammo,
In my opinion top to bottom here is the quality ranking for commonly available 22 ammo ( not including the fancy European match ammo)
Eley/lapua ($$$)
Fiocchi/norma/sk
CCI
Aguila/federal
Remington/Winchester

Yes the two old traditional American ammo makers are at the bottom of the list!
Do nothing to your pistol without trying several types and brands of ammo. While I do not care for guns that are finicky and will shoot only one type of ammo well,once you do find ammo your gun likes, the last panic taught us go out and buy two cases or more ( 10,000 rounds)
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 1:42:22 PM EDT
[#9]
My wife's .22/45 was reliable from day one with every type of ammo she shot through it.

Are you lubing the pistol properly?

We lubricate our Rugers by spaying only a very light coating of G 99 aerosol gun spray on all parts of the bolt when in and out of battery, and  in the receiver as well,   and then making sure that there isn't too much remaining.

My Ruger MKlll Hunter just reached 10,200 rounds last week.

I'm sure that Breakfree CLP aerosol will work just as good.

Not enough lube and the gun will bind,  but too much and it will get all "gunked up" with powder residue.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 12:08:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I would first buy the LCI Load Chamber Indicator replacement insert, and if yours is a model that has a mag safety I would replace that to for convenience of take down. Now as far as ammunition make sure you are using high velocity ammo, mine jams constantly with the low power quiet stuff. I have used Federal bulk packs exclusively and have never had a failure with that ammo. When I tried some Winchester stuff i had it was every 5 to 7th shot was dud.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 2:57:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Save your money and just remove the LCI from the gun, pull off metal wing, return the LCI back into gun. It's free!
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 12:05:39 AM EDT
[#12]
I removed my LCI and I still had a lot of failure to eject and mis-feeds from my 22/45 lite. That gun ran mini-mags ok but anything bulk didn't run well at all.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 1:00:19 AM EDT
[#13]
They all love to have their mags slammed home very hard. Tandemcross make a cool  mag bumper that works really well.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 4:35:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Same mag or multiple mags? Try cleaning it?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top