Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2016 7:13:43 PM EDT
Yes, it's another what gun should I get, maybe a bit more directed.  

I want something new, and this time I have the cash to back it up.  

I'm tired of my Mk2s and I don't want another Buck Mark (sold them off years ago).

I want something that'll be easy to clean, accurate with high quality ammo, reliable and made with quality materials.  

I will always shoot standard velocity ammo (my "bulk" ammo is CCI SV), I will always shoot suppressed and I am NOT competing.  My suppressor is a Dead Air Mask.  

1.  I'm looking at a 1911 conversion from Nelson or Marvel.  Either just a conversion or full gun from either.   I wouldn't use the 45 upper.  
2.  A CZ Kadet for my 75 SAO.  I have to verify that the Kadet will work with a Cajun tuned SAO.
3.  A Beretta 87T that I'll have to get threaded.  I don't know anything about this, except I like the looks.  
4.  A Beretta 22 conversion to go on my WC Brig.
5.  A SW41 that'll I have to get threaded.  
6.  A Kidd custom charger (aka 10/22 pistol).  Probably my least favorite since I already have a SBR 10/22

Anything else?

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:23:22 PM EDT
[#1]
The 1911 conversion or S&W 41 are the most appealing of those options to me.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:34:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

The cost sounds expensive but if you sell the original and factory the cost of threading it might be about the same. Maybe less.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:49:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The cost sounds expensive but if you sell the original and factory the cost of threading it might be about the same. Maybe less.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Agreed. With the cost of a 41 above $1K, I'm inclined to think its the cost of doing business. Plus the optics cuts.  

My other vote is a charger setup. I've been close to building one many times.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:09:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The 1911 conversion or S&W 41 are the most appealing of those options to me.
View Quote

The 41 is top of my list with the 1911 being a second.  

It's a gift from me to me.  I'm not terribly concerned with the cost, under $2k is where I'd like to keep it.  Not including optics.   I found that Clark does a custom one that is hard chromed .....  Haven't seen it, but I'll ask for pictures.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 9:55:58 AM EDT
[#6]

Google pic of a Clark, in hard chrome:

Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:09:14 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote

Btw, if you go with the 41, Mark at TROS can thread it.  He did an excellent job on my Beretta 87T - highly recommended.
I'd also suggest the shorter barrel, as the 7" will get lonnggg with a can attached.

Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:48:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Kimber Rimfire is a good host.  Super light gun and well made.  Good luck finding a used one, I got really lucky.  

I use a Ruger 22/45, Glock/Advantage Arms,  and a Smith 2206 for my rimfire hosts.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:49:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 11:07:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Btw, if you go with the 41, Mark at TROS can thread it.  He did an excellent job on my Beretta 87T - highly recommended.

I'd also suggest the shorter barrel, as the 7" will get lonnggg with a can attached.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/parshooter/Smith204120comp.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/parshooter/Smith204120comp.jpg

$$??  I am sending a message to Gem-Tech right now to check their price. Does it cycle OK with standard velocity rounds and the can or did you need a spring kit?
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 11:30:36 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

$$??  I am sending a message to Gem-Tech right now to check their price. Does it cycle OK with standard velocity rounds and the can or did you need a spring kit?
View Quote

The 87T, right? Sorry, but I don't remember the cost; that was over 10 years ago.
On a positive note, I don't remember ever having a malfunction with it either, suppressed or not, standard or high-velocity. It's stock, except for being threaded. This is the gun I grab most often when chasing critters around the family farm.
FYI, the barrel is glued-n-screwed into the upper.  It has to be heated to be removed.

Link Posted: 9/1/2016 11:39:21 AM EDT
[#12]

This barrel was already threaded when I bought it, and I don't know who did the work.

The springs are stock though and it's never had any issues with feeding standard-velocity ammo.

Link Posted: 9/1/2016 11:43:10 AM EDT
[#13]
That is slick!

Quoted:

The 87T, right? Sorry, but I don't remember the cost; that was over 10 years ago.

On a positive note, I don't remember ever having a malfunction with it either, suppressed or not, standard or high-velocity. It's stock, except for being threaded. This is the gun I grab most often when chasing critters around the family farm.

FYI, the barrel is glued-n-screwed into the upper.  It has to be heated to be removed.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/parshooter/DSC00410.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/parshooter/DSC00410.jpg

Link Posted: 9/1/2016 4:22:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Beretta model 71, they're cheap right now, like $250.
Edit: They are already threaded and come with a fake suppressor, but thread adapters are cheap.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 10:33:22 AM EDT
[#15]
I've decided to get a 22 conversion from Marvel or Nelson for the 1911 platform.  

Problem is that I've been out of the 45 game for some time.   I need a lower that'll work with it.  

Another option is getting a 9mm in 1911 style (blasphemy) and use the frame.  That way I still don't need to stock 45.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 8:55:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Beretta model 71, they're cheap right now, like $250.
Edit: They are already threaded and come with a fake suppressor, but thread adapters are cheap.
View Quote

Mags seem to be a hang up, $80 for well used factory and $40 for shitty aftermarket AFAIK. Ive been looking lately for another suppressor host, the 71 was suggested by a couple of knowledgeable folks..
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 11:21:42 PM EDT
[#17]
I like my beretta 71 but I may have to buy another one to get an extra magazine.
Don't forget the poor mans model 41 ,the 422 series from smith. They use the same mags as the 41 and all you need is a thread adapter.

Link Posted: 9/6/2016 11:55:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Agreed. With the cost of a 41 above $1K, I'm inclined to think its the cost of doing business. Plus the optics cuts.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

First Cash Pawn on Doniphan Dr in El Paso, TX has a S&W 41 for $350.  It needs a little TLC but with some new springs, grips, barrel threading, and a refinish you'd be into it for less than $650.  Or get that bullydog threaded barrel for a little more...
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 4:58:13 PM EDT
[#19]
RIA XT22 threaded/railed.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 9:39:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I like my beretta 71 but I may have to buy another one to get an extra magazine.
Don't forget the poor mans model 41 ,the 422 series from smith. They use the same mags as the 41 and all you need is a thread adapter.
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z83/jaxtraxx/0AEEE398-1AF8-4041-9312-0097A758C9B0-12581-000055CF04ECA234_zpszobicz2r.jpg
View Quote

Keep in mind that S&W no longer makes/sells firing pins for the 422/622 series.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top