Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2016 1:30:22 PM EDT
Local shop has a really nice 22/45 with an unfired Pac-Lite upper.  In my research I read a couple posts on other boards voicing concern about the aluminum breech face.  Apparently there are a couple documented issues of the steel bolt beating up the face, leading to reliability issues.  Not sure how common this may be?  So just curious to hear from you guys who actually own Ruger Pac-Lite uppers and have put a decent amount of rounds through them.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 4:36:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I shoot mine a lot.
No issues.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 7:13:31 PM EDT
[#2]
My cousin bought one and it works pretty well.  I bought one had to return it, they sent it back.  Still wouldn't work, sent it back with my lower.  They couldn't fix it.  Offered me a new one but I took a refund.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 10:25:14 PM EDT
[#3]
My MKII with Pac-Lite has been flawless.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 4:16:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I shoot mine a lot.
No issues.
View Quote

This
At least a couple thousand suppressed
And i don't know how many before i got the can.
I've even dry fired it without issue.

Mine is on a MK II if that matters.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 9:54:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Mk.II with Pac-lite upper as a suppressor host. Still runs great after a couple thousand rounds or more. The breech face on mine doesn't really look any worse for wear.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 10:52:28 PM EDT
[#6]
FYI. I'm writing a piece on Tactical Solutions and when I talked to the guys there I specifically asked about the aluminum breech taking a beating.

If they had to estimate, the upper will withstand 50k rounds under normal use. The barrel may be shot out like any other .22LR barrel after 50K, but the durability is there.

They have an upper at the factory with 90K rounds through it.  

That's direct from the TacSol guys.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 12:40:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I've an older 22/45 (unsure if it's a MkII or MkIII,) with well over a few thousand rounds through it (& mostly all suppressed.)

No issues.  Accurate & w/ the Majestic Arms Speed Strip Kit, easier to keep clean.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 11:16:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
FYI. I'm writing a piece on Tactical Solutions and when I talked to the guys there I specifically asked about the aluminum breech taking a beating.

If they had to estimate, the upper will withstand 50k rounds under normal use. The barrel may be shot out like any other .22LR barrel after 50K, but the durability is there.

View Quote

My TacSol paclite barrel liner slipped at about 5k rounds. TacSol customer service was great and they fixed it free and quickly, but I was still disappointed that it happened with so few rounds. I noticed the problem when I started having failures to fire. I called TacSol and the guy diagnosed it immediately. He said the liner slid forward preventing ignition.

My son has started shooting NSSF. Due to the volume he shoots I'm getting him an upper with a steel breech face.

YMMV
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 12:30:02 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote
50k rounds to wear out a rimfire barrel? Maybe x10.

Link Posted: 9/22/2016 6:32:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A microscopic look at a .22lr barrel after 50k rounds will tell you a different story. Will it still shoot? Sure. Accurately? Nope.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 9:45:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

A microscopic look at a .22lr barrel after 50k rounds will tell you a different story. Will it still shoot? Sure. Accurately? Nope.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That count sounds low. No personal experience, but my good buddy has a Mark 2 he has shot no less than a brick per month ( more like 2) for the past ten years or so. Other than springs and few minor parts it has not skipped a beat and is no less accurate that I can see. If anything it seems to have gotten slightly better, cleaning it little. In my circle of shooters, some of the old timers have well over 200k in theirs as well and don't even think they are close to being shot out. Microscopically maybe, but paper wise not even close.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 11:45:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I shoot mine a lot.
No issues.

This

I have fired mine on MKII and 22/45 frames.

Works great. Mostly suppressed.

On a 22/45 frame the thing is light as a feather.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 11:48:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've an older 22/45 (unsure if it's a MkII or MkIII,) with well over a few thousand rounds through it (& mostly all suppressed.)

No issues.  Accurate & w/ the Majestic Arms Speed Strip Kit, easier to keep clean.
View Quote

It is really not that hard to strip and reassemble them.

The first couple of times for someone new to the pistol might be difficult, but after that its easy.

Teach someone about the hammer strut once, and they never mess it up.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:04:33 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess it depends on your definition of accurate. Are you using Tac Sol pistols to shoot benchrest matches? A semi auto rimfire pistol that shoots 4moa is absolutely sufficient for its intended uses. Accelerated erosion is a result of heat (hard to generate in a rimfire sufficient to matter), and the effects of leftover compounds from the cartridge in the bore being pushed through the bore by the next projectile. Some ammo is worse than others, with Eley having a bad reputation.

Rimfire benchrest shooters usually require a high level of accuracy that just doesn't matter in a semi auto rimfire pistol. A "shot out" barrel may have opened up from shooting consistent .4moa groups, to shooting .8moa groups. That's enough to make the rifle not competitive in a match.

But a semi auto pistol most likely used for recreational plinking, or at steel challenge matches? Still viable at 4MOA groups.

Link Posted: 11/12/2016 12:56:02 PM EDT
[#15]
I have 20k rounds through mine , a Paclite 4 inch on a Mk3, for going on about 6 years + -.

It runs GREAT , and more accurate than I am.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 4:57:49 PM EDT
[#16]
I have been running one for about 8 years now. Thousands of rounds suppressed. Yes the breech face looks a little beat up, but nothing serious. It has had no effect on performance. It runs flawlessly with whatever I put in it. SUPER ACCURATE. Don't clean it as often as I should either.

20 ROUNDS AT 10 YARDS RAPID FIRE

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top