Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2016 11:29:16 PM EDT
Have a Taurus M94 .22 lr 9 shot, 2" barrel and enjoy shootting it but have developed a rock hard carbon deposit about half an inch long filling in between a pair of the lands.
Laughs at boresnakes, solvents and I am looking for suggestions on a good nylon brush ... I am careful with rods and my .22's and my rifles do not have this type of black, hard buildup ever.

I shoot Lapua, CCI velocitor & minimags, and just put 30 new Browning BRP rounds (lots of smoke, markedly more noise) through it and was noticing some oval holes in my target ...
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 12:07:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you tried WIPE-OUT bore cleaner?  I've been using it since reading some reviews and have been very impressed.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 1:41:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have you tried WIPE-OUT bore cleaner?  I've been using it since reading some reviews and have been very impressed.
View Quote

No I have not tried WIPE OUT ... but I will !

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 11:48:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Carbon Killer
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 3:03:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Their are a few videos on youtube on such removal. One guy tried some of the copper pot scrubber strands on a bore brush and had good luck. He just cut a few strands off and carbon came out. He was trying to remove fouling from a ruger sr22 pistol.
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 3:38:49 PM EDT
[#5]
In short barrel I use treaded part of aluminum cleaning rod to scrape it away
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 12:49:34 PM EDT
[#6]
If none of that works try a Lewis Lead Remover.  I bet what you are seeing is actually lead buildup.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 8:52:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If none of that works try a Lewis Lead Remover. I bet what you are seeing is actually lead buildup.
View Quote

I agree it's lead.  Lewis lead remover, copper chore boy pad, or carefull scraping will do the trick
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 9:22:17 PM EDT
[#8]
if you can remove the barrel, soak it overnight in Marvel mystery oil. That will remove most built up carbon, and what does not come off on the soak will wipe out with one patch.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:25:22 PM EDT
[#9]
IF a heavy lead build up, a friend used a new .243 brass brush and his big boy muscles when all else failed.

Thunderbolts in a SR22. Used the club supplied ammunition in his pistol for a Ladies Day event.

Best,
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 4:11:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Mpro7 bore gel worked on some bore crud and stain problems on different guns. I let it soak over night and it came clean without the smell. I really did not expect it to work. I had to try something that did not stink up the house. If I were working outside, butch's bore shine would have been used. It has always worked as well. It just stinks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top