Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/13/2016 4:38:22 PM EDT
Was at my LGS today and I saw this in the consignment display case behind a Mk. III 22/45 that I have been eyeing. (Better pictures forthcoming).

1960 6" Colt Huntsman with 4 magazines for $161.00 out the door. So, how did I do?

See last post for a new picture and a Question.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 5:02:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I hate you.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 5:27:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm surprised that it even made it into the case at the lgs, it sure wouldn't have if I worked there.

Link Posted: 6/13/2016 6:17:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Even if it was missing all of the bluing you stole it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 6:27:55 PM EDT
[#4]
You stole it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 7:33:11 PM EDT
[#5]
You did poorly.  Send it to me to regain your pride.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 8:02:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I hate you.
View Quote

That just doesn't even begin to describe the loathing and hate I am harboring for him.

Awesome score op! But you already knew that.

Link Posted: 6/13/2016 8:26:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I hate you.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/13/2016 8:29:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I squeed a little.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 8:33:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I honestly don't get the love for .22 guns. I'm glad you got something you are excited about though. Good for you.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 8:48:20 PM EDT
[#10]
FPNI

I paid much more for mine.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 8:56:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Thing of beauty.  Enjoy.  
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 9:49:39 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm not kidding.  I'm actually very mad at you.  I feel like somehow you would have known through the cosmos that I wanted and needed that more than you, and that you would have found a way to alert me to the deal.  I'm really not sure I'll ever get over the deal you found and the price you paid, especially with the extra mags.  

You make me sick.

Enjoy your prize, if you can
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 9:59:07 PM EDT
[#13]
When I saw that it was only $150 dollars, I actually asked if the price was a typo because this shop has a policy of not consigning anything under $200. When the guy behind he counter checked with his boss and confirmed the price, I think I may have set my wallet on fire pulling it out of my pocket so fast.

Link Posted: 6/13/2016 10:01:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice!  Great little pistol.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 11:58:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I honestly don't get the love for .22 guns. I'm glad you got something you are excited about though. Good for you.
View Quote

I don't know how to break this to you buddy, I'll try to be gentle, but if you don't like .22s then you're broken inside. Sorry.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 5:19:34 PM EDT
[#16]
OP, where is this lgs you speak of?
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 5:24:54 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I don't know how to break this to you buddy, I'll try to be gentle, but if you don't like .22s then you're broken inside. Sorry.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Poor feller...

Link Posted: 6/18/2016 12:25:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Walther22lr told me about this at work today.  The first words out of my mouth were: "I hate you."

He started laughing...."That's what everyone said!!!"

I said, "Good."

I hate you.

My mint 1969, 4 inch Huntsman:

Link Posted: 7/1/2016 9:42:39 PM EDT
[#19]
The magazines are almost worth what you paid for it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 12:40:57 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Poor feller...  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Poor feller...  

He was OBVIOUSLY born without a soul.  It's teh ONLY explanation.  

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 7:31:50 PM EDT
[#21]
I realized that I never got around to posting a better picture in this thread. So here you all go:

Now a question. Does anyone know how the front sights were attached on these? I have not been able to find anything through googling. As blasphemous as it sounds, I am considering having this Huntsman threaded. The barrel would be shortened and the front sight would need to be relocated.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 7:58:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
... As blasphemous as it sounds, I am considering having this Huntsman threaded. The barrel would be shortened and the front sight would need to be relocated.
View Quote

Please don't. If you wanted a threaded gun then buy a threaded gun. Sell this to someone who wants an unmolested Huntsman.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 8:02:57 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Please don't. If you wanted a threaded gun then buy a threaded gun. Sell this to someone who wants an unmolested Huntsman.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

... As blasphemous as it sounds, I am considering having this Huntsman threaded. The barrel would be shortened and the front sight would need to be relocated.

Agreed.  PLEASE DON'T  RUIN SUCH A CSSIC.  Please.

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 8:06:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What if I want a threaded Huntsman?

I like the Huntsman. It has quickly become one of my favorite .22 pistols. I also like my .22 pistols suppressed. I think a threaded has the potential to be awesome. It wouldn't be "molested"

ETA: I asked a tech question in the Tech Forms. If someone has an answer to the question I asked, I would appreciate it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 12:18:14 AM EDT
[#25]
One option would be to keep your factory barrel as is and get a second barrel to thread and have installed by a worthy smith.  Of course, if you want to thread your barrel, it's yours and Colt Automatic .22s have proven to be awesome suppressed pistols.

Contact 'prewoodsman' through either Rimfire Central or the Colt Forum.  He is the world's leading gunsmith on all three series of Colt Woodsmans and their variants and is king when it comes to technical questions.  Even Bob Rayburn turns to him for tech/smithing info.   I don't know if he'd thread it for you, but he's dealt with every conceivable variety and can probably point you in the right direction, and he can certainly swap barrels.  

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 7:27:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Pretty sure they are machined integral and not "attached".
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 10:51:06 AM EDT
[#27]
They are hand fitted and hard to do as well as Colt did, but barrels are threaded on/in and can be replaced if necessary or desired.  That said, they require precise fitting and a replacement barrel will not simply drop in without exact measurements and a skilled smith with the correct tools.

ETA: Since you have a nice Huntsman that you got for a great deal, you might also consider getting a parts set harvested from a beater for $150-300 on Gunbroker and building a Franken-Woodsman to suppress. New to very good condition replacement barrels are easy to find and not expensive in target, sport, and even match target configurations.  Fitting one is not prohibitively expensive and buying a barrel, threading it, and fitting it will likely cost less than the amount you will devalue your pistol.  Of course, it is a Huntsman, so it's not as though you're considering chopping up a Match King, but Huntsmans are equally out of production, rather collectable, and never found at the price you did.  Food for thought.

Purists will obviously argue against dorking with a nice (and even a well used) example, and it will only hurt the value for Woodsman enthusiasts, but ultimately it's yours to do with as you wish.  I'm with the others in terms of not molesting this beautiful pistol that you got for a sinfully awesome price - don't let the price mislead you in terms of the value of your Huntsman, which starts much higher than you paid and will only go up.   If you want to suppress it, it's yours and meant to be enjoyed, but there are other options that will leave this sample intact.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 2:40:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Poor feller...  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Poor feller...  

He's obviously starving for attention.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 9:05:24 PM EDT
[#29]
I hate you OP.

That's a rare catch.

Enjoy it. I know I would.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 9:55:11 PM EDT
[#30]
I used to have a Challenger and should have kept it. I must admit my first thought was "that would look so cool with a retro Maxim suppressor".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top