Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2016 9:49:15 AM EDT
I have an AAC Element2 that I enjoy using on my Savage FVSR and Colt rail gun, but I'd like to expand my rimfire selection.

Should I try the Walther PPK?  I've always enjoyed the old James Bond movies and I think it would be a fun plinker.

Thoughts?  Am I mad?  Should I spend the $200-300 on something else?
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 10:37:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have an AAC Element2 that I enjoy using on my Savage FVSR and Colt rail gun, but I'd like to expand my rimfire selection.

Should I try the Walther PPK?  I've always enjoyed the old James Bond movies and I think it would be a fun plinker.

Thoughts?  Am I mad?  Should I spend the $200-300 on something else?
View Quote

I never had any good luck with the gsg/umarex copies. The P22, Mosquito, 1911-22 are all shit IMO.

Shooting 22 suppressed is dirty AF, and I don't like cleaning .22s every 100 rounds. The soft zinc slides would peen easily with the extra blowback from the can, and the shitty finishes would flake off after attempting to remove the stubborn carbon/lead buildup.

Eventually I will get another .22 handgun host, but it will either be a Ruger SR22, Bersa Thunder 22, or CZ Kadet.

I had a 1911 22 conversion top end but the barrel was just a touch too long and bulk ammo would frequently crack, defeating the purpose of the silencer.

Also I tried a Ruger 22/45 but had some bullshit to contend with at Ruger's QA dept.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 10:57:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Unfortunately, the new .22 PPK'S are made out of cheap metal. Any of the good quality Mannurian ones are uber expensive. Try eight hundred to a thousand for one in .22, then you have to ship it to someone to thread the barrel.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 2:24:40 PM EDT
[#3]
An inside-threaded PPK with matching suppressor would be 007 cool, though.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 2:28:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Umarex Walther PPK and it has been wonderful. With any "full slide" 22 you will need to use high velocity ammo to reliably cycle (my PPK will not cycle with standard velocity, needs at 1200fps to be 100% reliable). I will also say the CS is AWESOME, after a few hundred rounds I did have an issue with a pin backing out in the FCG causing the slide not to move all the way to rear. I called Umarex and they replaced the pin and slide (due to some gouging from the pin). Start to finish it took them 2weeks. If you are not looking for a pistol that will last 100 years and 5million rounds I say get one, I have been quite happy with mine. Also with a suppressor mounted they look fully bad ass, and since the barrel is mounted to the frame it wont effect reliability.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 8:40:30 PM EDT
[#5]
The Umarex Walther PPK/S .22 LR takes a lot abuse from internet critics - but it's almost always from people who don't actually own one.

I have one along with a Walther PP in .22 LR (the British L66A1 version).

One criticism form the internet experts is that the Umarex/Walther is basically a P22.  That't not the case.  The only P22 feature involved is the way the barrel liner is retained - which is what allows for the use of a threaded adapter for a suppressor.   Otherwise the design is pure PP series - but with less refinement in the finish, given the lower price point:

The magazine is a major improvement over the older PP .22LR magazine, with a higher angle which helps prevent rim lock and improve feeding, along with a wider profile at the back which reduces the curve of the 10 round stack.  The major benefit is that while the PP is only relabel with 8 rounds or less in the magazine, you get superb reliability with 10 rounds in the Umarex/Walther PPK/S.  The only downside is that you can't get a flush factory magazine - but you an shorten it to a flush 8 round magazine.

I've found that my Walther/Umarex PPK/S shoots just as well as my Walther PP .22 LR.  The Walther is just a bit more accurate, but the Walther/Umarex is actually more reliable - thanks largely to the improved magazine design.

Both also function well with standard velocity ammo - in this case SK Standard Plus.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 8:43:41 PM EDT
[#6]
That said, despite owning Walther  PP and Walther/Umarex PPK/S in .22LR, I prefer the Beretta Model 71 - if you can still find one they are a bargain at around $300 and most of the ones I've seen have some storage wear but have been in nearly unfired condition.

Link Posted: 6/11/2016 6:50:55 AM EDT
[#7]
My advice--if you really want to do it correctly & not be disappointed--buy a 1960s German (actually Manurhin, but let's not quibble) PP or PPK, send the thing to Tornado Tech  & enjoy.

I decided to use a PP instead of a PPK or avoid "Walther bite" and have been pleased.

I tried 3 non-Walther guns: 2 Interarms trash & 1 Umarex that were problematic, so I prefer the real deal

YMMV.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 7:21:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I am an old guy and agree do it right the first time get what you want and you will not be disappointed.
This was my first suppressor host and I still use it often.  Back before there was a standard thread size for .22s.  It is a blue steel Walther PP that I had Armoloyed and sent to AWC where they sleeved the barrel,and  threaded it.    

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top