Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/31/2016 7:45:58 AM EDT
Narrowed it down to 3 models at least all with threaded barrels.  Would like a little bit of insight/feeedback on my choices.

S&W M&P22
Ruger SR22
Walther PPQ22

Maybe something else I missed with a 3" threaded barrel?
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 9:50:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Only one of those I have is the Ruger. I only shoot it suppressed and is very quiet.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 10:45:27 AM EDT
[#2]
My Brother has a SR-22 and my Brother in law has the MP 22.  I prefer the M&P 22 to the SR-22 but my most used 22 pistols are Advantage Arms kits on Glock frames.  I have bought frames for my AA 17-22 Target kit, a Glock 26 frame for my AA 26-27 kit.  I just bought a AA kit for my Gen 4 Glock 19 and I'll probably end up buying a Glock Gen 4 19 or 23 frame.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 2:48:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I have two SR22s. Love 'em! Both have green lasers on them (CrimsonTrace 206), and are extremely accurate and reliable.
Tho I don't own the SW, the M&P22c has received excellent reviews as well.
Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 2:50:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I made this 3" but could have just as easily threaded it.

Link Posted: 6/2/2016 6:50:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Narrow your search down to two pistols; the SR22 or the M&P22.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 10:48:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Narrow your search down to two pistols; the SR22 or the M&P22.
View Quote

Get the M&P22 compact.

I sold my 22c like and idiot to get a ruger 22/45 lite and freaking hated that turd. Bought another M&P22c today and got delayed

My wife has an SR22 and its been a really good pistol too but the safety is weird.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 1:52:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Had the ruger and s&w sold the ruger after getting the s&w both are good guns i like the s&w better though, I have the threaded compact.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 1:44:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Just shot my M&P 22 compact with my suppressor and its at least as quiet as my 22/45 lite was. Now I think I will get a TLR-3 light for it in case I ever need to dispatch some critters in my yard after dark
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 8:23:28 PM EDT
[#9]
It's hard to beat the Israeli surplus Beretta Model 71s when it comes to bang for the buck.

They are already threaded, they are accurate and they are relentlessly reliable (provided you respect the 8 round magazine limit and don't shove 9 or 10 rounds in it).  
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:42:01 AM EDT
[#10]
I found new Walther P22 with threaded barrel for $269 at CDNN.

Will update after I get a chance to shoot it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:44:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Please God tell me it was a PPQ 22 and NOT a P22. Those are garbage. I wouldn't give one to someone I hated.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 12:10:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Please God tell me it was a PPQ 22 and NOT a P22. Those are garbage. I wouldn't give one to someone I hated.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is a P22.  Actually had the chance to shoot one the last week and this one functioned 100%.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 9:07:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It is a P22.  Actually had the chance to shoot one the last week and this one functioned 100%.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Be very careful of the clearance between the front of the slide and the back of any suppressor you put on it. P22's are known for breaking slides near the front site when there is not enough clearance.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 9:47:25 PM EDT
[#14]
As stated above mp22 compact

I owned the sr22 great gun but the single action double action and weird saftey decock got annoying.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 10:12:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Be very careful of the clearance between the front of the slide and the back of any suppressor you put on it. P22's are known for breaking slides near the front site when there is not enough clearance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

google p22 cracked slide  8(
Umarex pot metal

PPQ 22 is made by Walther
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 7:53:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry bud but you fucked up. Absolute worst gun you could have bought
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 12:48:26 PM EDT
[#17]
they are all good.  I had the SR22, loved it...had no threaded barrel.  1st gen.  Got SW mp Compact threaded..great shooter.  Also have the Ruger 22/45 Lite aluminum..Im enjoying that.  Go with the longer barrel.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 1:43:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

From what I understand, Walther has made some changes to the P22 from its first inception.  Hopefulyl some of the bigger issues were addressed.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 4:01:04 PM EDT
[#19]
I've had a P22 many years now- never a problem.  Rugers were not available then, but today I would go that route although as I said -- P22 has been fire for me.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 4:27:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Of that list I only have the SR22, it's been fantastic, most reliable .22lr Semi auto I've had out of the box, no "break in" or mods needed like my 22/45 MK III needed (but also love that gun anyway). I would stay away from the P22 but I've heard good things about the S&W
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 8:30:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Just an update for all those interested.

PPQ22 - About 4k-5k rounds thru it so far. Everything from tbolts to minimags. No FTF, no FTE. Weaker ammo does not LRBO all the time which is annoying. I have been playing with the idea of buying an extra recoil spring to chop a few coils off see if that helps without creating any issues.

Love the ergos on it. I am thinking about picking up a 9mm older brother for it, or a 45 if the extended mags become readily available.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:11:54 PM EDT
[#22]
I'll add another vote for the m&p 22 compact. Only complaint so far is that getting the factory thread protector off without the special tool is a challenge. Shoots all the ammo that I have tried well except for cci quiets.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top