Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/6/2016 12:29:56 AM EDT
Does such a thing exist? I need to mount a light on my 22/45, and NY says no threads on pistol barrels, guess the threads make it extra deadly or something... I could probably have my barrel drilled and tapped for a rail, but Id rather have a dedicated upper for nighttime chicken coop guard duties with a light, and keep the other upper that works with my holster for daytime squirrel genocide hikes....
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 12:34:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Which 22/45 do you have?
I have a 22/45 lite with the gold upper. The threads are not on the barrel. The barrel is silver and the piece that is threaded that goes around the barrel is black.
The 22/45 lite version came tapped from the factory
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 6:22:59 PM EDT
[#2]
https://www.volquartsen.com/products/754-llv-competition-pistol-upper

Select the "no thread" and "accessory rail" options on the very bottom to build your own.  Without sights it's $422.50 and you get a rather fantastic match grade barrel.  I have the six inch version so you could spring for that and or add sights if you want.  I doubt you could possibly be disappointed by this thing. Except for the price...
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 8:40:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Which 22/45 do you have?
I have a 22/45 lite with the gold upper. The threads are not on the barrel. The barrel is silver and the piece that is threaded that goes around the barrel is black.
View Quote

Believe it or not, I do believe that would be considered a "barrel shroud" in my state.(also illegal).. The laws are soo stupid here its actually funny.. I have a MkIII 22/45 target, with just a regular 5.5in bull barrel This one.. Love the gun, but night time shooting sucks, my headlamp puts to much glare on my FFIII and I have missed 3 critters this week alone as a result..
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:26:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Believe it or not, I do believe that would be considered a "barrel shroud" in my state.(also illegal).. The laws are soo stupid here its actually funny.. I have a MkIII 22/45 target, with just a regular 5.5in bull barrel This one.. Love the gun, but night time shooting sucks, my headlamp puts to much glare on my FFIII and I have missed 3 critters this week alone as a result..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Which 22/45 do you have?

I'm a NYer also. I bought mine the week before unsafe crap was rammed in. I was a little concerned about that thread so I took it to a Sheriff. I was told they would never come looking for that pistol. Of course I live in 1 of the most gun friendly counties of NY. Livingston likes their citizens armed.
I do remember the shroud being bad with this stupid law but wouldn't that make front hand guards on ARs illegal also? Nobody says anything about those.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 2:02:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I'm a NYer also. I bought mine the week before unsafe crap was rammed in. I was a little concerned about that thread so I took it to a Sheriff. I was told they would never come looking for that pistol. Of course I live in 1 of the most gun friendly counties of NY. Livingston likes their citizens armed.
I do remember the shroud being bad with this stupid law but wouldn't that make front hand guards on ARs illegal also? Nobody says anything about those.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Which 22/45 do you have?

Well how do ya like that, Im also in livingston county... I think the barrel shroud only applies to hand guns? not sure who the fuck knows..
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:59:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Avon
You?
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 12:57:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Avon
You?
View Quote

Lima.. Less then 2 miles from the Avon border ..
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 7:03:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Hey neighbor small world
I'm Just south of 5&20 by 15
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 8:32:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Hey neighbor small world
I'm Just south of 5&20 by 15
View Quote

Just south of 5&20 myself, just a few road east of you.. Small world indeed.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 2:23:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Soooo, back to the original question... anyone know how I can get a light mounted on my 22/45? I either need a non threaded barrel upper with a rail, or do they make a rail that will fit the underside of a 22/45 target ( from that I gather it's a different dia, than the lites)?
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 5:47:22 PM EDT
[#11]
I purchased a 22/45 yesterday. In my google search for the hammer bushing and the loaded chamber indicator delete, It looks like tandercross has a rail that attaches to the barrel.

https://www.tandemkross.com/Front-Rail-for-the-Ruger-MKII-MKIII-and-MKIII-2245_p_214.html
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 9:20:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Any reason you couldn't get one of these and have the thread protector pinned and welded on?
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/74662/Ruger+10149+2245+Threaded+10%2B1+22LR+4.5%22
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 11:48:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Any reason you couldn't get one of these and have the thread protector pinned and welded on?
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/74662/Ruger+10149+2245+Threaded+10%2B1+22LR+4.5%22
View Quote

I tried... today actually went to a gunshop today, they one in stock and the only way they will sell them to me is if they destroy the threads.. Not just pin and weld, but destroy them, then epoxy the nut back on.. No one here wants to be a test subject for "what is or is not" considered a threaded barrel.. He did however call Ruger and it appears the factory rail that fits that model, will match the contour of my target, all I need to do is have it drilled and tapped. We shall see... Im still hoping someone can point me towards an upper thats comes from a factory they way I want it..
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 8:03:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Small update... I gave up trying to find that upper.. However I did get a gun shop order me a factory replacement rail for a lite.. The diameter is the same on both the light, and the target ( 7/8s). They are going to drill and tap the barrel and I should be good to go..
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 9:17:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, here she is... Im kicking myself for not buying the frame with replaceable grips, Im running out of things to modify on this...

Link Posted: 3/26/2016 11:17:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Well, here she is... Im kicking myself for not buying the frame with replaceable grips, Im running out of things to modify on this...

http://s12.postimg.org/6d5s078fx/photo.jpg
View Quote

People were modifying those to take 1911 grip panels back before Ruger started making them that way.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 12:22:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Looks good.  May it serve on critters foreign and domestic.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 1:11:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

People were modifying those to take 1911 grip panels back before Ruger started making them that way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have seen that, its tempting...
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 1:12:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Looks good.  May it serve on critters foreign and domestic.
View Quote

My chicken coop defender I call it... I love that gun, but at night the FF3 is useless with a headlamp to much glare... Now..... bring it on MR possum.....
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 10:10:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

That setup looks great, good luck with it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 12:49:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, shes quiet the shooter...Now Im trying to find a holster set up.. Im leaning towards making a custom kydex one..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top