Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/21/2016 3:44:32 AM EDT
I have a Ruger 22/45 Mark III that has been sitting in the safe NIB for a very long time.

Its intended purpose is that of a suppressor host for accurate target shooting ranging from 10 to 75 yards.

A few questions:

1) This model does not have a factory optics mount/picatinny rail. Who makes a good one?

2) Is it worthwhile putting a pistol scope on this pistol?

2a) If yes, suggestions?

2b) If no, a red dot?

When I got the 22/45 I ordered a Tandemkross Magazine Disconnect Bushing and a few (4) Tandemkross Plus 1 magazine bumpers and put them in the box with the pistol along with some new magazines. I recall that Brownells was out of stock on some other parts for the 22/45 at the time but that shopping list is long since gone.

3) What other upgrades are recommended?

Obligatory pictures of the 22/45  (serial number is photoshopped):

Link Posted: 1/21/2016 6:30:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a TRS-25 red dot on mine. Its ok, should have slapped an open style like rmr on it (Primary Arms has them)

Mine has factory rail
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 10:48:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks GG. Do you know if there are any other rails available?

Perhaps I should have posted this in the Ruger 22/45 subforum.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 7:22:11 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a Burris FF3 on mine with the burris dovetail mount and it is ok. I am thinking about taking it off and re-installing the rear sight because a red dot on a pistol isn't all that impressive really.

Actually to be completely honest I am very much not impressed with the 22/45. Way more malfunctions than the M&P22c it replaced and it isn't any more accurate.

Link Posted: 1/22/2016 11:13:32 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't believe that it's going to be  a viable 75 yard pistol regardless of the optic.

Link Posted: 1/22/2016 6:23:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a Burris FF3 on mine with the burris dovetail mount and it is ok. I am thinking about taking it off and re-installing the rear sight because a red dot on a pistol isn't all that impressive really.

Actually to be completely honest I am very much not impressed with the 22/45. Way more malfunctions than the M&P22c it replaced and it isn't any more accurate.

View Quote

Any thoughts about putting a rail on it and something with magnification? I'm not to hot on putting a red dot on a pistol either.

As for the reliability: have you replaced the extractor?
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 6:23:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I don't believe that it's going to be  a viable 75 yard pistol regardless of the optic.

View Quote

Fair enough. 50 yards tops. Still need a rail, and a suggestion.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 6:24:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks like there are several options for scope rails. Anyone have any experience with this?

Volquartsen: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/928256163/volquartsen-1-piece-picatinny-style-base-ruger-mark-i-mark-ii-mark-iii-22-45

Or the factory rail from Ruger:  http://shopruger.com/Mark-III-22_45-Picatinny-Rail/productinfo/18500/

Link Posted: 1/22/2016 8:30:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have a TRS-25 red dot on mine. Its ok, should have slapped an open style like rmr on it (Primary Arms has them)

Mine has factory rail
View Quote

Same here, just added a Tandemkross hammer bushing for drop free mags.  Next will be the slingshot mod.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 12:59:38 AM EDT
[#9]

I had a burris FF3 mounted on the volquartsen rail (top one in your pic). I found it was way to high, and shit would get stuck or caught in the "Cantilever" part of the rail.. I cant remember off the top of my head which rail I ended up with, but I do recall having that "AHH much better" thought in my head after I installed it..

ETA. Just checked it was a This mount...
Oh, and 75 yards is rather easy if you put a little money in it..
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 2:59:32 AM EDT
[#10]
I put the TK mag bushing, sear, adj trigger, and LCI filler on mine.  Probably going to skip the optics and go with the fiber optic sight.  The trigger is abso -fucking-lutly amazing by the way and the LCI filler just looks good.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 3:13:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Dovetail mount is the way to go. All VQ inside with Hoag 1911 wraparound grips.
I love this pistol, it runs like a top and is super accurate with the Pac-Lite barrel. I made this one before Ruger made there own light weight barrels.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 9:55:13 PM EDT
[#12]
The optic choice depends upon your intended use.  I have a Mk II slabside and MkIII Hunter both with Burris adjustable objective scopes for precision shooting from a rest.  I have a 22/45 with a Ultradot Matchdot for offhand shooting and hunting where the lack of magnification and quick to locate red dot are a bonus.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top