Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/16/2016 9:05:10 PM EDT
No slam intended, but is no one interested in the upper end model rimfires? We certainly cover Rugers, Brownings, GSG's, etc. But we only seem rarely to do a thread on a S&W 41 & hardly ever on the more exotic European models.

I know this isn't Rimfire Central, but I would've thought that the "affordable" brands such as Walther, Hammerli, etc. would pop up once in a while? Or am I way out in left field here?  
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 9:17:56 PM EDT
[#1]
My sentiments exactly, I just purchased a used Marvel conversion on a frame for under $500 yesterday.  I also am about to complete my 22/45 Ruger Lite to Volquartsen conversion.

I'm really wanting to get an older model 41 and use it for bullseye, right now my Volquartsen and Marvel are plenty capable but I'm always wanting something more.

I think these nicer pistols (which are fairly absent even on rimfirecentral) are really only common among bullseye shooters, and unfortunately Bullseye is not popular anymore even though it's cheaper by far than any other firearms competitions.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 11:04:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Honestly I think this lack of focus on highly refined target guns is similar to the general trend over the last several decades ( yes I have been an adult shooter through them all) toward everything "tactical" and "combat" where the focus is much more on speed rather than accuracy. I see plenty of posts on line and shooters at the range that can't hit a thing beyond ten yards. You do not need an expensive refined precision pistol when your goal is a very quickly fired fist sized group at seven yards.
I grew up bullseye shooting before the focus became almost exclusively on defensive shooting with handguns.
I do practice close in defensive shooting and appreciate the need to be competent in fighting but skillful pistol shooting with precision is becoming something of a lost art
I would like to see a bit more focus on accuracy and a bit less on speed.
I have owned a good number of the older classic high end target pistols and very much enjoyed them. I now shoot bullseye with a stock unmodified smith model 17 revolver and find it capable of accuracy equal to the autos, and more reliable.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 9:29:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have owned a good number of the older classic high end target pistols and very much enjoyed them. I now shoot bullseye with a stock unmodified smith model 17 revolver and find it capable of accuracy equal to the autos, and more reliable.
View Quote

Then why haven't we had threads/posts along those lines? Seems like this sort of thing dovetails with shooting a rimfire, IMO.

Maybe it's a generational thing?
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 10:44:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a S&W 41 and enjoy it greatly but lets face it, most people aren't willing to spend that much for a. 22LR handgun. Ignoring 1911's, the 41 and the other higher end 22s are some of the most expensive pistol's on the market.

I've often wondered why everybody expects a .22 to be cheaper then a 9mm or 45? Its not like a .22 is any cheaper or easier to make so if we are talking apples to apples quality wise, why do people expect a 22 handgun to be cheaper then a 9mm or 45acp handgun?

The reason is, people see 22 guns as toys more or less. They see their centerfire guns as serious tools for self defense and justify the expense that way but their 22's are plinkers or training aids.

Here was my favorite 1-2 punch for 22's. S&W 41 and S&W 617 10-shot pre-lock

I say was because like an idiot I sold the 617 but will replace it someday
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 11:44:53 AM EDT
[#5]
I have always liked the high end .22's and have several of them, including an S&W 41, Ruger Target, Beretta, and Walther GSP Expert with an additional .32 SW Long WC barrel, They are very high quality firearms and need good ammo to shoot to their top potential. The Walther GSP is a literal tack driver. I have shot clays set out at 100 yards, offhand with it so often it is boring. Granted the pistol was not designed for this, but punching one hole groups gets old after a while and a guy needs to challenge himself. :) Cost is also a factor.
$10-20/box for some of the best .22 target ammo leads to a higher cost to participate in the sport of bullseye shooting.
Unless someone is commited enough to maintain the proficiency required to shoot at this level, they really need the time and money to do so.

www.carl-walther.de/cw.php?lang=en&content=products&sub=1&subsub=13&product=158
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 12:35:45 PM EDT
[#6]
if i run across a old s&w

it will be mine

clown
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 12:38:32 PM EDT
[#7]
single 6,bearcat,mkII,buckmarks

need a s&w revo

clown
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 10:03:59 PM EDT
[#8]
The S&W 41 is top shelf on the target range but not as friendly to carry in the field ( sharp squared off sights, small safety , etc). I have owned a few thru the years and cant say anything bad about any of them but my favorite three are my Ruger MKII slab side , S&W 617 and my suppressed Buckmark.

Link Posted: 1/17/2016 10:36:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 1:50:34 AM EDT
[#10]
I have found that many people see .22 handguns especially as little intrigueing, they want major calibre manly guns. I take my hobby very serious and want to excel in it. After the military I joined a pistol club and learnt pistol craft with a rimfire Colt OMM and occasionally a Belgium FN Medalist. I eventually had a Walther GSP Gehmann and a Hämmerli International for state competitions, as everybody else who competed at that level in the 1980s did.

To use the potential of a competition match pistol a solid knowledge of the basics of shooting is necessary, and since marksmanship is an acquired skill, it needs constant practice or the skill level will deteriorate.

I still shoot .22 l.r in my Korth revolvers and Anschütz 1422s and 1423s but enjoy centerfire shooting more lately, or percussion pistols.

Link Posted: 1/18/2016 1:56:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 11:13:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Share more, buddy!  There are some real .22 lr dudes here, I talk to a couple of them on IM.  I might add you to my list for questions!

There are a lot of idiots here, but there are a LOT of quality folks here as well.  I am a .22 enthusiast.  I just haven't been able to compete yet... But I have matches planned.  I have a Kidd .22 that is very accurate out to 400 yards with the right ammo.  I don't have a "match" .22 handgun, but have several fun .22s wife (and soon to be kid) loves, so that is good enough for now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have found that many people see .22 handguns especially as little intrigueing, they want major calibre manly guns. I take my hobby very serious and want to excel in it. After the military I joined a pistol club and learnt pistol craft with a rimfire Colt OMM and occasionally a Belgium FN Medalist. I eventually had a Walther GSP Gehmann and a Hämmerli International for state competitions, as everybody else who competed at that level in the 1980s did.

To use the potential of a competition match pistol a solid knowledge of the basics of shooting is necessary, and since marksmanship is an acquired skill, it needs constant practice or the skill level will deteriorate.

I still shoot .22 l.r in my Korth revolvers and Anschütz 1422s and 1423s but enjoy centerfire shooting more lately, or percussion pistols.

Share more, buddy!  There are some real .22 lr dudes here, I talk to a couple of them on IM.  I might add you to my list for questions!

There are a lot of idiots here, but there are a LOT of quality folks here as well.  I am a .22 enthusiast.  I just haven't been able to compete yet... But I have matches planned.  I have a Kidd .22 that is very accurate out to 400 yards with the right ammo.  I don't have a "match" .22 handgun, but have several fun .22s wife (and soon to be kid) loves, so that is good enough for now.

I went shooting with a friend (and his father) today in the bitter cold and on my first ten shots I was able to put almost all of them in the x ring, and then.... one nine.  It was the first time shooting my Volquartsen Scorpion, and MAN can that gun shoot!  The trigger is superb in comparison to the totally run of the mill of the 22/45 frame's trigger.

Anyway, there's something about taking a quality .22 handgun and a box of cheap Remington thunderbolt and making tiny little groups that other run of the mill guns just can't handle!
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 2:00:55 AM EDT
[#13]
I like quality guns with a proven record for longevity and accuracy.

Link Posted: 1/19/2016 2:13:45 AM EDT
[#14]
My dad gave me a high standard many many years ago.

It's probably nothing special, except to me.

Link Posted: 1/19/2016 6:29:25 PM EDT
[#15]
This kinda hits close to home since I REALLY REALLY want one of the new production Beretta 87s (not Target).
BUT my LGS wants $835, and the cheapest I see it new online are $750-ish.
So even though I want one, it's hard to spend that on a fairly bulky and heavy 22LR with a tiny capacity of 7+1 (though one guy swears it's 8+1).

I can buy an SR22 Or MP22 Compact for $300 and have 13-14+1 and a 100% reliable gun thst has parts readily available, a supported aftermarket, and it won't be picky on ammo like some of the higher end 22LRs (though I shoot almost all CCI anyway).  

I just have a hard time spending more on a nice 22LR than I spend on my personal SD handguns (G19, G43, and trying a Sig P320--all bought for less than $525 OTD).
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 8:22:55 PM EDT
[#16]
You are correct evil, but the beretta 87 would shoot circles around the others you mentioned.
The current crop of combat trainers are fine if your goal is to blast close range defensive groups
The refined target guns will provide a level of accuracy that many simply can not believe can come from a pistol
If you are going to shoot 22 they might as well be hyper accurate - some times the price is worth it!
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 10:00:32 PM EDT
[#17]
I've owned a couple S&W 41's, but have sold them all.  They had better triggers than the Rugers for sure, but really didn't seem outshoot the Rugers by any large margin if at all.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 9:49:35 AM EDT
[#18]
I've had mine for a bunch of years... the High Standard was $270 NIB in the early 80s... used it for IHMSA Silhouette Rimfire and first year of the Team Challenge.. the M41 $350 used, about 1995 and shot the remaining Team Challenge matches in Florida... sadly, neither gets much use today

Link Posted: 2/1/2016 9:17:38 PM EDT
[#19]

You, sir, are a man after my own heart!  
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 9:28:42 PM EDT
[#20]
High End .22 pistols. I have a Feinwerkbau AW93, with an Ultra dot match dot on it. I have probably shot 4000 rounds through it @ 25 yards in an indoor range. No competition matches with this gun nearby, so I just take it out every month or so and run a few rounds through it. This thing is accurate, very accurate. It makes me look like a good shooter. I know many on here have more experience than I do. I just responded because the OP said no one ever talks about high end .22 pistols on here. At $2475.00 for the pistol with mount installed, and another $200.00 for the dot, I would call it a high end pistol. My only gripe is that it only holds 5 rounds. To tell the truth, I have a S&W Victory model that I just got, and really enjoy shooting it too.

Thanks,
Mark
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:59:19 PM EDT
[#21]

I see you have one of the P210s that were police surplus from a while ago.

How much did you pay?
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 12:13:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
No slam intended, but is no one interested in the upper end model rimfires? We certainly cover Rugers, Brownings, GSG's, etc. But we only seem rarely to do a thread on a S&W 41 & hardly ever on the more exotic European models.

I know this isn't Rimfire Central, but I would've thought that the "affordable" brands such as Walther, Hammerli, etc. would pop up once in a while? Or am I way out in left field here?  
View Quote

I smell a pic thread coming. I will dust off the classics for a photoshoot if so!
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 12:31:13 AM EDT
[#23]
S&W Model 41 is on my firearms bucket list.  I have always wanted one.  Maybe someday.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 12:31:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

How much did you pay?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

How much did you pay?

You saw wrong. That is a P210-6, the sports version with sports sights  that sell for well over $500 alone and are much more fragile than the service sights. I have a P210-4 also that is a German BGS surplus pistol, the P210-4 is pretty collectible and usually costs about $3,500.

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 12:41:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I smell a pic thread coming. I will dust off the classics for a photoshoot if so!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is more high-end than a .22 l.r. Python?

Link Posted: 2/15/2016 1:10:34 PM EDT
[#26]
The problem is most Exotic Top end Euro pistols are $$$ Specialized Target pistols not plinkers.

Affordable lower top end pistols like Sig Trailsides , Beretta 87/89, Benelli MP93/95 , Pardini's old Walther's etc do show up but they aren't out there in numbers like Rugers, HS's and 41's
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 9:07:15 PM EDT
[#27]
To be fair most Euro gun makers have their own target .22's that sell for various prices in the spectrum.  They actually match up quite well with our Ruger's, High Standards, and 41's in terms of pricing spread.  Of course our guns are a little more styled after the 1911 and the Euro guns are not, which makes sense.  We also don't get them in the US because there just isn't much of a market for it.  Most Euro guns aren't as you say plinkers that can be easily and or cheaply modified with threaded barrels and rails for optics etc.  Optic mounts for the higher end guns aren't usually cheap.  Another thing to consider is that the lack of variety in Euro imports is due to the fact that few make high end .22's because it's a tough job to get into it and be a successful manufacturer.  This mirrors all other sectors of a free market, the few who compete the best will rise to the top.  I also think it's just such a difficult process to import that no one but a select few want to do it.  Also, guns appear to be cheaper in Europe when they're used, are out of production, or are an older version of a currently produced gun.  

Of course, people who don't compete in Bullseye/ISSF/Olympic aren't nearly as likely to appreciate the expenditure that is purchasing a top end rimfire gun.  They simply think of the .22 as a plinker/trainer/toy.  If this type of idea were to change maybe we'd see more high end guns.

In the end I think it comes down to publicity.  The Bullseye game is dying somewhat in the US, but if you were to market it in the gun world people almost certainly would want in.  Bullseye just can't compete with the "glam" of action shooting sports, and of course there's always that fucking unconstitutional age barrier. .  Even though a lot of action sports shooters also shoot Bullseye, it doesn't get the attention.

/end_rant
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 7:12:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Beretta 87s are pretty top end.  Great suppressor hosts:
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 7:49:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Beretta 87s are pretty top end.  Great suppressor hosts:http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa370/freeride12/Mobile%20Uploads/image_4.jpg
View Quote

Love the gun but no, they're not even close.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 9:39:17 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Beretta 87s are pretty top end.  Great suppressor hosts:http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa370/freeride12/Mobile%20Uploads/image_4.jpg
$900 Plinker isn't top end?  You should rename the thread then, you are talking bullseye and target guns.

Link Posted: 2/20/2016 12:46:12 AM EDT
[#31]

High Standard Houston 10X, after market Vitarbo Grips. A little picky with ammo, but a consistent tight shooting pistol that;s easily maintained. Any of the older Conn.HS's are usually very good shooters. New ones have been very slow to hit the market after too many corporate make-overs and changes in the frame's sub-contractors. Well worth the money for a tried and true design if you can find one you can afford, imho.
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 1:50:04 AM EDT
[#32]
I almost had a mint condition (no box or anything) Supmatic Trophy 106 Military for $300+ tax.
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 2:15:40 AM EDT
[#33]
High end to me is reliable, accurate, has great aftermarket support, and useful. Not expensive. Price is secondary. If a Ruger MKIII with LCI filler, MK hammer bushing with mag safety delete, threaded barrel, and bolt stop detent delete does that then so be it. A difficult to thread and find parts for handgun like the M41 isn't what I call high end...just expensive.  Bragging about a "high end" expensive handgun equates to saying a Sig P210 is the end all be all. It's nice, but not good for much more than bragging when compared to its modern counterparts.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 1:20:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
High end to me is reliable, accurate, has great aftermarket support, and useful. Not expensive. Price is secondary. If a Ruger MKIII with LCI filler, MK hammer bushing with mag safety delete, threaded barrel, and bolt stop detent delete does that then so be it. A difficult to thread and find parts for handgun like the M41 isn't what I call high end...just expensive.  Bragging about a "high end" expensive handgun equates to saying a Sig P210 is the end all be all. It's nice, but not good for much more than bragging when compared to its modern counterparts.
View Quote

High end has little to do with reliability and accuracy but quality. Neither does aftermarket parts availability make a product high end that just performs basic function, or easy threading and modifications needed to bring it up to a better performance level.

It will be harder to find aftermarket parts and chip tuning for a Ferrari than for a Honda Accord. The Honda might even be more reliable in the long run. According to your flawed thinking, that would make the Ferrari a mediocre machine at best.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 1:22:20 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
$900 Plinker isn't top end?  You should rename the thread then, you are talking bullseye and target guns.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You answered your post already. Reread it; it is a plinker, handicapped by its trigger characteristics and performance limits.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 1:15:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

High end has little to do with reliability and accuracy but quality. Neither does aftermarket parts availability make a product high end that just performs basic function, or easy threading and modifications needed to bring it up to a better performance level.

It will be harder to find aftermarket parts and chip tuning for a Ferrari than for a Honda Accord. The Honda might even be more reliable in the long run. According to your flawed thinking, that would make the Ferrari a mediocre machine at best.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

By that definition a super high quality, finely machined,  non functioning replica is high end. My point was that "high end" is subjective. There's a reason those pistols you reference aren't used outside of target shooting circles. Run some Remington Golden bullet through a Hammerelli and see how long it takes before it starts choking. You answered your own question in your OP....
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 12:20:54 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

You answered your post already. Reread it; it is a plinker, handicapped by its trigger characteristics and performance limits.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

$900 Plinker isn't top end?You should rename the thread then, you are talking bullseye and target guns.  
You outta re-read: "rename the thread then, you are talking bullseye and target guns."

Link Posted: 2/23/2016 1:08:40 PM EDT
[#38]
My new production 617 shoots as good as any .22 I have seen or shot.

I would like to have an older one but the prices on them...
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 1:11:58 PM EDT
[#39]
And why would you want an older one, is production quality not as good as it used to be?
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 2:11:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
You outta re-read: "rename the thread then, you are talking bullseye and target guns."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
$900 Plinker isn't top end?You should rename the thread then, you are talking bullseye and target guns.  

Outta or ought to? You are pathetic.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 2:17:02 PM EDT
[#41]
One would think, after 13 years on this forum, that he/she would understand the difference between a tech forum and the GD.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 2:19:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

By that definition a super high quality, finely machined,  non functioning replica is high end. My point was that "high end" is subjective. There's a reason those pistols you reference aren't used outside of target shooting circles. Run some Remington Golden bullet through a Hammerelli and see how long it takes before it starts choking. You answered your own question in your OP....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Remington Golden Bullets give me problems even in my S&W 22A. You got no point.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 2:24:05 PM EDT
[#43]
coc
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 5:16:47 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Those are hurting words
You win, I herby declare you the victor in this online argument.  You can now ride tall in the saddle!

Link Posted: 2/23/2016 6:14:24 PM EDT
[#45]
I appreciated the Beretta 87 posting.  But there is a certain price point that guns meant for plinking don't tend to reach.  Except for the Colt ACE. Those things are freakish in price.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 7:13:19 PM EDT
[#46]
I miss my Sig Trailside. That was one sweet shooting pistol.

Sig's Mosquito was utter garbage.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 7:46:01 PM EDT
[#47]
I do not look at aftermarket support ( many after market parts are just as likely to adversely affect performance as help it) or access to plentiful spare parts being very critical in high end rimfire pistols. I had a 60's era high standard that ran well into a six figure round count with no breakages. Same for a model 41 that has passed 50k and a number of other target guns that I have shot a lot.
Parts breakage in a good quality target pistol properly maintained is a pretty rare occurrence
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 9:27:21 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 12:16:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Don't forget about the CZ Kadet...another great shooting handgun.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 9:31:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Don't forget about the CZ Kadet...another great shooting handgun.
View Quote

Great gun, certainly a cult following. But no longer made & I'm not sure I'd list it along with a S&W 41, Walther GSP, Hammerli, etc.

The top tier target rimfires are whom I refer to when I began this thread. As much as *I* love my Buckmark & as accurate as it is, top tier it is not..............  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top