Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 5:40:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I freaking love mine! I have put 1,000rds through as of this weekend with ZERO malfunctions. Roughly 2/3rd of the 1000 were suppressed. I also did not clean the gun during that time.

1 brick of Gemtech Subs through it and 1 brick of federal auto match

Accuracy has also been superb .... When I first got the gun I stripped it down cleaned it /oiled it. I also torqued both take down bolts to 40inch/lbs with some rocket

Anyways I'll update in another 1000rds

Link Posted: 6/6/2016 7:51:39 AM EDT
[#2]
The more I use it, the more I like it.  Zero FTF in the last 20 mags.  Qx:  Has anyone found a holster that fits with a red dot sight affixed??  I'm thinking something like those button-release types that are plastic (Kydek?) or similar.
This is one very accurate shooter.  Ordered the Volquartson barrel for it.  Another question:  one of the videos on YT says don't use anything but target ammo (lead RN) in the VQ bbl - any reason for this?  Does the copper clad shed and affect bbl accuracy?  Most of the tests published show a variety of ammo through the VQs so this was news to me.

Edit:  Couldn't find the holster I need so I made it!  

http://www.smithandwessonforums.com/forum/smith-wesson-rimfire-guns/52849-modified-holster-sw22-victory.html

(not sure if link will work, but let's try)
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 1:16:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I just picked one of these up.  I haven't shot it yet.  Minor grip: purchase on the slide is not very good and if the hammer is down, I have a rough time cocking the gun.  It looks like a Tandemkross Halo is in my future.  #arthritissucks

FWIW, I have no issue with my 22/45 LITE or my wife's Neos.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 9:10:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Finally got my Victory to the range again.

It improved from total failure to extract casings at all, to failing to eject casings at least two or three times per magazine. I even got through two magazines (out of 20) without a stoppage!

Back to S&W it goes. Again.
View Quote

My next 22 purchase will probably be one of the Victory pistols.

That being said.

Would you please change your avatar. Please.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 9:16:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The more I use it, the more I like it.  Zero FTF in the last 20 mags.  Qx:  Has anyone found a holster that fits with a red dot sight affixed??  I'm thinking something like those button-release types that are plastic (Kydek?) or similar.
This is one very accurate shooter.  Ordered the Volquartson barrel for it.  Another question:  one of the videos on YT says don't use anything but target ammo (lead RN) in the VQ bbl - any reason for this?  Does the copper clad shed and affect bbl accuracy?  Most of the tests published show a variety of ammo through the VQs so this was news to me.

Edit:  Couldn't find the holster I need so I made it!  

http://www.smithandwessonforums.com/forum/smith-wesson-rimfire-guns/52849-modified-holster-sw22-victory.html

(not sure if link will work, but let's try)
View Quote

Thanks, I don't feel bad about the sparc II on my Buckmark any more.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 8:33:12 AM EDT
[#6]
I had the same problem with mine out of the box.  I was having like 4 to 5 spent casings not ejecting and getting hung up by the bolt.  I fixed this by bending the ejection pin slightly towards the casings by about 0.5 to 1 mm.  Haven't had a problem since with ejection issues.  Here is the link where I found that info with pictures.  Look at post #30.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-semi-auto-pistols/462336-sw22-victory-not-ejecting.html
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 8:34:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Finally got my Victory to the range again.

It improved from total failure to extract casings at all, to failing to eject casings at least two or three times per magazine. I even got through two magazines (out of 20) without a stoppage!

Back to S&W it goes. Again.
View Quote

I had the same problem with mine out of the box.  I was having like 4 to 5 spent casings not ejecting and getting hung up by the bolt.  I fixed this by bending the ejection pin slightly towards the casings by about 0.5 to 1 mm.  Haven't had a problem since with ejection issues.  Here is the link where I found that info with pictures.  Look at post #30.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-semi-auto-pistols/462336-sw22-victory-not-ejecting.html
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 10:53:17 PM EDT
[#8]
No issues with my new Victory .22 pistol. I burned through 500 rounds this afternoon without any issues whatsoever.  

Life is good.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 11:52:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Picked one up about a a out a week ago, it has shot great.  Shot about 250rds of Federal Automatch and the pistol loves it. One hole groups at 10yds give or take and absolutely no malfunctions. Last two groups right above pistol were shot right after I finished dialing in the Fastfire III and those are 1" circles.

However, the takedown screw was siezed and no amount of heat or penetrating oil helped. Destroyed two quality hex wrenches before the screw stripped.  I ended up drilling the head with a number 10  bit  and using this spline extractor to get it out.  Waiting on new screw from Smith so in the mean time I just dremeled a slot in the screw for a flat blade driver and all is good.

5/32 Spline Extractor

Link Posted: 7/2/2016 11:40:02 PM EDT
[#10]
wouldn't cycle CCI Quiet consistently but it would cycle regular velocity ammo just fine.

Link Posted: 7/3/2016 1:47:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
WOW, I got rid of my MKIII because it was such a PITA to take apart and clean, but this has a lot of promise.  My safe needs another .22LR !!!
View Quote

I am surmising that you are being sarcastic.
Can someone please explain to me what is so fukkin hard about taking a Ruger apart. Pull a lever, pull the pin, remove bolt...................I guess I must be doing it wrong

This is a serious question by the way. I really don't see the hardship others are talking about.
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 6:41:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Can someone please explain to me what is so fukkin hard about taking a Ruger apart. Pull a lever, pull the pin, remove bolt...................I guess I must be doing it wrong

This is a serious question by the way. I really don't see the hardship others are talking about.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
WOW, I got rid of my MKIII because it was such a PITA to take apart and clean, but this has a lot of promise.  My safe needs another .22LR !!!

Everything is easy to take apart. I'm thinking that the poster is referring to the reassembly process which sometimes can be a bitch lining up the lever pin and detent. (assuming) that the MK111 is the same as the MK1 and MK11.

Link Posted: 7/5/2016 2:01:56 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm considering getting one of these instead of a 4.5" SR22 (and a threaded barrel).  But the SR22 has terrible reset, and feels cheap (even if it costs more than this).  I also think this gun would likely be more reliable in the long run--though my SR22s have all been 100% in 2K-5K rds.
I have a few questions:
1). Is the Volqs threaded barrel shorter than 5.5"?
2). Are smaller side panels available yet?  My wife has small hands but we could switch out the SR22 and it works great for both of us.  
3). Do you think I'm right that this would likely be more reliable or at least reliably RUGGED compared to the SR22?
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 4:09:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Very interested in the Victory. Might be picking one up today or tomorrow.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 2:42:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It seems to work.  200-300 rounds with the O-ring on there and no sign of loosening.  

Others have reported that torquing it 40-45 ft lbs also works.  I ended up buying a wheeler fat wrench for this but I don't have the correct hex bit to use it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For what it's worth, I checked S&W forums. One fix for the loosing screw is a #61 O ring. Mine started loosening so I went to Ace Hardware and picked up a couple. I'll head of the range next week sometime to shoot it.

It seems to work.  200-300 rounds with the O-ring on there and no sign of loosening.  

Others have reported that torquing it 40-45 ft lbs also works.  I ended up buying a wheeler fat wrench for this but I don't have the correct hex bit to use it.

Took it out yesterday, it ate 160 Remington Goldens without a problem. O ring worked perfectly, didn't loosen up.
1 ftf which I put back in after finishing the mag and it fired.

Picked up a Vortex Venom for it. Had battery problems.
Vortex customer service was great. No printer so they said they'd send a t shirt because I  couldn't print out an RMA.
Got a new one back in less than a week, but they lost my t shirt size and sent a smaller size with a note to call if it was wrong. So I called and said I was giving the t away as I don't  wear them very often and I only cared about the Venom. Lady sent a hat anyway.
Should I need a new scope, they'll be 1st on my list.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 5:49:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Taking it apart is easy.
Putting it back together, not so much.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 6:42:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Hey how is evryone lubing their victories? I know the manual states a few drops of oil here & there, just wondered if anyone was doing anything different.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 9:11:59 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't care for the screw takedown. It still looks better than anything they have tried to float since the 41. S&W must have the record for the most 22 pistol models in the last 35 years.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 11:27:07 PM EDT
[#19]
I picked a Victory up today.  It really seems to be a solid gun.  I have only put two rounds through it to make sure it works.  It will probably be another two weeks before I really get to shoot it and see how accurate it is.  But, I like it a lot so far!
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 1:21:30 AM EDT
[#20]
I bought a Victory last Tuesday at the Cabelas in Lacey WA. Their list price was $399.00 but I got the military discount (told the lady I was only in 3 years in the late sixties, she said it didn't make a difference) which brought it down to $380 + tax for a total of $414 OTD.  The only complaint I had was it took 45 minutes to get the NICS check approved. Everyone else was having the same waiting time.  Cabelas is always slow compared to my LGS.  I won't be able to get to the gun range until Tuesday or Wednesday. Three of the LGS finally had 22 ammo in stock again. So I bought 600 rds of CCI Stinger and 1000 rds of Winchester. I haven't seen CCI Stinger on the local shelves for nearly 2 years!! Anyway can't wait to get it to the range. My only other 22 pistol is a S&W 422 that I bought in 1993 used for $225.00. Fun gun to shoot but it was time to find a replacement.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:00:54 PM EDT
[#21]
I bought a Victory last Tuesday at the Cabelas in Lacey WA. Their list price was $399.00 but I got the military discount (told the lady I was only in 3 years in the late sixties, she said it didn't make a difference) which brought it down to $380 + tax for a total of $414 OTD.  The only complaint I had was it took 45 minutes to get the NICS check approved. Everyone else was having the same waiting time.  Cabelas is always slow compared to my LGS.  I won't be able to get to the gun range until Tuesday or Wednesday. Three of the LGS finally had 22 ammo in stock again. So I bought 600 rds of CCI Stinger and 1000 rds of Winchester. I haven't seen CCI Stinger on the local shelves for nearly 2 years!! Anyway can't wait to get it to the range. My only other 22 pistol is a S&W 422 that I bought in 1993 used for $225.00. Fun gun to shoot but it was time to find a replacement.

I got to the range Tuesday afternoon and put 200 rds thru the Victory. It shoots to POA at 30ft.  I was using CCI 40gr Stingers and Winchester 40gr HPs. Both shot just fine, I had one Win that I had to reload and it fired fine the 2nd time. The indoor range I shoot at has a light but not over the shooting bench. So I was having trouble seeing the sites, not enough light. Plus I wear bi-focal glasses. I finally got the sights aligned on a white area of the target and them put them over the bullseye on a 8" Shoot N See target and was able to chew the center out of the target. I did go to ACE Hardware and buy some #61 rubber O rings to use on the take down screw so it won't back out/become loose when shooting and it worked great. It has a very good trigger and for me it's definitely a keeper!!

One other note be careful when you disassemble or re-assemble it.. Cover the back and top of the bolt with your thumb and finger or the guide rod and spring will go flying!!! Luckily mine didn't have the room to go far and I was able to find them.  I'll have to order a couple of spares for them and a couple of take down screws from S&W.

UPDATE: Here's picture of the target which was about 30ft downrange

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:54:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 4:19:58 PM EDT
[#23]
I finally field stripped it for cleaning.  I had to take out an impact driver to remove the takedown screw.  Looking at the S-W forum, I'm not alone in having a takedown screw that was installed by Hercules.  Rather than risk damaging the screw using questionable allen wrenches, I used a 1/8" bit from a Brownells bit set in a Bosch 12v impact.  Came right out.  I reinstalled with purple Loctite and torqued to 35 in-lbs per my Fat Wrench.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 3:21:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Finally got a chance to take the Victory to the range.  I put about 200 rounds through it and it functioned great!  It is accurate and fun.  It is easy to clean.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 9:28:45 PM EDT
[#25]
I fondled one with a threaded barrel today and it felt good but man that thing is front heavy, even without a can.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 2:38:09 PM EDT
[#26]
I am unable to remove my take down screw. I've already ruined two hex wrenches including the one that came with the gun.

Not sure if the screw is damaged or not.

Has anyone been successful using a 1/8 hex socket with a 3/8 drive butterfly air impact wrench? Or is more torque needed?
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 9:07:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I am unable to remove my take down screw. I've already ruined two hex wrenches including the one that came with the gun.

Has anyone been successful using a 1/8 hex socket with a 3/8 drive butterfly air impact wrench? Or is more torque needed?
View Quote

I used a 12v impact driver to remove mine.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 2:00:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Still unable to remove it using the method listed above. I rounded off two hex bits trying. The hex screw does not appear to be damaged.

Any suggestions shy of sending it back to S&W or just selling it and taking a loss?
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 2:58:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Still unable to remove it using the method listed above. I rounded off two hex bits trying. The hex screw does not appear to be damaged.

Any suggestions shy of sending it back to S&W or just selling it and taking a loss?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I took mine to a local gunsmith to remove and than had S&W send me a new screw.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 7:05:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've got a new screw incoming from S&W. My local gunsmith says that he has done a few and the problem is that S&W uses Loctite

and heat must be applied to the screw. S&W customer service claims that they do NOT use Loctite, they just over torque them.

Who do I believe? And should I trust my local gunsmith?

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 5:40:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I've got a new screw incoming from S&W. My local gunsmith says that he has done a few and the problem is that S&W uses Loctite

and heat must be applied to the screw. S&W customer service claims that they do NOT use Loctite, they just over torque them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine had "Locktite" or some kind of similar thread lock on the screw. But I was able to get mine out with enough force applied by hand. It was really in tight. When I put it back in I used a small #61 o-ring on the screw and it hasn't come loose after 800 rds.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 7:29:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Mine had "Locktite" or some kind of similar thread lock on the screw. But I was able to get mine out with enough force applied by hand. It was really in tight. When I put it back in I used a small #61 o-ring on the screw and it hasn't come loose after 800 rds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just received my new takedown screw from S&W today. It does NOT have any Loctite or any other sealer on the threads. I've still NOT been able to remove my existing screw.  

I have a new stronger 1/8 hex socket coming tomorrow. If that and my 3/8 impact won't do it, plan B might be to sell the gun at a loss and let someone else deal with it.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 12:26:58 AM EDT
[#33]
I removed my screw with the supplied hex wrench with little effort.  The hex screw did seem tight and let loose with an audible pop, but there was no damage to the screw.  

After cleaning the pistol, I added a rubber O-ring and snugged the screw tight again with the supplied tool.

I fired about 1500 rounds since reassembly without the screw coming loose, so thankfully mine is good to go.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 6:53:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I removed my screw with the supplied hex wrench with little effort.  The hex screw did seem tight and let loose with an audible pop, but there was no damage to the screw.  

After cleaning the pistol, I added a rubber O-ring and snugged the screw tight again with the supplied tool.

I fired about 1500 rounds since reassembly without the screw coming loose, so thankfully mine is good to go.
View Quote

I'll call you lucky. Maybe you should play the lottery.

Maybe you should buy mine and try your luck.

Link Posted: 10/2/2016 9:33:58 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry that you had issues, so have you been able to get the screw removed yet?
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 7:05:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got my stronger hex socket and hammered it deep into the hex screw and took my 75 Ft-lb 3/8 impact to it.

Rounded the hex screw off. I called S&W and explained the problem. They emailed me a prepaid shipping label.

I'm dropping the gun off at my nearest Fed-Ex location tomorrow (Monday).

Link Posted: 10/5/2016 3:33:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Got my stronger hex socket and hammered it deep into the hex screw and took my 75 Ft-lb 3/8 impact to it.

Rounded the hex screw off. I called S&W and explained the problem. They emailed me a prepaid shipping label.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please keep us posted on how your progress after getting your pistol back from Smith.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 7:24:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Please keep us posted on how your progress after getting your pistol back from Smith.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Will do. Per the FedEx tracking, S&W got it back this morning. I was quoted a four week turn around.
Hopefully I'll know something by election day.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 7:27:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

UPDATE: I got the pistol back today, exactly three weeks to the day that S&W received it. They removed the rounded off screw and replaced it.

I tried using my S&W issued hex wrench to remove the new screw and it came out with NO problems. Now I can clean and lube the pistol

as I always do before firing for the first time and install a lock washer on the take down screw as was my original plan.  I'm happy again.  

Link Posted: 11/5/2016 4:20:30 AM EDT
[#40]
Took my Victory out today.  Not the first time, but its the first time I've been at an indoor range and actually trying to hit something.  The mags aren't so good, sometimes the followers are slow to push the rounds up, which I can see happen as I load them.  The first time I had the gun out, it jammed constantly, but seems to be getting better.  It's very accurate until I put my form 1 suppressor on, then it becomes low right.  I've got a Griffin Checkmate sitting in NFA jail, hopefully it'll be closer with that.

Is anyone running a red dot on theirs?  I'd like to find something small and lightweight to stick on.
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 7:11:14 AM EDT
[#41]
Where is the best place to get spare mags?
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 7:40:33 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Took my Victory out today.  Not the first time, but its the first time I've been at an indoor range and actually trying to hit something.  The mags aren't so good, sometimes the followers are slow to push the rounds up, which I can see happen as I load them.  The first time I had the gun out, it jammed constantly, but seems to be getting better.  It's very accurate until I put my form 1 suppressor on, then it becomes low right.  I've got a Griffin Checkmate sitting in NFA jail, hopefully it'll be closer with that.

Is anyone running a red dot on theirs?  I'd like to find something small and lightweight to stick on.
View Quote

Suppressors normally effect impact

Mine did,  you will need to make adjustments for that.

I ran a primary arms micro prior to moving that to my scorpion
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 12:15:59 AM EDT
[#43]
I run a FF3 on a MaddMacs base.
Link Posted: 11/9/2016 4:26:49 PM EDT
[#44]
I've read through the thread so far and things seem fairly positive. I've been looking at picking one up, is it worth it in comparison to a 22/45 or a Buckmark? I'd like something different and am a fan of the easy takedown and ergos from handling one...
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 5:37:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I've read through the thread so far and things seem fairly positive. I've been looking at picking one up, is it worth it in comparison to a 22/45 or a Buckmark? I'd like something different and am a fan of the easy takedown and ergos from handling one...
View Quote

I cannot speak to the Buckmark, but I own a 22/45 and a Victory.  I like them both.  So far, I shoot more accurately with the 22/45.  I do think I will get to be more accurate with the Victory as I put more rounds through it.  The Victory is worth owning.  I am glad I have both pistols.  Both are sweet shooting 22lr pistols.
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 5:59:26 PM EDT
[#46]
I heard about this a while ago.  Am curious how it shoots.  Would love it if it shot better or equal to the Ruger so I don't have to deal with putting the Ruger back together.  Great to shoot, miserable to clean.  It would be worth it to have something easy to disassemble.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 2:34:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Anyone have 50 and 100 yard accuracy tests?
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 8:59:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

WUT
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 3:23:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

WUT
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WUT

Some of us shoot at 50 and 100 yards. Sorry if you don't, but 10 yard groups aren't accuracy tests, and that's all I've seen here.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 4:18:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Here is an article in Rifleman magazine about the Victory that has a chart show their groupings at 25 yards.  https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2016/12/21/when-worlds-collide-smith-s-sw22-victory/
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top