Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/17/2015 8:12:36 PM EDT
I have a Surefire Ryder 22-s in jail and need a .22 pistol with a threaded barrel. I have decided to get a 22/45 (sold my m&p22c) and can't decide on the model I want. The leading issues of the LITE models has me a little worried. If that problem isn't a problem now I would ideally like to have the black LITE model.

Anyways, I am going to post a poll... Chime in with your reasoning and any personal experience if you don't mind.

Is there any real functional difference between the blue and silver ones? Are the fouling issues corrected with the black ones?
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 9:54:17 PM EDT
[#1]
The gills just don't do it for me, but then neither does the plastic lower.  I went another route- I built the gun up from parts.  Ruger needs to rethink the guns they're selling and make something for people who don't mind spending a little more to get a little more.

Link Posted: 11/18/2015 7:58:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I own the blue gill.....love it specially wit my 22 can...quiet....
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 2:48:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Well local dealer can't get anything but the silver and blue ones right now (in the lite models) so I have a blue one coming.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 10:39:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The gills just don't do it for me, but then neither does the plastic lower.  I went another route- I built the gun up from parts.  Ruger needs to rethink the guns they're selling and make something for people who don't mind spending a X3 to X5 more to get a little more.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=214486&d=1446696349
View Quote

While I think you have the cadilac of 22/45's, "spend a little more" is a little misleading. I fixed it for you, I hope that is not to GD for the tech forums.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 10:52:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the Black Lite and run a .308 can on it, works just fine
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 1:38:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

While I think you have the cadilac of 22/45's, "spend a little more" is a little misleading. I fixed it for you, I hope that is not to GD for the tech forums.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The gills just don't do it for me, but then neither does the plastic lower.  I went another route- I built the gun up from parts.  Ruger needs to rethink the guns they're selling and make something for people who don't mind spending a X3 to X5 more to get a little more.

You missed my point.  Ruger could make a metal lower- that's the little more.  It doesn't need to be Volqs level, just step up from plastic.  I would have paid a little more for a Ruger gun if it had a metal lower instead of paying a lot more for the full Volqs part.  As it went I never bought anything from Ruger.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 9:43:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have the Black Lite and run a .308 can on it, works just fine
View Quote

I couldn't find a black one anywhere so I ended up getting the blue one.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 9:47:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/11/2015 3:29:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Is the gill model any louder? I'm looking at the 22/45 also with my sparrow.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 4:58:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Is the gill model any louder? I'm looking at the 22/45 also with my sparrow.
View Quote

It shouldn't be, it isn't ported.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 8:32:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The gills just don't do it for me, but then neither does the plastic lower.  I went another route- I built the gun up from parts.  Ruger needs to rethink the guns they're selling and make something for people who don't mind spending a little more to get a little more.

View Quote

Mainsail,

You have any info on a parts list for yours?

Link Posted: 12/15/2015 9:53:40 PM EDT
[#12]
PacLite upper
Volquartsen's 22-45 lower
Ruger mainspring
Ruger bolt
VZ grips

I have a set of Wiliams Fire Sights but the rear isn't fitting with the paclite rear sight base.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 10:40:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Red
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 10:12:42 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote

I don't know why they discontinues the black fluted Lite.  I'm not a gill/bright color fan either.

Assembling a custom steel framed MKIII Lite from Ruger-Parts.net is a fairly reasonable option, if you just want to get away from the poly f ame.

Nice pistol BTW.
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 3:14:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I don't know why they discontinues the black fluted Lite.  I'm not a gill/bright color fan either.

Assembling a custom steel framed MKIII Lite from Ruger-Parts.net is a fairly reasonable option, if you just want to get away from the poly f ame.

Nice pistol BTW.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice pistol BTW.

I actually removed the FF3 because a red dot on a pistol wasnt all that great. It may go back on eventually but for now I'm going to run it with irons. I'm also getting some FTExtracts and need to find out why.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:25:12 PM EDT
[#16]
And then there's this one.

My wife just bought a blue shark gill but I'd be willing to pay  a lot more for an all stainless .22/.45 built along the lines of my MKlll Hunter which cost only $499  on Father's Day 2014.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 11:55:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
And then there's this one.

http://ruger.com/products/2245Lite/images/3912.jpg

My wife just bought a blue shark gill but I'd be willing to pay  a lot more for an all stainless .22/.45 built along the lines of my MKlll Hunter which cost only $499  on Father's Day 2014.
View Quote

I like those cuts a lot better but I'm not sure if I like the baby poop green color.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 11:31:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Looking to build a 22/45 as well. One question, I believe I found all the parts needed: PacLite upper, Volquartsen frame, Ruger bolt assembly however I am unsure of the mainspring? they offer one for polymer frames and one for steel. Will I need the steel Main spring assembly like so? http://www.ruger-parts.net/factory-ruger-mainspring-assembly-for-mkii-mkiii-blued-steel-frame-only/

Anything else Im missing? thanks
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:15:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Looking to build a 22/45 as well. One question, I believe I found all the parts needed: PacLite upper, Volquartsen frame, Ruger bolt assembly however I am unsure of the mainspring? they offer one for polymer frames and one for steel. Will I need the steel Main spring assembly like so? http://www.ruger-parts.net/factory-ruger-mainspring-assembly-for-mkii-mkiii-blued-steel-frame-only/

Anything else Im missing? thanks
View Quote

Grips. You need grips. And mags. Lots of mags.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 12:35:11 AM EDT
[#20]
i have the original gold lite.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:13:24 AM EDT
[#21]
The fluted black is what I wanted, but I got a silver with the holes. Holes/gills suck. The color s pretty easy to fix, just remember the serial is laser end on so don't coat it over.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:56:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Fwiw. I bought the green a couple of months ago and it's MUCH darker than in the picture. Almost an olive green

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:15:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Colt 1911 .22lr Rail Gun I love mine
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 7:39:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I have a relative that just recently traded his way out of a 22/45 because of issues he had with it.  He sent it in to Ruger for repairs knowing he would never be comfortable with it.   After he got it back, he traded it away.  
View Quote

This is EXACTLY what my cousin had to say about it.

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 8:37:33 AM EDT
[#25]
No signuficant leading with the gills to cool the barrel.  They do make a red filled version for NRA which I would highly recommend.  Friend had a buckmark and first shot from each magazine at 25 yards would shoot about an inch low so that was the deal breaker for me
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 9:18:59 AM EDT
[#26]
I've owned and own several target .22 pistols

I just purchased the new S&W Victory w/TB .... This thing is turning out to be my new favorite

I ran 1000rds through it over the weekend with no cleaning and had zero malfunctions and superb accuracy

Just a thought .... I still enjoy my 22/45
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:48:36 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

i have the original gold lite.
View Quote
+1, dont love it but dont want to spring for a new one.  it works great

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:43:46 PM EDT
[#28]
I just bought a new in box black fluted version a few days ago. The sale guy didn't believe me when I told him that version was discontinued. I was about ready to settle for the blue version but that was sitting next to it on the shelf.

It may have been the last one in the wild, there may be more out there, who knows. I would call around if you want the black one, you may find it.

I just hope the lack of vents doesn't cause the leading issue, we will see next week when I shoot it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:55:07 PM EDT
[#29]
I like my blue gill gun suppressed. I can walk around my yard and no one says a thing since it's a air soft gun. Lol.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 11:18:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I like my blue gill gun suppressed. I can walk around my yard and no one says a thing since it's a air soft gun. Lol.
View Quote

I ended up getting it and I hate the damn thing. It does suppress well but I hate the gun and have had WAY WAY more problems from it than the M&P22c it replaced.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 5:13:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I ended up getting it and I hate the damn thing. It does suppress well but I hate the gun and have had WAY WAY more problems from it than the M&P22c it replaced.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Luckily for my wife; hers has been 100% since she bought it and she shoots it at least once a week.

Link Posted: 5/18/2016 5:45:51 PM EDT
[#32]
I traded for an older, used stainless model with the ugly grips.  

A proper used gun would be a better deal.  It probably won't keep you up with the jones's.

Link Posted: 5/19/2016 8:38:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Luckily for my wife; hers has been 100% since she bought it and she shoots it at least once a week.

http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b554/americafirst46/Mobile%20Uploads/f5329bc3-38a7-4572-9196-281fd881630c_zpsw6rhqtym.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b554/americafirst46/Mobile%20Uploads/f5329bc3-38a7-4572-9196-281fd881630c_zpsw6rhqtym.jpg

Ive been running fed auto match through mine. About wvery 325 or so it will hang up. I will wipe it off, oil it up again and go back to running for another box. Seriously it is a great gun buy one.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 11:34:08 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View Quote

I wish I had seen this before I bought the Ruger.

This is the way to go.

Link Posted: 5/23/2016 10:09:37 AM EDT
[#35]
I wish someone made a .22/.45  in all stainless similar in weight to my MKlll Hunter.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 9:02:56 PM EDT
[#36]
I can't believe "get them all" wasn't a answer. I have two now.

I had to get another, the wife kept "borrowing" mine when we went to the range so she could shoot with a silencer.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 10:57:48 PM EDT
[#37]
My wife thinks my 22/45 looks stupid (as do I) but she still likes it because it doesn't spit shards of hot metal on her hands.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 3:09:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

will this is certainly something I see in my future.  not a fan of the 22/45 either, but this is something I'd like to own.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 2:39:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

will this is certainly something I see in my future.  not a fan of the 22/45 either, but this is something I'd like to own.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've had it out a few times since I posted the finished picture.  

It doesn't like cheap .22 very much, got some fail to eject issues with cheap .22, but it really hasn't even broken in the recoil spring yet, so that may take time.
The Volqs trigger is amazing; like a thin glass rod breaking.
The three-dot sights are great but required some machining of the rear sight base to make it work with the rear sight blade.  Note that the PacLite sight is not the same as the Ruger; it does not use a dovetail.
PacLite magazines do not work with the PacLite upper but stock Rugers do.  PacLite seems to be aware of this because they sent me two ruger mags to replace the SLAM mags that didn't work.  No biggie I just swapped the SLAM base pads over.

Overall I'm very happy with the money I spent to make it.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:03:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Didnt they quit making the fluted one because they were failing with moderate suppressor use? Somebody in another thread said the steel liner and aluminum jacket heated and expanded at different rates and over time the liner would begin to separate from the rest of the bbl.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 10:49:28 PM EDT
[#41]
I sold the 22/45 yesterday and bought a M&P22 compact today (again).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top