Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2015 9:42:55 PM EDT
I had about $250 saved up in Cabelas points and impulse bought a P22 with laser for $299 on sale as a suppressor host. I originally wanted to buy the PPKS but hated the extra heavy DA pull. I liked the 22/45 but I already have a Mk III hunter that just needs threaded. The M&P 22 Compact was nice but $75 more.

What is the consensus on the latest P22s? Did I do OK for the price?

Thinking maybe I should just sell it and go with the 22/45 or M&P, I could tell they were nicer pistols but I didn't want to spend the extra $$ on a cheap plinker.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 9:51:34 PM EDT
[#1]
...that you are better off buying a Ruger SR22 pistol.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 10:04:09 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
This

Link Posted: 9/19/2015 10:05:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 11:27:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I was looking for a .22 suppressor host not too long ago.  I wanted something that was similar to my Glock and XDM.  I was going to go with the P22 because of the price point, but ended up with a M&P .22 Compact that I got on sale for $270.  I haven't actually got it yet because it is still at my FFL because I got called back offshore before I could go pick it.  But the consensus I got on here is that it is a nice little pistol.  We shall see
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 11:36:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I like my P22 as a suppressor host.
BUT, I love my 422.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 11:39:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

+1
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Had one, slide cracked.  Got it replaced and sold it.  Pot metal.  Get a Ruger.
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 12:18:27 AM EDT
[#7]
The reputation of this pistol is one of a great design and exceptionally poor construction.  I would run away from a P22 with arms flailing.
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 12:44:39 AM EDT
[#8]
I've seen pics of failed slides on the long barrel version.Mine only get's used as a short barrel.
Except for the new barrel within a year, mine's been great. Every time I take it to a shoot, with or without a can, people shoot the snot out of it. No worries.
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 1:00:50 AM EDT
[#9]
I've owned a p22, and currently have a m&p22 compact and sr22.  The m&p is by far my favorite. It's never jammed with any ammo i've fed it. Makes a great silencer host too.  The Ruger is nice as well, and hasn't given me any issues, but I really don't like Ruger in general.  I bought it before they had threaded versions so no idea how good of a host it makes, but i'm guessing it's fine.  The P22...eh. I sold it and never looked back.  Some days it worked, others it didn't. And when it didn't work, it didn't work. Not just an occasional jam, like, every other shot jam.  Not to mention i drop the magazine when pulling the trigger half the time, along with most everyone that ever tried shooting it. A side note, a Ruger MK anything has been a terrible suppressor host in my experience.  I've not seen any of them that will cycle sub sonic reliably.
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 3:34:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Would not buy. Finicky with ammo. My wife wanted to shoot one at the range. Multiple failures with the ammo we shot through it. Failure  to  fire, failure to extract, stove pipes.
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 5:05:11 AM EDT
[#11]
p22 = piece of shit
ppq22 = decent gun, friend has one, no failures so far with 3k rounds so far.
my old sr22 ate anythng as well.

you impulse bought and will cry now.
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 7:56:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 7:57:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 11:33:57 AM EDT
[#14]
I have one.  I think its  POS but it looks cool.  Won't run on most cheap bulk ammo but it likes Rem golden bullets .  I don't get rid of it cause it's my quietest handgun suppressor host for some reason.  I'll shoot it till it wears out.
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 1:54:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Mine runs fine on anything.    
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 6:23:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This

Undeniably this.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 10:17:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 11:01:09 AM EDT
[#18]
I have an early production one from around 2003-04.  It was the version that came with both the short and long barrel.  I used to shoot it mainly with the long barrel and fake compensator attached.  

Somewhere about 20K rounds I had a slide crack - in two places (or at least that is when I noticed it).  They sent me a new slide (around 2009), I sold the long barrel and only shot in the short barrel config.  I believe the failure was the result of the compensator coming in contact with the slide during the slide return. (Archived thread https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=5&f=50&t=74024)

Around 25K+ rounds I started getting really bad key holes - just about every round.  Most likely due to the thousands and thousands of Rem Thunderbolt I shot through it early on.   I stopped shooting it, until a couple months ago when I finally found a new barrel in stock.  Back in business now and shoot it pretty much every time I go to the range.

All in all it has been a great pistol for what it is (and costing about $220 several years ago).  At the time choices where limited, if I was buying another 22LR pistol of that style, it would most definitely be am M&P22Compact.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 11:50:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Never seen one that would consistently work.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 12:38:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Mine works great , as long as it's clean for the most part. After about 500 rds it will start to choke a bit.

Mine has been sitting collecting dust as the kids don't shoot it anymore.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 12:42:15 PM EDT
[#21]
I bought one for the kids to start out with as the grip is very small and it fit their hands great. I ended up sending it back to S&W because the rear sight was coming off....and it was jamming on whatever ammo I tried to feed it. They replaced all of the internals and the rear sight. Now, the rear sight is loose as hell but I'm not gonna go through the hassle of getting it repaired again. The Ruger MK II I have since I was a kid still works like a champ. The P22 is the only gun I have that I won't miss when it's gone.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 1:44:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Take a close look at the PPQ 22 with threaded barrel.  I have one and really like it so far!!  I wanted to buy the P22 but way too many negative reviews.  The PPQ feels great in the hand and fits any caliber PPQ accessories.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 2:30:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep.

Even with the retarded backwards safety, I'd never touch a P22 or a Mosquito again.   Two of the only guns I was ever truly happy to get rid of.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 2:40:45 PM EDT
[#24]
I had one and I sold it, it wouldn't run on cci mini mags 100% reliable so I sold it, but it ran flawless with aguila interceptor which had the highest velocity, kind of wish I still had it since it was fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 6:29:25 PM EDT
[#25]
I had one when they first were released, had nothing but problems, sent it back and still had problems, sent it back again and still had the same problems. AVOID it...
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 9:17:25 PM EDT
[#26]
An Umarex built toy gun that is by far the most problematic firearm sold with the Walther banner on it.

Yet they still keep selling the thing.  

Browning Buckmark FTW.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 4:28:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
An Umarex built toy gun that is by far the most problematic firearm sold with the Walther banner on it.

Browning Buckmark FTW.
View Quote

They actually make it themselves now...ppq22. And it works great.
That's why u see all the p22s on discount.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 7:00:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Check the proof marks on the PPQ 22.  I'm pretty sure it's an Arnsberg built gun, not made in Ulm, but it is a step above the P22 for sure.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 7:59:01 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Browning Buckmark FTW.
View Quote
I see you have never had the chance to shoot a Walther G22.

Link Posted: 10/7/2015 8:09:13 AM EDT
[#30]
I had one.  After shooting it a bit, the safety started moving halfway into the safe position while shooting, which blocked the hammer.  Dropping the hammer on it would move it back up to fire.  Pop pop click pop click pop pop click.  Really annoying and took forever to figure out.  The front sight fell off several times, it just snaps in.  The slide was getting chewed up by some of the lower parts.  It really liked ejecting hot brass onto my hand, arm, and sometimes my face.  It did like Golden Bullets.

Sell it now while it's still new and pretty and not tearing itself apart.

A buddy impulse bought a G22.  He really regrets that.  It won't feed anything.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 12:46:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
...that you are better off buying a Ruger SR22 just about any other rimfire pistol.
View Quote

Fixed it

Sorry but the P22's are junk IMO
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top