Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2015 9:09:30 PM EDT
A local shop has the above pistol for $202 (out the door) with 2 mags.  It has fixed sights and a 5"(ish) tapered barrel, no box though and about 80% finish. Should I?
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 9:17:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I should add that I don't own a .22 and I have the cash burning a hole in my pocket (but not much more!)
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 9:41:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Go get it Brother seriously
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 11:11:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I say get it.  Ruger still supports this pistol and it varies from later designs.  The very early Ruger pistol mags had the loading assist pin on the opposite side than the current magazines.  If you purchase Mark I magazine and the tab is on the wrong side I think you can drift out the retaining pin on the follower tab and switch it to match your pistol.  Everyone of these Mark I's  I have shot were accurate.
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 12:26:03 PM EDT
[#4]
The old guy in the shop said it didn't have any mags but the younger guy dug through his box of odd mags and found a couple of later mags we then we moved the pin to the other side and checked them with some snap caps. They fed fine.

Heading back tomorrow morning.  Fingers crossed!
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 12:38:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Normally I would warn you to be cautious that a pistol that old might be worn out but I have never seen a Standard or mark series with any problems,

Not a super discount price but pretty reasonable.

The only way to lock the bolt open is with the safety . Not really a issue for a rimfire target type pistol .

Should be a fine shooter
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 5:11:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Good gun good price . I just got back from the range with it . It is still working very well with the Mark two magazines . I have a post a few down from this one about my Ruger all though mine is from 1972 with the a100 frame .
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 5:34:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Buy now!
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 1:26:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the replies. Since it was a recent trade in I have to wait until next month to pick it up but I put a deposit down on it.  Now to pick up a few different brands of .22, which now seems to be a bit easier!
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 5:23:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Mkii>Mkiiii>Mki

The MKi pistols are the least desirable since the don't have an automatic slide stop and use a 9rd mag.  You can buy a new MKIIII for less than $300.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 8:53:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Haters gotta hate.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 8:34:21 AM EDT
[#11]
One of the most reliable and accurate 22's ever made for a couple hundred bucks? A no brainer!
Other than being notoriously hard to reassemble they are a great gun ( I understand once you are familiar with them the assembly gets easier)
But you do not have to disassemble very often to keep them running.
I have never owned one but for that price would scoop one up for sure
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 11:48:42 AM EDT
[#12]
I have one from 1964. It came with the original box, manual and original magazines.  

Ended up selling the box and original magazines. The money from selling  those 3 items made the gun free.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 3:43:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I still have a couple of weeks until I can pick it up and then shoot it.  Im still pretty excited about it, I need to pick up some a couple of different boxes of .22 for it, I have 444 rounds of Winchester WB.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 11:35:08 PM EDT
[#14]
I was excited to buy a mk1 for $300 OTD

Don't pay attention to those who don't know what a deal you got.

Mk3"s are cheap cause of that damn lock Ruger felt PC about.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 6:58:03 PM EDT
[#15]
They are fun little pistols. I inherited this one from my dad after he got it from my grandfather. My mom bought it new in 1959 for $35 and gave it to my grandfather for Father's Day. It was pretty hammered by the time I got it. I sent it back to Ruger for a re-blue and they replaced some pins and springs and sent it back looking pretty much brand new. It will go to my son some day.

Link Posted: 10/7/2015 1:46:06 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a early MK 1, standard, 4" barrel, with factory walnut grips. I traded a Rockchucker for it 30 odd years ago. Possibly my favorite gun.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:13:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mkii>Mkiiii>Mki

The MKi pistols are the least desirable since the don't have an automatic slide stop and use a 9rd mag.  You can buy a new MKIIII for less than $300.
View Quote

I think Mk3 is the worst.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 3:43:12 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

They are fun little pistols. I inherited this one from my dad after he got it from my grandfather. My mom bought it new in 1959 for $35 and gave it to my grandfather for Father's Day. It was pretty hammered by the time I got it. I sent it back to Ruger for a re-blue and they replaced some pins and springs and sent it back looking pretty much brand new. It will go to my son some day.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r3/onesureshot/KRugerStandard_zps7f3ee9c1.jpg
View Quote

Do you remember what they charged for that?  This one of my dads from 1977 could use the same.

Link Posted: 10/17/2015 10:36:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Do you remember what they charged for that?  This one of my dads from 1977 could use the same.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/parshooter/Ruger%20MKI%20-%201977_zpsouylcdpc.jpg

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r3/onesureshot/KRugerStandard_zps7f3ee9c1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/parshooter/Ruger%20MKI%20-%201977_zpsouylcdpc.jpg

I want to say I paid around $50 - $60 for everything including shipping, but  it has been 16-18 years ago. You could try calling them and see what they say.

That being said, I like the looks of what you have there, and it is in much better shape than mine was by the time I got it. I debated sending it in and having the family history taken away from it. In some ways I regret having had it done. Now it looks like a new pistol and not the one my grandfather and dad carried.
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 7:04:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Crappy weather here so no good pics but I picked it up today and should get to shoot tomorrow.  Fingers crossed!

Link Posted: 10/20/2015 5:16:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Looks good, let us know how it shoots.

I just thought I'd let you know about one of the quirks with my Ruger Mark I target with 5 1/2" bull barrel.  My pistol will not feed the top round out of the magazine with the slide locked back.  If I insert a full 9 round magazine and pull and release the slide it will chamber every time.  To lock the slide back, pull the slide to the rear and flip the safety from fire to safe.  Moving the safety from safe to fire will release the slide.  The slide does not lock back on the last round, if you need ten rounds feed one round into the chamber and top off the mag.  Magazine capacity was never an issue for me when I first started shooting.  The Ruger Mark I was my first gun, my Dad bought the gun for me with my money since I was not 21.  I will never sell my Ruger Mark I and hopefully neither will my kids or grand kids.

My Mark I has digested many 10's of thousands of rounds since purchase in 1973 and has been very reliable.  The Mark I can be a pain to disassemble for cleaning.  For routine cleaning a bore snake comes in very handy.   I will take my Mark I apart  now but it can be frustrating the first time or two.  Ruger has videos as others for reassembly of Mark I's if you have difficulty.  Overall great accurate guns they just don't make them like that anymore.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 9:38:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for the insights.  I have cycled it with snap caps and everything seemed hunky dory, looks like Saturday before I can shoot it.  I only have Winchester White Box (the 222 count ones) so hopefully it likes them!
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 9:53:49 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I want to say I paid around $50 - $60 for everything including shipping, but  it has been 16-18 years ago. You could try calling them and see what they say.

That being said, I like the looks of what you have there, and it is in much better shape than mine was by the time I got it. I debated sending it in and having the family history taken away from it. In some ways I regret having had it done. Now it looks like a new pistol and not the one my grandfather and dad carried.
View Quote

Well, they certainly did a great job with the finish but I understand your mixed feelings about the re-blue.  That makes sense and mine will probably stay as-is.

Link Posted: 10/20/2015 9:55:48 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Crappy weather here so no good pics but I picked it up today and should get to shoot tomorrow.  Fingers crossed!

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xat1/v/t1.0-9/12109096_10153213880537551_6377127337174208324_n.jpg?oh=e14f45a422390d8a7a6bffc45accc5d4&oe=56CDA9A5
View Quote

Congratulations on your score!  These are great guns and that one could serve you well for the rest of your life.

Link Posted: 10/22/2015 5:14:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Great score, can't imagine finding a better deal on one that runs. I've owned MKI's, MKII's and currently own a stainless MKIII Hunter and have nothing but good to say about them.Even if you don't like it or have problems, at that price you can't get hurt too bad. Have fun with it and enjoy...............
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 3:48:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Very nice.  I have a Mk1 that my Dad gave me and it's the most reliable .22 pistol I've ever fired.  I get very little ftf's with it.  I don't even really remember any.  I'm sure I've had some, it's just so infrequent.   It's accurate too.  Although I never benched it and tested it.  I guess I need to take some pics of it......

I personally think they're ugly though.    But man it runs.
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 4:15:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Well it runs! Only ammo I had on hand was WWB and Remington Golden Bullet. WWB ran fine (couple of hiccups) but the first couple of rounds of Golden Bullet would hang up in the chamber, in hindsight I should have marked the mags to see if it was always with the same mag (which I suspect it was since a half mag would load fine).

However it shoots great and seems accurate, I was shooting for function rather than groups.  All in all I'm pretty darn happy.
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 11:59:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Glad to here you like your Mark I, thanks for letting us know you got to shoot it.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 7:15:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Took the MK I to the range again today after a thorough scrubbing and lubing. I was shocked that the range had CCI mini mags in stock so I bought some of them and the Ruger gobbled them up as well as the WWB, golden bullets and some armscorp too.  I had the biggest smile on my face. That thing is fun.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 9:42:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Nice grab. I think you did well on price with 2 mags. Reminds me a lot of my Mark II that I found at a local shop.

Link Posted: 12/5/2015 10:31:05 PM EDT
[#31]
That's a nice one John.

I wish I had a model like that.  years ago I bought a Mark II gubmint target model.  At the time I shot a lot of practice for our NG unit team.  Now a days I never touch the gun and wish I had a field model.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 11:39:38 PM EDT
[#32]
It's a lot of fun busting fist size dirt clods on the 50yd berm with it. Not every time but more than half. Brings a smile every time.

I originally liked them as a lad because they look so much like a Luger.
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 8:00:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Mkii>Mkiiii>Mki

View Quote

You should have said the MKI is the least desirable for you.  Personally, and I know quite a few like me, we prefer the original standards and MKI's because they don't have all the needless gimcracks that we added to the later models.  All the changes did was degrade the quality of the trigger and adversely effect the accuracy in doing so.  

If I'd come across this one I would have bought it on the spot.  Even if it had some minor issues they are usually very easy to deal with.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 11:05:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

You should have said the MKI is the least desirable for you.  Personally, and I know quite a few like me, we prefer the original standards and MKI's because they don't have all the needless gimcracks that we added to the later models.  All the changes did was degrade the quality of the trigger and adversely effect the accuracy in doing so.  

If I'd come across this one I would have bought it on the spot.  Even if it had some minor issues they are usually very easy to deal with.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mkii>Mkiiii>Mki

Spot on! I too went looking for an older model because I prefer the simplicity and original feel of the pistol I learned to shoot some 45+ years ago. I recently happened upon 2 slightly used Mk I 's at a north Phoenix gun shop. Needless to say the nicer of the two went home with me that day, a 1981 model.

Link Posted: 1/30/2016 3:05:03 PM EDT
[#35]
I went to a show today and picked up a Mk1 5 1/2 Bull barrel target pistol for $189+tax.  It is in excellent shape.  I have an early 1952 Mk1 standard, this will go nice with but I am giving the bull target gun to my dad for him to enjoy for now - He wanted a 22 pistol but wouldn't spend the money on himself so a that price I figured why not?

I love these old 22 pistols  evidently at one time 22 pistols were made of this strange heavy material called "steel?" has anyone hear of such a thing - a 22 pistol made out of "steel"? (sarcastic - as their are too many polymer 22s out there.0
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top