Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2015 10:10:25 AM EDT
I have one of the recent C.A.I. imported Beretta 71 .22lr pistols. I have removed the fake suppressor and want to use my real SWR Spectre II on it. My question is does anybody make a thread adapter for these that doesn't appear to be so long looking? The Gemtech CZ452 adapter seems to be the shortest looking one I have found on line. This is a really nice example and I want it to look good so I am willing to pay for a custom adapter and barrel re-threading job but need someone to say they can do it for me and provide me a price. Can anybody help me with this?? Thanks....Mike
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 10:33:03 AM EDT
[#1]
From what I've seen researching this pistol is that there's not enough barrel there for a rethread.  Replacement barrels are nonexistent.  Can you get a replacement cap for the can with the 1/2x20 threads?
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 11:03:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 2:15:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm waiting on one of these pistols to get delivered to my ffl.  In the meantime I've been reading the various posts on them.  The cleanest adapter i've come across had the barrel counter drilled and threaded.  The adapter was male to male and threaded into the barrel, it had a decent sized shoulder, and then the 1/2x28 thread.

Kinda like this.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 2:17:45 PM EDT
[#4]
here's another one.

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 1:33:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got one of these. I was able to get the faux can off pretty easy. CAI didn't turn down the barrel, they just threaded the outside diameter to 1/2X20 and clipped off about half of the front sight. The barrel might be able to be turned down and threaded to 1/2X28 and a thread protector would be flush with the outside diameter of the barrel. With a suppressor you would have no sights. Mines not very accurate with sights anyway, but has never had a malfunction. I have a couple of cheap 1/2X20 thread protectors made form a guy on _bay. They both look good, but looked horrible on the gun. Bare threads look better. I might just have the barrel turned back and crowned flush with what's left of the front sight.
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 1:19:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Silencerco makes an adapter. It's cheap enough and works like a charm. No issues with my sparrow or spectre.

Link
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 1:10:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm waiting on one of these pistols to get delivered to my ffl.  In the meantime I've been reading the various posts on them.  The cleanest adapter i've come across had the barrel counter drilled and threaded.  The adapter was male to male and threaded into the barrel, it had a decent sized shoulder, and then the 1/2x28 thread.
View Quote

I'd be interested in having this done. Any idea who did the work?
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 2:35:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've got one of these. I was able to get the faux can off pretty easy. CAI didn't turn down the barrel, they just threaded the outside diameter to 1/2X20 and clipped off about half of the front sight. The barrel might be able to be turned down and threaded to 1/2X28 and a thread protector would be flush with the outside diameter of the barrel. With a suppressor you would have no sights. Mines not very accurate with sights anyway, but has never had a malfunction. I have a couple of cheap 1/2X20 thread protectors made form a guy on _bay. They both look good, but looked horrible on the gun. Bare threads look better. I might just have the barrel turned back and crowned flush with what's left of the front sight.
View Quote

Getting my faux can off has been anything but easy.   Filed down to setscrew opening, applied heat, set screw strips.  Drill out set screw with similar sized bit, apply heat and it still won't budge. Drill out to a slightly larger diameter end mill bit, apply heat and nope.  Drill out with even larger end mill bit, apply heat with a torch and use a pipe wrench on the can, nothing.  I can see the threads and verify that there isn't any set screw left but this thing won't budge.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 10:09:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I have removed the faux suppressor on two of these pistols. One went just like clock work and I was able to get an allen key in the set screw after grinding away at the plug weld and heated everything up with a torch to effect removal. The second was a PITA. I was never able get a wrench in the set screw and botched an attempt at drilling it out. That bbl now sports an 11 degree target crown and is a bit shorter
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 2:07:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks,  I couldn't find anyone else having problems with this and thought "why am I so F#$%ing retarded?"
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 8:57:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks,  I couldn't find anyone else having problems with this and thought "why am I so F#$%ing retarded?"
View Quote

Nope, I would bet few are willing to admit problems. I would prob suggest chopping the length back on the fake suppressor and then cutting a slot on each side parallel to the bbl with one groove over the set screw area.. I would then attempt to split the fake suppressor into two halves to free the bbl with a chisel or similar tool. I have heard of a few of these with botched threads under the fake suppressors, good luck.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 7:08:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have removed the faux suppressor on two of these pistols. One went just like clock work and I was able to get an allen key in the set screw after grinding away at the plug weld and heated everything up with a torch to effect removal. The second was a PITA. I was never able get a wrench in the set screw and botched an attempt at drilling it out. That bbl now sports an 11 degree target crown and is a bit shorter
View Quote

My Beretta 71 was like your second one, my gunsmith had to cut the darn thing off and redo the crown.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top