Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2015 8:18:50 AM EDT
So I had one mag that was being a bastard when feeding a round or two every now and again.  Rounds were just nosediving into the feed ramps and getting chunks gouged out of them.

Turns out it is a simple fix.  I took a pair of calipers and measured both sets of lips on a mag that worked great and compared the one that was acting up.  The rear lip should have been .210, but was .195 instead.  A quick tweak with some pliers to get it in shape worked great.  (I just put a closed pair of pliers between the feed lips and gently rotated it.  Stop to measure, rinse and repeat till done)

Ran 50 rounds through that mag today without a single hiccup.  Thought I'd pass it on.

FOR THE RECORD:
Don't take this for gospel and please measure one of the mags that works for you before modifying anything.  I imagine the feed lip dimensions would be similar/identical, but rimfires are known to have some individual quirks.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 8:28:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Good info.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 8:34:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, i will check mine when i get home.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 7:30:35 PM EDT
[#3]
So I picked up another TacSol mag yesterday.  Feed lips were small in the back so I gave them a small tweak after writing the measurements down.  Will take it to the range this weekend and confirm results.

I just really like the tacsol bases.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 1:14:55 PM EDT
[#4]
You guys probably know there is a tool made just for this job. It has a little slot cut in it that the feed lip goes into and than you gently "adjust" the opening.

Here is one that is listed for an AR-15 but these things are somewhat universal. I have seen others that were specific for certain firearms. There are some made for the small magazines used on .22 caliber pistols. I have made these before with a dremel tool with a cutter wheel. But, often simple pliers can do the trick too.

Mag lip adjuster tool.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top