Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2015 4:52:09 AM EDT
Looking to improve my 1911 shooting skills. Would like it to be as close to my Dan Wesson Razorback as possible, so it must have Novak style sights.

Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:05:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't know what a Dan Wesson Razorback is, but back in the day, Bullseye shooting was very popular.  1911s' were a favourite, as the trigger could be dialed in to be sweet.  Bullseye shooters shot 22s as well.  High Standard made Supermatic Victors and Supermatic Citations that mimicked the grip angle and trigger of the tuned 45s - and were a favourite of Bullseye shooters, too  Actually, the one I have has a better trigger than any other handgun I have shot.

So perhaps my answer won't be the best one you get, but when I first read your post, I thought of High Standard Supermatic Citations and Victors.

Ray
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:08:04 AM EDT
[#2]
You could get a 22 upper for the DW, or one of the 22 1911s out there.  I have a ruger 22/45....great shooter but not a 1911.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:27:02 AM EDT
[#3]
How about this?

COLT 1911 A1 22LR RAIL GUN

• Manufacturer: COLT

• Model: 1911-A1

• Caliber: 22 LR

• Capacity: 12

• Barrel Length: 5"

• Finish: BLACK

• SKU: COL5170308

• UPC: 723364200878

• In Stock

Regular Price: $449.00

Special Sale: $289.99

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:32:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How about this?http://www.cdnnsports.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/600x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/c/o/col5170308.jpg
http://www.cdnnsports.com/colt-1911-a1-22lr-rail-gun.html#.VLvCOoe3YZo

COLT 1911 A1 22LR RAIL GUN

• Manufacturer: COLT
  • Model: 1911-A1
  • Caliber: 22 LR
  • Capacity: 12
  • Barrel Length: 5"
  • Finish: BLACK
  • SKU: COL5170308
  • UPC: 723364200878
  • In Stock
[div style='box-sizing: border-box; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; font-size: 30px; line-height: inherit; font-family: inherit; margin: 0px; padding: 24px 0px 0px; border: 0px; vertical-align: baseline;  color: rgb(149, 17, 31);'][div style='box-sizing: border-box; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; font-size: 28px; line-height: inherit; font-family: inherit; margin: 0px; padding: 4px 0px 0px; border: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; ']Regular Price: $449.00

Special Sale: $289.99

View Quote

Not made by Colt, but labeled  Walther in Germany most likely made by Umarex the airsoft manufacturer.

The closets thing to the OPs pistol would be a .22 upper installed on an actual 1911 lower.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:27:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Whats wrong with Walther/Umerex?

The M&P22 was pretty well done.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:42:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Go buy a .22 Marvel slide assy. and  several extra mags. Enjoy.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:15:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

The .22 Umarex "Colt" 1911 has a zinc pot metal slide and frame.

S&W, however, specified that Umarex utilize a slide manufactured from machined aluminum bar stock on a polymer frame for the  "S&W" M&P.22.

Umarex is the king of shitty zinc pot metal pistols with slides that crack and fall apart.

BTW: the new line of M&P.22 Compacts isn't manufactured by Umarex.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:54:45 AM EDT
[#8]
I haven't found a thing I can really complain about with my GSG 1911 in the 3000+ rounds I have put through it.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:08:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

S&W, however, specified that Umarex utilize a slide manufactured from machined aluminum bar stock on a polymer frame for the  "S&W" M&P.22.

Umarex is the king of shitty zinc pot metal pistols with slides that crack and fall apart.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I knew the 22c was made state side. I wasn't aware of pot metal slides in walther's other gun's though. That is kind of a let down.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:06:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a Colt in 45acp that I have set up with a decent trigger and grips that I like.

I have a Kimber conversion that has sights similar to the ones I put on my Colt.

Balance and weight is a bit different and of course the recoil is different but with the grip , size , shape and trigger being much the same
it is about as close as possible.

It works well for me.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:02:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I knew the 22c was made state side. I wasn't aware of pot metal slides in walther's other gun's though. That is kind of a let down.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The new Walther (Umarex) .22 "PPK" is ZAMAK pot metal crap that doesn't even accept the magazines from the original models.

The P22 is a ZAMAK pot metal pistol as well.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:23:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have a Colt in 45acp that I have set up with a decent trigger and grips that I like.

I have a Kimber conversion that has sights similar to the ones I put on my Colt.

Balance and weight is a bit different and of course the recoil is different but with the grip , size , shape and trigger being much the same
it is about as close as possible.

It works well for me.
View Quote

I recently sold my Umarex .22 1911 to help fund the purchase of a TacSol conversion, I definitely made the right choice. The pot metal guns are acceptable, but they can't hold a candle to a conversion kit on a frame you've got set up just how you like it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 12:21:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I haven't found a thing I can really complain about with my GSG 1911 in the 3000+ rounds I have put through it.

View Quote

+1 I love my GSG!
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 12:58:53 PM EDT
[#14]
I have enjoyed my GSG 1911 as well. I also have a Marvel Unit 1 on a Colt National Match lower. When I go to the range I seem to grab the GSG more, not because it's better (or shoots better) but with the 22 LR I have the GSG shoots pretty darn good. (The Marvel unit really needs expensive match ammo to shoot it's best (as does any gun)). I use the Marvel when I have the good match ammo.

Pot Metal concerns? Well- I'll worry about that IF I ever encounter a problem. I don't listen to internet crap where most posts are about "I read that...." or "I heard it from a guy who knows a guy who's nephew  had a problem". If there was a big issue on this there would be MANY more posts on slides cracking and how shitty the gun is. I just think some people like to talk like they know what their talking about although they really don't have first hand experience. Sure, the GSG is perhaps not the BEST material- but the GSG cost was FAR lower than my Marvel Gun.

In case anyone wants to know, the GSG magazines work great in my Marvel conversion, and are a lot cheaper than the Colt Mags!
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:10:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have enjoyed my GSG 1911 as well. I also have a Marvel Unit 1 on a Colt National Match lower. When I go to the range I seem to grab the GSG more, not because it's better (or shoots better) but with the 22 LR I have the GSG shoots pretty darn good. (The Marvel unit really needs expensive match ammo to shoot it's best (as does any gun)). I use the Marvel when I have the good match ammo.

Pot Metal concerns? Well- I'll worry about that IF I ever encounter a problem. I don't listen to internet crap where most posts are about "I read that...." or "I heard it from a guy who knows a guy who's nephew  had a problem". If there was a big issue on this there would be MANY more posts on slides cracking and how shitty the gun is. I just think some people like to talk like they know what their talking about although they really don't have first hand experience. Sure, the GSG is perhaps not the BEST material- but the GSG cost was FAR lower than my Marvel Gun.

In case anyone wants to know, the GSG magazines work great in my Marvel conversion, and are a lot cheaper than the Colt Mags!
View Quote

I can't speak for the GSG as I've never owned or closely examined one, but the Colt/Umarex guns do have steel inserts in the zinc slide at the breech face and as a firing pin stop.  Those little bits of steel in some of the spots that take the most stress should greatly extend the life of the gun.  After a long time you might have issues with the slide stop notch (since you have a steel part rubbing against a zinc one) rounding off, but that should take a very long time to become an issue.  

As I said before, they do work and are perfectly acceptable for most applications you might need a .22 pistol for.  The GSG or Umarex pistol is to the Marvel/TacSol slide as a Toyota is to a BMW.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 3:03:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Dont buy the GSG. The sights are garbage and require re-work if you want real sights.
Plus it is a pinned barrel and the lock up is not very good on the bushing.

Advantage arms or a marvel or a kimber 1911. I like the kimber because of the match barrel.

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 4:46:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Love my XT-22
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:56:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Do any of the commonly available 1911 conversions come with a threaded barrel for suppressor use?  The only one I've seen is one from Advantage Arms.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:51:40 PM EDT
[#19]
TacSol does
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 4:57:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
TacSol does
View Quote

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 3:07:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Anything that has accuracy, good sights, good trigger, and fits your hand.  Focused practice with all of these in place will make you a better shooter.  Being a better shooter carries over to other handguns regardless of form factor.  Of course, nothing wrong with the 1911 format so if that floats your boat a High Standard Victor or Marvel assembly.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 3:04:52 PM EDT
[#22]
a colt ace 1 or colt ace 2 slide on a series 70 frame
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 10:31:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Go buy a .22 Marvel slide assy. and  several extra mags. Enjoy.
View Quote

This would be my choice

I am going to edit this by saying that the Marvel unit that is from Nelson Custom is the way to go.
It is an updated version of that style. It is my understanding that Bob Marvel is not involved with the Marvel Precision company.

I will be have on soon with the threaded barrel option
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top