Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/21/2014 12:04:07 AM EDT
Looking at a semi auto 22 pistol. Like the way the Ruger SR22 feels and like the look price of the ISSC M22 (looks like a glock). I know the Ruger SR22 has a good rep but have not heard much about the ISSC.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:24:29 PM EDT
[#1]
These were brought into the USA 3 or 4 years ago by ATI and the quality control was probably worse than Chiappa.  I think the M-22 are made in Italy as a lot of other ATI products.  There were high hopes for the M-22 as a cheap 22 rimfire trainer for Glock shooters but there seemed to be way to much cheap and most people think they are trash.  Maybe their better now but there are better options IMHO.  Maybe someone else will chime in.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:38:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Rimfire semi autos are tricky. To run properly you need a fine balance between a spring that has the power to close the slide even if a bit dirty but still light enough that the fairly wimpy cartridge can power it.

This is compounded by having lots of different ammo companies with lots of different ammo at different power levels.
Rimfire ammo is fairly dirty and the blowback actions have to operate in their own filth .

In general the cheaper guns use more cheap pot metal and fit and finish is not so great . They may run decent when fairly new but after several thousand rounds they can get pretty sketchy.

The old high standards and colts were great in their time but really are mostly collector pieces now.

Folks will have lots of brand preference but Ruger and Buckmark are the two that jump out as winners and S&W has had some decent guns in the past but I am not sure what they have in their current lineup .

The Ruger Standard , Mark I and Mark II have always been top performers for me . Never had a zinc (potmetal) gun that held up
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:52:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
These were brought into the USA 3 or 4 years ago by ATI and the quality control was probably worse than Chiappa.  I think the M-22 are made in Italy as a lot of other ATI products.   There were high hopes for the M-22 as a cheap 22 rimfire trainer for Glock shooters but there seemed to be way to much cheap and most people think they are trash.  Maybe their better now but there are better options IMHO.  Maybe someone else will chime in.
View Quote

Where did that info come from? I know when they first hit the market, they were under the name of ISSC-Austria, and were marketed as direct-imports from Austria (through Massachusetts, if i recall correctly). Legacy sports bought the brand after they went out of business, though.  This is the first i've heard anything about ATI importing or them being made in Italy, I'd like to learn more about that if you have a link.

As for the M22, I have two - one threaded, and one regular barrel (both Walther barrels).  The threaded barreled M22 has easily 5000+ rounds through it, most suppressed. The non-threaded has maybe 2000+.  Both have run flawlessly the whole time i've had them (except when dirty after about 400rds). After I broke them in with 200 rounds of CCI Mini Mags, they will run any crap .22 I put in them.  I mostly feed Blazer 525 bulk pack, but recently it has been Remington Thunderbolt bucket-o-bullets. They both have impressive accuracy, regardless of ammo used. I hit a man-sized steel target at 100 yards easily after adjusting the rear sight. Cleaning is a cinch, and takedown is similar to a Glock.

The M22 does not hold up as a proper glock-trainer. It is just a little bit smaller, but enough of a difference to notice in your hand. Maybe 5-8% smaller and significantly lighter than a Glock19.  It has a hammer, and an ambedextrious safety/decocker on the slide. While it has the same basic shape of a glock and same grip angle, I dont think it fairly earned the title of a glock trainer. Granted, nothing else has the shape of the glock the way the ISSC does, and ISSC did get sued on its original design for copying the Glock, ....but no.  It even takes stock Glock sights (at least the front sight in my experience). Good thing too, because there is virtually no aftermarket support.  Legacy sells recoil springs for $5 each, and I havent had to replace one yet. Yeah it's pot-metal, but nearly all .22LR pistols are pot metal.

Long story short, The ISSC M22 is good for what it is; a $199 22LR pistol. If you are going to pay more, there are better options out there. For example, the GSG 1911-22 is one, so is the S&W M&P22. But get the M22 also.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 4:43:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I was in error on the ISSC  M-22 being manufactured in Italy but where I made the wrong assumption is that Legacy got the M22 from ATI.  Legacy Sports imports the M-1 carbine 22 rimfire and 1911 22 rimfire which carry the name Citadel whereas M-1 & 1911 are also imported by ATI and sold as Chiappa.   As with a lot of the cheaper imported guns every specimen does not function as they should.  Every manufacturer has had a bad example get into circulation but I know of a shop that quit carry the M22 because customers were not satisfied.  

I was hoping other users would chime in as the M22 may have been improved but in my area the ISSC M22 is not a good seller.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 8:21:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Are spare mags available?  I just ordered 3, 1 for me and 2 for 2 of my sons.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 9:23:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Holy moly mags are lacking again! I guess they are selling out now that the guns are below $200.

Keep an eye on CDNN, they are usually $25 there. Midwayusa will let you backorder them.

EDIT: found mags available at JGsales.com, but they are $35 each.  You gotta weigh cost with availability, i guess.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 10:59:08 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Are spare mags available?  I just ordered 3, 1 for me and 2 for 2 of my sons.
View Quote
Glad I found this post, I keep seeing the ad from Centerfire for $189, which seems like a decent price for a .22

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/handguns-manufacturer-issc.aspx?utm_source=streamsend&utm_medium=email&utm_content=23103759&utm_campaign=LAST%20CHANCE!%20Price%20going%20up%20on%20Friday!%20Get%20your%20M22%20today!

Is this the price everyone is seeing?

Link Posted: 1/22/2015 12:15:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes. I just got an email from them stating that the price is supposedly going up tomorrow. I was thinking of getting one, but seems there are mixed reviews on them. Some say they are great and others say they are shit and not worth buying...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top