Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2014 10:11:09 PM EDT
Who has one? Worth the cost for target shooting? Where can you buy them? They seem really hard to get. And finally, what are the differences between the standard and the performance shop version?
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 10:12:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I've only shot them and they're wonderfully accurate pistols.....

Link Posted: 12/9/2014 10:50:19 PM EDT
[#2]
had a older one with all three matching barrels best 22 pistol to date iv shot.... I now want a volquartzen scorpion seems pricey but bad ass..
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 11:46:08 PM EDT
[#3]
  Picked one up on the EE here a few years ago. Out of about a dozen 22 pistols on the rack it is by far my favorite.  Crazy accurate with good ammo, mine seems to prefer Federal 711b.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 6:35:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I own one and it is not the performance model instead I sent it to clark custom guns for reliability package, trigger job and their match barrel...pistol is incredibly accurate
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 8:46:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Used ones are tricky as some of those old target shooting guys that are involved in league shooting will run lots of rounds between matches and practice . Some of those guns have gotten a bit sloppy.

A 41 can be a real slap in the face because if you are not shooting well it is you, all you .

They are set up for standard velocity ammo , mine is happy with CCI STD (good luck finding that)

I lucked into one about 15 years ago. At the time new ones were about $1000  and used ones I was finding seemed to have lots of rounds thru them and were still $650-$750 . I had pretty much given up my search and was thinking of dropping a pile of money into one of the custom tuned Mark IIs

I was in a small shop (custom gunsmith with mostly ARs and 1911s) who had a like new in box 41 that wasn't moving because most of his clients
were not into match 22s . So I have it in my hand realising it has hardly been shot if at all and wondering to myself why it is only marked $549 .

I am not saying anything but the shop owner keeps giving me better deals that ended up being $425 out the door
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 4:58:52 PM EDT
[#6]
My dad got one about 40 years ago when he shoot competition. I think he said he traded a guy a case of .30 ammo for it. He has the heavy barrel and stock long barrel with muzzle break. Its at my house now. I love that gun.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 5:32:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Fantastic pistols.  Limited production.  Rarely turn up used.  Expensive.  If you're a serious bull's-eye shooter they are worth it.  If you're not competition grade probably not worth the extra coin.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 10:23:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Good pistols but the new ones are overpriced and not up to the quality of older production guns. At $1200 I'd be looking at a Benelli MP series or Hammerli Xesse......or going Marvel .

It is very difficult to wear out a good 41 or High Standard unless you do something stupid like run thousands of rounds of HV and never change springs.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 7:03:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I love mine.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 10:47:26 AM EDT
[#10]
*preface* I am not in ANY way trying to compare a model 41 with a 22A1.

That said, if you want to dabble in a similar styled plinker the S&W 22A1 is an inexpensive way to stick one toe in the water, so to speak.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 6:13:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Who has one? Worth the cost for target shooting? Where can you buy them? They seem really hard to get. And finally, what are the differences between the standard and the performance shop version?
View Quote

I have one which I purchaced in November 2008.  It was built that year and I bought it brand new in box from Bud's Gun Shop for about $800.  It is a fine shooting specimen.  Noticed the PC Model 41 has taller sights on them.  My Model 41 eats almost any quality ammo.  I do shoot HV ammo though it but I did install some heavier Wolff springs and a recoil buffer and after thousands of rounds no issues what so ever.  It is the most accurate and sweetest shooting handgun I have in my safe.  Worth every penny I paid for it.  You could see if Gun Broker may have them on auction but be prepared to open your wallet real wide.  HA!
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 11:46:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I shoot one nearly every week in a bullseye league.

Triggers are great
Acceptable reliability, when maintained and fed decent ammo  (I use CCI standard)
I probably go 300-500 rounds between cleaning.  I've had the best luck so far by using a bit of grease on the frame/slide rails but I'm going to try the SLIP EWL 2000 oil next.
Really easy to take apart and put back together
Extremely accurate

They are solid guns, heavy enough that the gun stays mostly on target during timed/rapid fire stages.  There is aftermarket support if you don't like the factory grips- Herrett Nationals with the palm rest are nice.  

If you find a used 41 in  condition, I'd say $800 with two mags is worth it.  Personally I'd look for a used but well preserved gun, rather than buying new.  It's hard to shoot out a .22 barrel so unless the gun is abused a high round count wouldn't worry me too much.  

I started shooting bullseye with a Ruger MKII and despite some trigger work on the Ruger I shoot the Smith 41 quite a bit better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top