User Panel

Posted: 11/27/2014 9:52:05 PM EDT

1. fixed barrel

2. reliable magazines

3. easy to clean

4. slide not prone to breaking in 1000 rounds

5. factory threaded for a can

6. comes with rail for red dot or an after market one is available

AFAIK nothing Ruger or Browning makes passes the "easy to clean" requirement. I want to be able to go 500 to 1000 rounds in a range session without having to stop and clean stuff up. I'm OK with the idea of a GLOCK or Beretta conversion, but they don't have a fixed barrel AFAIK.

What I'd really like is something as easy to clean as a Glock with a fixed barrel.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:34:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Ruger is not hard to clean and if you read the instructions, is not hard to reassemble.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:38:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Ruger does make one 22lr that's easy to clean. I ran 800 rounds of bulk ammo through my Ruger SR22 in one day without any issues at all. It can be bought with a factory threaded barrel, has a fixed barrel and an aluminum slide with a steel insert for the slide lock. Mine will eat anything except American Eagle and is pretty accurate. I'm not sure about the options for mounting a red dot, but I know it can be done.

I also have the Smith M&P 22 compact.  It is very similar to the SR22, but all of them come with a threaded barrel. I only have a couple hundred rounds through it,  so I can't attest to its reliability yet. So far the only issues I have had are with American Eagle as well.

Maybe one of tose two would interest you. They are both on the smaller side, but tons of fun and feel great in the hand.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:02:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Since you speced threaded for a can I guessing that your going to use a silencer on it. The mark 2 or a mark 2 22/45 (or mark 3 either style, with a mag safety delete) is as close as you'll get to a perfect 22 pistol to silence. Learning to clean them isn't difficult. I usually just hose mine out with brake cleaner and relube.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:07:58 PM EDT
[#4]

Colt .22lr 1911.  It should fit your wants.  I'm thinking of getting one.  

http://www.waltherarms.com/products/tactical-rimfire-replicas/government-1911-a1/

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:21:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ruger is not hard to clean and if you read the instructions, is not hard to reassemble.
View Quote

I appreciate your feedback on how easy it is to clean and reassemble the Ruger pistols, if only I were willing to read and follow the instructions.

I have limited manual dexterity and strength due to arthritis. I don't think I should have to justify why I want something easier to maintain, but there it is.

Here is how I have set up my Buckmark so I can rack the slide:

Buckmark with can and shorter barrel by Ry Jones, on Flickr

Here I am tapping the slide:

Tap that hole by Ry Jones, on Flickr

There is the protrusion:

Proof that it worked by Ry Jones, on Flickr

Cleaning the Buckmark is pretty much something I have to delegate. I'd like to find a 22LR pistol I don't have to ask for help disassembling. Thanks for understanding.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:35:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I can't remember who makes it but there's a kit that makes the ruger easy to clean. Allows you to remove the bolt without removing the mainspring. Then it's just a matter of unscrewing a screw and pulling out the bolt, cleaning, replacing the bolt, and replacing the screw.
The cocking piece is also fixable without drilling, a company makes an extended cocking piece that fits over the bolt rear and has larger gripping area.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 3:06:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Hello,

I would say the Bretta NEOs but it does not come with a factory Threaded barrel, would be a gunsmith job. Very relaiable from what I have seen on youtube, not too expensive. Very easy to breakown.

I do not have one, just from what I have seen.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 8:25:32 PM EDT
[#8]
S&W 22a and the Beretta U-22 Neos fit the bill except for the threading, but barrels can be bought/threaded for them.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 8:44:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I can't remember who makes it but there's a kit that makes the ruger easy to clean. Allows you to remove the bolt without removing the mainspring. Then it's just a matter of unscrewing a screw and pulling out the bolt, cleaning, replacing the bolt, and replacing the screw.
The cocking piece is also fixable without drilling, a company makes an extended cocking piece that fits over the bolt rear and has larger gripping area.
View Quote

is this the kit?
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 8:55:10 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

is this the kit?

Yes sir.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 9:05:53 PM EDT
[#11]
"I have limited manual dexterity and strength due to arthritis"

Sorry to hear that, I wish I could help
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 9:23:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Colt Woodsman.  I've detail stripped each one once  ( well, one of them was rebuilt but after the rebuild it has never been taken apart ) and all I have done afterward is lock open the slide....brush it, clean the barrel and breech face and I'm done.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 9:34:38 PM EDT
[#13]
You've already got it... the Browning Buckmark </thread>

You don't need to remove the slide and deal with the recoil spring on the buckmark; just lock the slide open and use a brush to clean the breach face and the bolt face where the round chambers.  I haven't taken the slide off of my buckmark in about 20,000 rounds and it runs like a top.  I used to every time I cleaned it, but realised it wasn't necessary a long time ago.  Makes it easier to avoid losing that tiny ass C clamp that holds the recoil spring on too....that appears to be missing, ironically, in the pictures above.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 7:53:25 AM EDT
[#14]
I was going to mention the Browning Buckmark also. Wish I could remember where I saw them online yesterday for $299.  Oh, well, Google.  Probably just a black Friday thing anyhow.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 9:12:50 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

You don't need to remove the slide and deal with the recoil spring on the buckmark; just lock the slide open and use a brush to clean the breach face and the bolt face where the round chambers.  I haven't taken the slide off of my buckmark in about 20,000 rounds and it runs like a top.  I used to every time I cleaned it, but realised it wasn't necessary a long time ago.  Makes it easier to avoid losing that tiny ass C clamp that holds the recoil spring on too....that appears to be missing, ironically, in the pictures above.
View Quote

Same thing I do with mine, keep a bush and boresnake in my 22 kit for the buckmark, just hit the breach face and bolt face once in a while when shooting. I have no idea what the round count is on mine, I did have to replace the extractor, buffer and the c-clip (all available from brownells for under $20 IIRC)

For the OP, like the slide racker knob mod, makes me feel better about what I did on mine   if you want (and if I find some spare time) let me know the thread size/pitch, knob length and thread depth in to the slide and I can turn a alum one for you.

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 3:19:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Try a Smith & Wesson 422.  They hold up well, can have a thread adapter added and have a fixed barrel and will easily handle thousands of rounds of 22 without breakage.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 4:31:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
For the OP, like the slide racker knob mod, makes me feel better about what I did on mine   if you want (and if I find some spare time) let me know the thread size/pitch, knob length and thread depth in to the slide and I can turn a alum one for you.
View Quote

The thread is 10/32 and it goes all the way through - I'll find the calipers and give you a number.

The handle is three nuts wide - again, I'll need to get the calipers. I used three nuts because that's what I needed to get the bolt to stop flush on the inside.

click the images to make them larger.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 5:00:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Kinda guessed that was the reason on the all the nuts, I made mine sized for my fingers, for the threading I used a allen set screw red lockited in to the alum and a cut down wrench to tighten it down from the inside. Really I just need the thread pitch/size and the depth of the threads in the bolt, and what length/diameter  knob

Another pic, you can see my knob has a profiled end on it (and that my slide is the 1st gen without the grabs)

Link Posted: 12/2/2014 12:14:31 PM EDT
[#19]
If you can't figure out how to clean a Ruger or Browning you need to find another hobby.  The Browning is stupid easy to clean and frankly the Ruger is far easier than many make it out to be.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 12:17:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If you can't figure out how to clean a Ruger or Browning you need to find another hobby.  The Browning is stupid easy to clean and frankly the Ruger is far easier than many make it out to be.
View Quote

I appreciate your feedback.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 8:34:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't say this very often, but

Du fuck?
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 9:30:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For some reason guys like this bring to mind a famous John Wayne quote,"Life is hard, it's even harder if you stupid"
After stating you had difficulty with the assembly of a Ruger and why, he still went full retard.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 11:59:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes! Yes! Yes!  That's what I do too with my Buckmark Challenge.  I believe if you put a scope rail on a Buckmark and want to disassemble it, you have to remove the rail to remove the slide.  That would be a real pain.  Cleaning as headless1916 indicated eliminates the need to disassemble.

Good luck with your project..
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 12:52:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 6:33:12 PM EDT
[#25]
M&P 22 Compact
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:59:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I won't be so polite.

Go eat a flaming bag of dicks, assmunch.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:12:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I won't be so polite.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I won't be so polite.

Nice to see Christmas spirit. calm down. The tactful smack down worked just fine.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:05:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Locked per author's request (excessive faggotry from MrBear80229, I'd assume ).

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top