Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/16/2014 1:05:32 AM EDT
...Coming up on 3 years since Ruger released the SR22.

Even though the price of 22lr has been pretty obscene for half that time, has anybody managed to put >20k rounds through theirs?

Just wondering how they can be expected to hold up, now that they've been out long enough to be widely tested.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 11:56:07 AM EDT
[#1]
tagged for answer.  I really want one with a threaded barrel but I still think they're too damn expensive for what they are.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 6:30:07 PM EDT
[#2]
20,000.  No.

Since I posted about polishing off the MIM molding line on the front of the hammer, my SR22P has eaten roughly 1000 rounds with zero failures to function cleaned every couple hundred rounds.  CCI Blazer 40 RNHS and WW 36 HPHS.  It exhibits no wear beyond the initial bluing in certain spots and no feel or function has changed since the first few hundred round smoothed it out.

The SR22P  trigger pull is very much like a broken in 9mm Shield.  It is vastly better than the new S&W .22 Compact which grates and grinds every time I pick up one in a store.

Plus with the SR22P decocker, it is safer handling wise, unless you like a 1911 system .22 for a M&P mimic.

LSA
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 2:06:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
tagged for answer.  I really want one with a threaded barrel but I still think they're too damn expensive for what they are.
View Quote

I have one and have not even put one round through it yet.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 8:20:01 AM EDT
[#4]
I have an SR22.
I am retired so I get to shoot 3 or 4 times a week.
I don't have an accurate round count but I know it is in the many thousands.
I had a stash of ammo and have been able to snag a bunch so I do shoot the SR22 quite a bit.

In September I wanted to see how many rounds I could fire through it without cleaning it.
I was over 1.000 rounds when I showed it to my buddy at the range. "This thing is filthy ! Don't you ever clean your guns ?"
Shamed me into cleaning it and stopping my test.
No failures from being filthy.

The SR22 is an odd little pistol, when you try one you have to buy one.
My range buddy who was aghast at the filthy gun fell in love with it and bought 2 of them- Christmas for his wife and daughter and a used one for himself.
My wife Grumpy has shot mine and she is getting one for Christmas too.

Grumpy tried mine and did 10 shots to the head at 10 yards and said "I want one for Christmas"

The ONLY issues I have had with mine were with Winchester White box ammo in the 333 and 555 bulk packs. Lots of duds and inconsistant powder charges so many of them failed to cycle the pistol. But thats true with Winchester White box in all of our semi autos so it's not just a SR22 problem.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 2:38:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks 9milebank, that's the sort of info I was looking for.

I know some ranges have rental MK series pistols that have been abused through hundreds of thousands of rounds and are still going strong. While I wouldn't expect an SR22 to live through that, it's good to hear Ruger is still making tough little rimfires.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 8:52:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I put a few hundred rounds through mine in the beginning.  I ran into trouble dry firing it though.  The firing pin made an indentation into the face of the chamber peening it.  It would not load any more rounds.  I tried to fix it myself and filed the face of the chamber.  It fixed it, sort of, but was not longer the reliable pistol it was when new.  

I sent it back to Ruger with explanation to what I had done, fully expecting to have to pay for the new barrel. Five days later I got it back with a new barrel, firing pin and something else maybe. They tested 40 rounds through and had noted that it was working again.  That's nice customer service.  All free - even after my attempt to fix it myself.

So I wouldn't worry too much if it fails at 50k or 100k.  Just tell them and they'll give you a shipping label, make it good, and send it back within a week.

How can you beat that?

Link Posted: 12/10/2014 10:59:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Really? They are in the same price range as the Walther P22 and the Sig Mosquito (I often see them for a little less than either of those two) but are not built using any monkey-metal.

I picked up a SR22 factory threaded model this past Summer, new for $320 out-the-door which I though was a good deal.

I certainly don't have 20K through either of mine. My first one was purchased when they first came out and I am going to guess I have 5K (ten bricks) through that one. No problems so far. It would be far more if I could still buy Federal 550 bulk pack for <$10 from Walmart.

I have a friend who purchased one about a year after me and he had constant ejection problems from the start that were corrected with an all expenses paid trip back to the factory by Ruger.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 11:06:19 AM EDT
[#8]
4 in mklll kicks its ass on all counts .the srs we saw had issues.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 1:09:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Really? They are in the same price range as the Walther P22 and the Sig Mosquito (I often see them for a little less than either of those two) but are not built using any monkey-metal.

I picked up a SR22 factory threaded model this past Summer, new for $320 out-the-door which I though was a good deal.

I certainly don't have 20K through either of mine. My first one was purchased when they first came out and I am going to guess I have 5K (ten bricks) through that one. No problems so far. It would be far more if I could still buy Federal 550 bulk pack for <$10 from Walmart.

I have a friend who purchased one about a year after me and he had constant ejection problems from the start that were corrected with an all expenses paid trip back to the factory by Ruger.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, <$300 would be a lot more reasonable given the price point of a lot of other .22s out there and that it's not an especially expensive gun to make- it's polymer and Ruger basically copied someone else's design.  The second part of your post, coupled with the stories of other people's problems with them is another reason- it seems a lot of Ruger's guns have to go back for service.  They may have wonderful customer service, but the product shouldn't need it if their QC was on top of things.  

I have a 22/45 Lite that has been a great shooter and lots of fun- once I dropped another $100 on it by removing the loaded chamber indicator and installing a Volquartsen trigger.  It's another example of Ruger releasing a wholly average product- with only slight more work they could have made the trigger better from the start so I didn't have to drop another $100 on the gun.  My 10/22 Target was the same way; it's a factory target gun that needed a new trigger to be able to compete with my old $75 Marlin model 60.    Both of my older MKIIs have been great out of the box as have my Ruger revolvers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top