Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/14/2014 6:46:12 AM EDT
I know ammo had a lot to do with reliability. That aside.
Who makes the best.
Looking for something with a rail, good feel (I know what works for me.....) maybe a top mount for a dot like the FNX Tactical .45.
Want it to train with at a less expensive level.
I have an old High Standard .22 pistol with one mag, good enough?
Tier 1, talk to me.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 7:51:20 AM EDT
[#1]
As far as training goes most anything you shoot has some "carryover"   Put in a different way  , shooting something is better than not shooting .

Most of the high standards are fun target pistols but not so hot for training. It doesn't matter how many magazines you have for it after the first
because of the silly heel release .

Not really what the OP asked for but my idea of a tactical 22 is my S&W 617.

I also have a Kimber rimfire conversion for my 1911
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 10:02:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I built my own with a Caspian frame and Ceiner conversion unit, runs fine with CCI and Winchester HiVal ammo.

had I the money I'd buy a Marvel or similar unit as their repution puts them as more reliable but..mine runs like a raped ape now
that I filed out the chamber mouth a bit..
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 12:00:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Most of the so called tactical 22's won't hold a candle to the accuracy ( and we are talking first and foremost about hitting the target ) and reliability of a traditional target type gun with ammo they like. Fundamentals are all the same sight alignment and trigger control. I would stick with the high standard. For accuracy training it can't be beat. The manipulation end of it will be different and that won't cross over as much. To be honest I have shot guns with different operating systems ( 1911 revolver glocks and some guns with euro mag releases and never noticed a big difference switching between platforms if your head is in the game.
My club shoots a match where you run an auto once then a revolver. Even shot matches where I ran four different guns in a day. Never did I find myself reaching for a control in the wrong place
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 12:57:49 PM EDT
[#4]
The M&P 22 is my favorite .22 caliber tactical handgun for all of the right reasons.

It's accurate, reliable, comfortable, handsome, and cheap to shoot....The magazines go on sale from time to time for around 22$
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 5:49:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I was thinking about a .22 conversion for my 92A1 and using that, but looking and thinking about a new gun is so much fun.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 6:35:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Advantage Arms .22 conversion kits for the corresponding model of Glock.  More accurate than the base centerfire and the same exact trigger pull cause it your frame.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:13:51 PM EDT
[#7]
M&p22 is the correct answer.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:25:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a RIA 1911 with standard Advantage Arms kit but they make a Target version with the design of Marvel.  A friend uses his AA on a Taurus PT-1911 which has a rail.  I bought a dedicated Glock 17 frame for my Advantage Arms Glock Target conversion which has digested 10's of thousands of rounds.  These are as close the Centerfire pistols you can get IMHO.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:32:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I like my Sig Mosquito. Feels very close to the P226 and has the same controls ( with an added safety on the slide )
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:48:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
M&p22 is the correct answer.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 2:00:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Advantage Arms .22 conversion kits for the corresponding model of Glock.  More accurate than the base centerfire and the same exact trigger pull cause it your frame.
View Quote

Also alot of fun with 25 rd mags.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 2:50:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Where do you get the .22 rounds to shoot?
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 5:38:18 PM EDT
[#13]
No one really makes what you want except maybe Volquartzen.  They make their own railed version of the Ruger Mk\22-45 pistols. My advice is pick either Glock, Sig, or 1911 and get an upper kit.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 5:17:08 PM EDT
[#14]
I like my SR-22, it has a rail and threaded barrel.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 9:59:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Of all the 22lr semi autos that I have owned and own, the most reliable has been the Smith & Wesson M&P 22. I have not had even one problem with it. It now has about 1900 rounds thru it with most being CCI and Federal and some Winchester and Remington Golden bullets. No uncoated lead, as I save that for my revolvers.

I have owned and shot the following as well.

Glock 17 with Ceiner conversion.
Ruger Mark ll bull barrel 5.5.
Ruger Standard Mark l.
Ruger Mark lll 22/45 with bull barrel 5.5.
High Standard
Browning Buckmark

I would like to try the GSG 1911 style and the 22lr version of the Beretta M9, and would like to try a lite version of the Ruger with the magazine release on the side.

I still have the Ruger Mark ll and lll and the Smith & Wesson M&P 22. Sold all the others.

My revolvers include the Ruger Single Six in a combo version and the Charter Arms Target Pathfinder. I really like the Charter Arms revolver and so has everyone that has shot it in my classes.
Quite a few have purchased the Smith & Wesson M&P and the Charter Arms Revolvers.

I look forward to trying many others over time and will gladly encourage others to try those that do not give me trouble.

Link Posted: 12/6/2014 3:36:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I know ammo had a lot to do with reliability. That aside.
Who makes the best.
Looking for something with a rail, good feel (I know what works for me.....) maybe a top mount for a dot like the FNX Tactical .45.
Want it to train with at a less expensive level.
I have an old High Standard .22 pistol with one mag, good enough?
Tier 1, talk to me.
View Quote

Not to be all technical etc, but I'd wager that the suppressed Hi Standard .22 has killed more enemies in a "tactical" situation than any other .22.
Anyway, I have a bunch of different .22 pistols.  I really like my RIA XT22.  There's also speculation that they're getting ready to release a threaded/railed version.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 6:09:03 PM EDT
[#17]
I love my M&P 22 Compact.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 9:51:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Back when I had a CZ-75 I got the factory .22 adaptor, and put at least 1000 rounds through each.   I found that there was definitely an adjustment going from one to the other, especially after I had shot one exclusively for several sessions, and it took a few mags to get back into the hang of things.   However, my trigger control after switching from .22 was better since I was more aware of what recoil was doing.   Also, .22 mags were harder to come by, so I was far less willing to drop magazines.  

If you're looking for practicing for defensive type situations or even for IDPA/IPSC, going from the way I was taught,  many thing you need to do (rapid draws, rapid mag switches, taking cover, moving around) are impossible on a most ranges.   If I were to train for this seriously, part of me would be tempted get one of the better airsoft guns and practice at home (the ones I've played with are semi-auto and even have magazines, though I don't know if you can drop magazines like a real pistol).   No drive to the range necessary, you can practice movement and draws to your hearts content, and unlike dry firing get immediate feedback.  

And not only is ammo cheaper, but you can actually buy it.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 8:02:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Just picked up a Walther PPQ M2 22lr 5' barrel with the hi-viz front sight. LOVE this gun and is as tactical as you can get and has the frame rail and it can be thread with the adpter. Took it to the range the next day and shot 500 rounds mixed of winchester 36gr, CCI mini mags, and Remington Golden Bullets and she ran flawless. $400.00 out the door and is a good trainer for my H&K VP9.  

Link Posted: 12/24/2014 9:58:17 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a SIG P220 with both .45 and .22 top ends. The rimfire was a little underwhelming because there was no slide lock on empty. I tried the Black Dog follower mod to give me LRSJO*, but it just wasn't great.

However, a small company up in Canada is now offering mags that give true LRBHO; they're doing them for the P228 and now the P220. Mine are great and give me 100% function - now I can use the .22 top end as a training aid. Check them out - the company is GS Designs. There's a big thread about them over on SIGForum.

If you are a SIG shooter it opens up a whole new world.  

* LRSJO = last round slide jammed open
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 12:07:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Buckmark if you like the 1911 grip angle.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 7:56:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The M&P 22 is my favorite .22 caliber tactical handgun for all of the right reasons.

It's accurate, reliable, comfortable, handsome, and cheap to shoot....The magazines go on sale from time to time for around 22$
View Quote

Almost .....

I like the M&P 22 Compact even more.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_833059_-1_773655_757781_757781_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 5:13:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Most .22lr pistols are 10 rds, so the question I ask to you, OP, is what do YOU define as tactical?

In your perceived AoE, do you need a light or laser mounted (rail) or  what exactly do you need on a 22lr to be tactical?

Most major players have responded to demand for threaded barrels/rails  to be added to the reliable pistols out there.

My vote; is go with what's reliable, and then add (aftermarket) from there.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 5:33:47 AM EDT
[#24]
As others have stated, M&P22 is my choice, especially if you carry an M&P 9mm/.40cal.

Asides from being reliable and good looking and similar to a "real" M&P, it holds 12 rounds. Good luck finding another 22lr pistol that holds more than ten. Plus, it has a threaded barrel, so I bought a $30 adapter and use mine suppressed all the time. It is a good gun. It has a rail, but you won't be adding a RDS to its (aluminum) slide.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 5:48:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Love mine. Find the most accurate ammo and go.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 12:16:53 AM EDT
[#26]
The best would be a CZ Kadet. If you want a rail, you'll need a P01 or SP01 too.  Buckmark's work good too.  

Link Posted: 1/1/2015 12:49:19 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm an M&P guy but have never been able to fall in love with the full sized M&P22.  I'm waiting for someone (Apex?) to offer a .22 conversion kit for centerfire M&Ps.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 3:51:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'm an M&P guy but have never been able to fall in love with the full sized M&P22.  I'm waiting for someone (Apex?) to offer a .22 conversion kit for centerfire M&Ps.
View Quote

Try the compact version.  Much better to me.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 10:10:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Already have one. I like it and it makes a tolerable understudy for my Shields but I'd still like a "real" rimfire M&P FS.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 8:05:32 PM EDT
[#30]
If you wish to become a better shooter what matters is something that fits your hand, has quality sights, and a great trigger.  A single shot would be good as it will force you to focus on what's actually important: sight picture, trigger control, breathing.   However, your high standard is also a good choice.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 12:31:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Tell you what, my M&P22c is my favorite .22 pistol. its accurate for 50+ yards shot and a blast on my dueling tree. such a fun little package. oh and makes a great Shield trainer.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 1:24:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Asides from being reliable and good looking and similar to a "real" M&P, it holds 12 rounds. Good luck finding another 22lr pistol that holds more than ten.
View Quote

How about the S&W 41 or 46 or 422 or 622 or 2206?
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 1:53:51 AM EDT
[#33]
I like the CZ Kadet conversion kit for the 75 series pistols. So far utterly reliable, and better than the AA conversion for Glocks, which in 40S&W (and sometimes 9mm) serve as my actual carry firearm. How 'tactical' anyone may consider it is beyond my own scope/consideration. However it DOES fit on the 75 SP-01 Tactical. With that name, how more "tactical" does one need to get?
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 2:10:02 AM EDT
[#34]
I'm not .mil or police, but personally if I had to use a rimfire pistol in a tactical application I would choose a 22/45 with suppressor.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 5:14:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Bump for mo gunz
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:57:00 PM EDT
[#36]
The buckmarks and 22/45's are nice but they are finicky thoroughbreds, this is a mule, eats anything and everything
you can find and stuff in the mags and just keeps running long after they stop cold, and it's way more accurate than you
are believe me>

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:57:27 PM EDT
[#37]
I love my M&P22

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:57:43 PM EDT
[#38]
I've been very happy with this.
MKII/Paclite with a Volquartsen accurizing kit

Link Posted: 8/4/2015 9:34:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The buckmarks and 22/45's are nice but they are finicky thoroughbreds, this is a mule, eats anything and everything
you can find and stuff in the mags and just keeps running long after they stop cold, and it's way more accurate than you
are believe me>

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/OMEGANOX/MP22talons_zpsgnjtfdaf.jpg
View Quote

What exact model laser is this?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 10:23:35 AM EDT
[#40]
i really like the 4.5" barrel ar pistol i built. its one of my favorites to shoot with a can.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 12:46:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Thanks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
are believe me>

Thanks.

Crimson Trace CMR206
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 9:32:17 AM EDT
[#42]
I shoot/carry 1911's primarily, so this was my solution.  Nelson Custom Guns 1911 .22lr conversion with Fiber Optic Front Sight (Plain front sights are available as is a top rail instead of sights) on a Nighthawk lower, built up with Wilson, Ed Brown, STI and C&S internals.  Slim Derwood Riot grips.  This mimics the look/feel of a full size steel 1911.  Stupidly accurate and very reliable so far with everything but Sellier and Bellot hi velocity .22lr stuff (non of my semi auto pistols like it, works great in my bolt .22lr rifles).  Different recoil springs for high velocity, standard velocity or slower match stuff, so you can make it work with pretty much anything, I ran Wolf MT ammo thru it and the standard vel. recoil spring w/o any problems.  I can also put the upper on to either one of my DW Valor or VBOB or other full size 1911's in .45.  Some 9mm 1911's the extractor is a hair too tall to clear.  

I've hit a 12" plate at 100 yds with this standing 2 handed on my 2nd shot and hit the same 12" plate at 190 yds on my 3rd shot with this pistol.  I use it as my plate gun currently for competition.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 2:00:24 PM EDT
[#43]
I have a Buckmark and a M&P22. Truth be told, the Buckmark is more accurate with and without a suppressor. The M&P shows an obvious improvement in accuracy with a suppressor attached than without. (with CCI standard velocity ammo.) I prefer the Buckmark. Has a better trigger and can run an optics rail and scope.

Link Posted: 8/14/2015 6:52:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I was thinking about a .22 conversion for my 92A1 and using that, but looking and thinking about a new gun is so much fun.
View Quote

If the 92A1 is your "Tier 1" gun then get the .22LR conversion and use that.  

If you really want a "new gun" then buy another 92A1 make the triggers about the same, then build a dedicated Beretta 92A1 22LR.  

Link Posted: 8/15/2015 1:24:41 PM EDT
[#45]
It is worth mentioning that the accuracy of the MP22 compact is not in the same league as my paclite unsuppressed, but with the element2
screwed on it's too close to measure without a rest, I've been pretty astounded how straight it shoots with the can, which suits me fine since
I cant imagine a reason I'd ever run it without.
But from a function standpoint, I've run this MP22 on crap that would stop the browning/ruger dead, also it runs filthy without issue which they
absolutely wont do, so it depends what you want, if it's ultimate accuracy potential for 50yd bullseye matches those target pistols have an edge,
if it's anything else your choice is clear.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 6:53:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
are believe me>

View Quote

Man, I have been thinking of getting a M&P22 but, opted for another 22/45 with threaded barrel as I already have tons of mags..........
But, now you are making mee second guess myself.... nice M&P !!

Might have to ask for one from Mrs. Claus.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 8:32:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/16/2015 12:25:10 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I have a Buckmark and a M&P22. Truth be told, the Buckmark is more accurate with and without a suppressor. The M&P shows an obvious improvement in accuracy with a suppressor attached than without. (with CCI standard velocity ammo.) I prefer the Buckmark. Has a better trigger and can run an optics rail and scope.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k252/chrisq_01/100_3407_zpse87826ab.jpg
View Quote

Barrel length?
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 9:42:55 PM EDT
[#49]
So far my m&p 22c has been the most reliable Rimfire pistol I've ever owned followed closely by my wife's sr22. They both shoot pretty dang good as well and I will be suppressing my 22c as soon as my stamp returns.
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 8:39:28 PM EDT
[#50]
This is my idea of a great tactical 22. Mag disconnect removed. Trigger pull enhanced. VZ grips. Take down is now like a MKII. Have not found a ammo that does not run in this pistol. Accurate  and Hollywood quiet. SWR Spectre. Has been upgraded by Silencerco since this picture.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top