Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2014 8:14:24 PM EDT
0) Try the vice grip method, and decide that you are probably either going to squash the muzzle nut or rip the barrel off the frame before the nut budges.

0.5) Accept the fact that you are going to destroy the nut in order to remove it, and call S&W as required to chew them out for not including a wrench.

1) Tape up end of barrel and gun to prevent damage, exposing only the muzzle nut flats on either side.

2) File down nut with a metal file to extend the flats out to the end of the barrel.

3) Remove nut using an adjustable "crescent" type wrench.

4) Enjoy.

YMMV, I am not responsible for any damage caused to anyone or their property.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:21:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I had problems removing the nut on my full size M&P22. I ended up using Vise Grips to lock down on it after the supplied wrench opened up due to the torque applied in an attempt to remove the nut. I tried everything, heat gun, torch, pliers, etc. The end result was a badly marred and discolored barrel nut and a stretched out wrench. I called S&W to complain that it should not have been put on that tight or with red thread locker, whatever they did to lock it down so tight. It isn't a California model or any other special mode where the nut isn't intended to come off.

I requested a new barrel nut and wrench which I got a "used" barrel nut from them after an eight month "backorder". I made a post in the S&W sub-forum here too to address it with them.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:35:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Toss in the freezer for 30 minutes and it came of easy using an adjustable crescent wrench.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:53:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had problems removing the nut on my full size M&P22. I ended up using Vise Grips to lock down on it after the supplied wrench opened up due to the torque applied in an attempt to remove the nut. I tried everything, heat gun, torch, pliers, etc. The end result was a badly marred and discolored barrel nut and a stretched out wrench. I called S&W to complain that it should not have been put on that tight or with red thread locker, whatever they did to lock it down so tight. It isn't a California model or any other special mode where the nut isn't intended to come off.

I requested a new barrel nut and wrench which I got a "used" barrel nut from them after an eight month "backorder". I made a post in the S&W sub-forum here too to address it with them.
View Quote

I called and requested a new nut, just to have so that I can return the gun back to factory configuration if desired.

I was told that the gun is so new, there are no spares avaliable.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 9:50:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Surprisingly, the barrel cap on my MP22 Compact was not that difficult to get off. I got some locking pliers and it came off on the second attempt. A little bit of scratching on the cap but it's not bothersome to me.

I also removed the magazine disconnect. THAT took some doing. It was actually putting back the trigger return spring that caused a lot of headache. 2 hours worth.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:18:35 AM EDT
[#5]
This place makes a wrench for removing the factory barrel nut on the M&P compact but might be a little pricy at $23.00.  They also make thread adapters too.  Some good comments about EWK on other threads but I've not personally purchased anything from them.

http://www.ewkarms.com/zen8/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=6&zenid=3e5cd1d3becf5e3bd038f7a83df16f55

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:39:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This place makes a wrench for removing the factory barrel nut on the M&P compact but might be a little pricy at $23.00.  They also make thread adapters too.  Some good comments about EWK on other threads but I've not personally purchased anything from them.

http://www.ewkarms.com/zen8/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=6&zenid=3e5cd1d3becf5e3bd038f7a83df16f55

View Quote

They should make a replacement for the standard nut as well. That would be awesome.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 12:08:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I filed a couple of small flats into the side of the nut so I can use a small wrench. It looks ugly but it comes on and off easy now.

The gun always has its suppressor adapter on it now, so it doesn't matter much anymore.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 9:03:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Non-destructive method:

1) secure the square end of the barrel/chamber in a vice
2) get a couple of small allen wrenches (approx 2mm or 5/64")
3) use one allen wrench in each flat of the muzzle nut as spacers
4) apply a crescent wrench to the allen wrenches and presto.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 1:20:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Non-destructive method:

View Quote

Wicked smart!!!  Worked like a charm..  Thanks
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 5:17:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Non-destructive method:

Ill have to try this.  I removed the original nut with vise grips/brute force.  It came off but not without some damage.  Next i ordered the silencerco thread adaptor for my spectre 2 but having no way to tighten it I went with the EWK adaptor that uses a 1/4" allen key.  Works OK but the threads dont feel as precise as the silencerco.  By the way I read on RFC that S&W would send you the proper wrench in the mail if you called and asked.  I called and got nowhere.  "None available at this time"  they told me.  What BS.  They must not want people to run suppressors on these or they are just monumentally stupid.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 6:21:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Ill have to try this.  I removed the original nut with vise grips/brute force.  It came off but not without some damage.  Next i ordered the silencerco thread adaptor for my spectre 2 but having no way to tighten it I went with the EWK adaptor that uses a 1/4" allen key.  Works OK but the threads dont feel as precise as the silencerco.  By the way I read on RFC that S&W would send you the proper wrench in the mail if you called and asked.  I called and got nowhere.  "None available at this time"  they told me.  What BS.  They must not want people to run suppressors on these or they are just monumentally stupid.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Non-destructive method:

Its a no-go.  Can't get a wrench on it with the slide in place.  $@#k smith and wesson!
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 8:10:14 PM EDT
[#12]
I ordered a 10mm bicycle wrench from ebay and ground it down to fit the muzzle nut. It came off with zero issues. The wrench also needed to be opened up a hair with a file, as it may be a little larger than 10mm. It was a Park Tool wrench and it was less than $5 delivered. I am very pleased with the compact and will hopefully get an Element II in about 8 months to put on the end.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 5:16:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I ordered a 10mm bicycle wrench from ebay and ground it down to fit the muzzle nut. It came off with zero issues. The wrench also needed to be opened up a hair with a file, as it may be a little larger than 10mm. It was a Park Tool wrench and it was less than $5 delivered. I am very pleased with the compact and will hopefully get an Element II in about 8 months to put on the end.
View Quote

Thanks!  I emailed S&W about getting a wrench but if it doesnt happen I'll try this.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top