Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/26/2014 5:24:29 PM EDT
I bought a Taurus. I told myself I'd never buy a Taurus revolver. I went into a gun shop on my way through a town and something caught my eye under the glass. Why, this looks like a S&W K frame in .22. Nope, it's a Taurus 96. I passed my testing which is why I originally was visiting, so afterwards I went back and treated myself to it. The thing looks like it had never been fired. I just got back to the range and I love it. My wallet didn't get raped in the process either. I've been on a S&W streak lately but after handling this revolver I am very happy I made the purchase.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 6:44:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Full range report?  Pics?  Grouping?  Preferred ammo?  Trigger feel and timing?  I have a Taurus; can find nothing objectionable about it - for the price.  If you give your 96 a thumbs up, I'll consider looking around for one.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 6:50:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I also have one, and enjoy shooting it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 7:28:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine locks up tight and the action was surprisingly good. I was surprised with how good it was when I held it at the shop and was the deciding factor on whether or not I'd pick it up. Sights are good, trigger is pretty good although I hardly shot it double action. I was using remington golden bullets (all I had with me at the time) and from 15 yards I was shooting about the size of an Eisenhower dollar. It's probably capable of much better given I have tremors. Sorry, no pics yet. I've been running around all day.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 2:10:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I had one.  Nice revolver.  As accurate as a Smith.  Trigger and finish not as nice, obviously.  But it worked, as have the other two Taurus' I owned.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 9:34:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Interesting replies.  What's the visual clues that it's NOT a S&W?
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 4:33:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I had to look at the medallion on the grips and actually see that it was made by Taurus. I thought it was a smith until I saw the tag and held it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:38:59 PM EDT
[#7]
LOL that means the counter guy and I have to interact.  If it gets out of the display case, there's a greater than 50% chance I'm gonna buy it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:25:23 AM EDT
[#8]
are you going to post some pics OP?

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:49:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mine locks up tight and the action was surprisingly good. I was surprised with how good it was when I held it at the shop and was the deciding factor on whether or not I'd pick it up. Sights are good, trigger is pretty good although I hardly shot it double action. I was using remington golden bullets (all I had with me at the time) and from 15 yards I was shooting about the size of an Eisenhower dollar. It's probably capable of much better given I have tremors. Sorry, no pics yet. I've been running around all day.
View Quote

Sounds like you got a reasonable deal on a reasonable gun and are having fun with it . All good .

Not to single you out and pick on you but whenever I read these threads I do a facepalm and shake my head. I know S&W revolvers are pricey but if some of you guys who "Don't shoot much double action" would save a bit longer or shop harder and buy a gun with a good trigger you might have a way to learn how to shoot double action. There are plenty of guys with Taurus , Rossi ,Charter Arms and even Ruger who think you have a OK or even decent trigger but for the most part you don't . Pretty good or ok doesn't cut it when you are talking double action revolvers.

S&W guns are generally pretty good from the factory and they also generally get slicker with use . Older Colts are nice if you can find one and I also really like the Ruger LCR line . Most anything else I have tried is clearly second rate and quite difficult to shoot double action.

Sorry this comes off as a rant , trust me that it is not intended that way but I encourage anyone interested in a revolver to pay close attention to the quality of the trigger
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 1:44:43 PM EDT
[#10]
No worries. I have a couple S&W 19's, 28, 64, and a python. I probably would have picked up a S&W in 22 if I could find one locally. I was going to try to pick one up at an auction a couple months ago but it went for 800ish and I didn't want to spend that with the condition it was in. One will still be on my list. Pics coming
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 1:50:15 PM EDT
[#11]
My 19-3 on top (probably my favorite S&W I own) and the Taurus on the bottom
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 1:55:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Those are sweet looking guns. I would like to get a 22 revolver.  Was thinking of a Ruger Single Six, as I don't have a single-action revolver.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 2:38:36 PM EDT
[#13]
I have the 9 shot 5" Taurus "kit gun" that came with Hogues from the factory. I don't recall the model but it is just like the one pictured above without the full underlug or shroud.

Double action is horrible, but single action is glass breakage. I am very satisfied with it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:41:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Not bad OP
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:17:48 PM EDT
[#15]
The older Taurus guns that look like Smiths are usually a decent gun for the casual shooter; what the hell possessed them to create their current crop of hideous guns I have no idea.  Their K frame sized .38s were pretty good shooters and could be had dirt cheap at one time.    

I've got an older Model 94 (9 shot .22 on a small frame) that's a decent shooter and the finish is actually decent looking.  It took a trip back to the factory to fix it as it had a bur in the forcing cone but for $125NIB I can't complain.  No the trigger isn't great, but then Smith .22s aren't nearly as smooth as their centerfire either.  And yes, I prefer S&Ws and have a couple.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top