Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/4/2014 10:22:36 AM EDT
I have a Buckmark Camper now that I use for steel challenge and my daughter plinks with it. I have a Silencerco Warlock II on the way. I will need a threaded barrel. Since I need a new barrel I am looking at a completely different pistol.

1. Keep the Buckmark: The Buckmark is very picky with ammo. It likes 40gr CCI minimags. I get stove pipes with most other ammo. A threaded barrel will cost me a couple hundred bucks.

2. Get a new threaded 22/45 will be $400 +/-.

3. Another suggestion.

For those that have shot both enough to know, what are the pros and cons of getting a new 22/45 vs keeping and upgrading the Buckmark? If the 22/45 would be your suggestion, why and which model? If your suggestion is to keep and upgrade the Buckmark, why, what upgrades and how can I get it to be less ammo picky?

I might go to open class in steel challenge with a comp and small red dot. Does either have any advantage over the other for this?

I know the standard ARfcom answer is get both.

Edit: Throw in the S&W M&P22 into the mix.  I see they have threaded barrels and I already have an M&P 9 pro. It would be nice to have a 22 in a very similar frame for practice.

Will the M&P22 be as good as the other two choices?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:12:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a 22/45 when I bought my SpectreII.

I bought a threaded TacSol upper (registered part). Over $600 total.

I added a RMR. Its a total tack driver.. I dont shoot at the Shoot & Sees, I shoot at the little dots that come with them.
I just bought a Buckmark.

I have a TacSol on the way.  

I cant wait to be able to compare the two.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:54:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I have both and like both. The Buckmark has a better trigger out of the box and feels better. I got the barrel used and already threaded so price wasn't a factor. The Buckmark seems to be a bit louder suppressed, the action noise is different with the more open slide design as opposed to the more enclosed bolt design of the Ruger. I do need to replace the buffer in the Buckmark so that could make a difference but I don't think so. Overall I like the Buckmark better by a slim margin if not suppressed but for a host I like the Ruger better based on sound.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:42:47 PM EDT
[#3]
The great thing about the Buckmark is the ease of removing the barrel and sending it out for threading. Shouldn't be anywhere near a couple hundred.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 5:56:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Throw in the S&W M&P22 into the mix.  I see they have threaded barrels and I already have an M&P 9 pro. It would be nice to have a 22 in a very similar frame for practice.

Link Posted: 10/7/2014 11:22:50 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a Buckmark and a Ruger Mk II. In my case, Buck Mark is less picky about ammo than the Ruger. I'm planning on having my Buckmark barrel threaded and a thread protector made--should be a good bit cheaper than the TacSol barrel. Plus, mine is stainless so it would look funny in the color options TacSol offers.

I would suggest "get both."
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 12:31:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Throw in the S&W M&P22 into the mix.  I see they have threaded barrels and I already have an M&P 9 pro. It would be nice to have a 22 in a very similar frame for practice.

View Quote

I don't have a M&P22 but I think they are more of a fun plinker than a target pistol.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 1:26:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I considered the options you've listed before choosing a 22/45 Lite.  I used to own a Buckmark, that I liked, so it was my first choice, but my LGS explained they were having trouble getting ahold of the Buckmarks, so that ruled them out. The Walther-made S&W didn't appeal to me because it was just too different from the centerfire guns, although that's rather subjective.  I haven't checked out any of the new S&W compact 22's, so it may be worth checking into them. There's a lot of aftermarket parts available for Ruger pistols, which is a big plus IMO, and you should be able to get into a new threaded barrel 22/45 in the high 200's or low 300 range, even the Lite's should be under $400 if you shop around a bit.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 1:26:13 PM EDT
[#8]
The M&P 22 is a great host.

I also have a Buckmark that I have not had the barrel threaded but if I did, here is your man...

http://www.jpgrips.com/
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 4:06:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I went Mark III 22/45 with factory threaded barrel. Check on GB I scored mine lnib with 5 magazines and upgraded sights for under $400 shipped. Can't wait to throw my can on and plink in the backyard.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:58:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't own a buckmark but love my 22/45, its eaten everything that I have put through it, both with and without a can.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:59:25 PM EDT
[#11]
If you go for M&P22, Palmetto has them on sale today for $259.99 http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/8999/
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:46:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I found an extra 4" barrel for my Buckmark for ~$99 IIRC.
Had it threaded for $45.

I'm now a Buckmark fan.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:06:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you go for M&P22, Palmetto has them on sale today for $259.99 http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/8999/
View Quote

yeah, I saw that. It was hard to turn down. I have had some real bad shipping and customer service from PSA. I don't want to turn this into a PSA bashing thread, so I will just say I passed.

thanks anyways.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:07:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I found an extra 4" barrel for my Buckmark for ~$99 IIRC.
Had it threaded for $45.

I'm now a Buckmark fan.
View Quote

who threaded it for $45?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top