Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/25/2014 2:32:26 PM EDT
Hey all, so as the title suggests I am having a severe leading problem in the barrel of my M&P 22. I was about to just sell the thing but I am not one to give up on one of my guns. When I first got the gun about 6 months ago I put about 300 rounds through it on my first trip, mainly american eagle (lead nose) and winchester superX (copper plated). It performed great and when I got home I went to clean it and my bore brush got stuck in the barrel and had to be hammered out, along with the lead deposits inside of the barrel. After I realized that it was just a lead problem and that I didn't just destroy my barrel I decided it just needed to be broken in.

Fast forward to today and I cannot shoot more than 100 rounds through the thing before large clouds of black smoke exit the barrel after every shot and the lead build up is VERY apparent. I have probably around 1500 rounds through it and I am getting sick and tired of all the cleaning work I have to do after every shooting trip. I try to shoot copper plated ammo whenever I can, but 22lr ammo is very limited where I live so I don't always get to choose.

Can someone talk me out of selling the thing and putting it towards another 22 pistol? I own a Ruger mkIII 22/45 target that eats everything with great accuracy and no leading, so my M&P 22 usually gets left home because I don't want to have to deal with it. Sorry for the long post put any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Link Posted: 9/25/2014 2:37:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Try a couple of different brands of ammo - I have had leading problems in several different guns (including a Lothar-Walther barrel in a subgun) using Winchester 555 bulk pack. If it still happens with a clean barrel and different ammo, call S&W and have them replace the barrel under warranty.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 2:56:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I have tried probably 8-10 different types of ammo through it, all with the same result. Unfortunatly for me, all I have left in my stash is nasty ol' Remington Thunderbolts as I have gone through all my good ammo. I live in a small town so I have to drive 2 hours to shop for ammo, and usually my choices of 22 are none, or very limited. You might be right in calling up Smith & Wesson, I am just not expecting much as I have researched this topic on other sites and people who contacted Smith & Wesson about this problem were told that it was "normal" and to "use better ammo".
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 3:01:45 PM EDT
[#3]
does the M&P 22 have polygonal rifling?
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 4:09:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I believe it has conventional rifling, and I couldn't find anything in the manual that says not to fire round nose lead tipped ammunition. The lead seems to build up most in the last 1/2 - 1 inch of the barrel near the muzzle, but there are usually smaller but substantial deposits throughout. My Ruger 10/22, Henry 22 Lever action, and Ruger MkIII 22/45 all see the same ammo types as what I feed the M&P 22, but none show this ridiculous amount of leading in the barrel.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:20:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I believe it has conventional rifling, and I couldn't find anything in the manual that says not to fire round nose lead tipped ammunition. The lead seems to build up most in the last 1/2 - 1 inch of the barrel near the muzzle, but there are usually smaller but substantial deposits throughout. My Ruger 10/22, Henry 22 Lever action, and Ruger MkIII 22/45 all see the same ammo types as what I feed the M&P 22, but none show this ridiculous amount of leading in the barrel.

View Quote

I had the same problem with a Beretta 92 conversion kit.  Got the brush stuck in the bore due to lead  build up.  I would call up Smith and Wesson and let them try to fix it first.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top