Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/29/2014 2:56:59 PM EDT
I've been looking at the 22lr 1911s..... Are any not made form zinc?

Why my hate towards zinc.... The photos of my broken in half p22 slide is around here somewhere.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:33:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Kimber used to make a 1911 with a 22 rimfire slide and alloy frame, a friend had one plus he also has a 17 Mach 2 slide/kit.  His was very reliable and accurate if you used HV ammo.  Years ago I had a Colt 22 conversion unit with floating chamber which I mated to a 1911 alloy frame.  Unfortunately I had medical bills and had to sell the Colt.  The Colt conversion units are still out there as are the 22 ACE dedicated rimfire Colt pistols but they are bringing big bucks.  Rock Island Armory makes the XT-22 which uses a RIA 45 ACP frame and 22 slide/mag.  The RIA uses a steel open top slide but the slide does not lock back on the last round.

Prior to the release of the current GSG/Sig/Umarex 22 semi autos I bought an Advantage Arms 1911 standard 22 conversion.  The AA kit uses a standard 45ACP/38 Super 1911 frame and the slide locks back on the last round.  I bought a stripped RIA frame which I built up to mate to my AA kit.  The AA slide is aluminum but this has been the best 1911 22 rimfire I've owned.  I don't notice the lighter slide and the Standard kit is accurate enough for my old eyes.  The next best option would be a steel Colt conversion unit or one of the Marvel type design Target  conversions on a dedicated 1911 frame.

I personally like the AA standard kit better than the Kimber 22 conversion but  either would be great to mate to their own frame.  AA also makes a commander length conversion which would be kind of unique as a dedicated pistol.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:33:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Browning manufactures a model with a machined aluminum slide but with a polymer composite frame.

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?fid=028B&cid=051&tid=814
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 2:05:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I"d highly recommend the RIA XT22.  All steel full-size.  You can buy it alone or as a kit that comes with the .45 slide as well.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:42:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a GSG 1911 22, and while made of zinc alloy it is accurate, reliable, and fun to shoot.

I also have a Marvel Unit 1 on a Colt lower. The Marvel/Colt is everything you ask, but comes at a price. To be honest, (hate that phrase because it insinuates one is normally not), I shoot my GSG more than the Marvel/Colt setup. Not because it is better (which it is), but because the GSG is just as much fun.

BTW: GSG mags work in the Marvel/Colt setup and visa versa.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:59:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Kimber Rimfire Target I use for 2-Gun and rimfire steel matches
its all aluminum not pot metal and is a great gun
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:02:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Go buy a Marvel slide unit. Laugh at all the poser pot metal plinkers.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 9:17:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This is the way that im leaning...

This was my zinc p22 slide

Link Posted: 9/8/2014 9:49:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Find one of these.

[/img]
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 10:08:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Find one of these.

http://i62.tinypic.com/rlc84w.jpg[/url]
View Quote

Can I get that with a threaded barrel for a suppressor?

Link Posted: 9/8/2014 10:27:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Find one of these.

I don't know if anyone make an ACE threaded barrel.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:42:43 AM EDT
[#11]
I had miserable luck with an Ace twenty plus years ago.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 2:06:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I take your point about the zinc/pot-metal guns. Seen pics of the various pot-metal .22 pistols with busted slides..worn-off slide stop notches etc...

My first 1911-22 is the Chiappa...and it looks just ripe for something to break.....It has however, survived quite a few rounds for as cheap and cheesy as it is. I have noticed that the slide-stop notch in the slide is wearing out....

When I noticed the Chiappa's worn stop notch...I went and got a Colt/Walther Government Model .22 pistol...quite a bit more steel...plus thicker potmetal!!.......people gripe about these too..but I've been getting along well with the Colt
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 7:56:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Is a kimber slide really worth $340?
ETA: especially when PSA is blowing out GSG units at $129?

Link Posted: 11/1/2014 7:20:08 AM EDT
[#14]
I had a kimber conversion unit that was real nice. But my host was kinda crappy (Taurus 1911) and the unit fit real tight. I had a lot of problems with the slide sticking.

I've recently acquired a browning 1911-22 black label and is my favorite 1911-22 by far. The best part is... the browning actually disassembles like a real 1911-22 and not like the gsg/sig or colt/umarex versions.

Link Posted: 11/4/2014 9:31:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I had a kimber conversion unit that was real nice. But my host was kinda crappy (Taurus 1911) and the unit fit real tight. I had a lot of problems with the slide sticking.

I've recently acquired a browning 1911-22 black label and is my favorite 1911-22 by far. The best part is... the browning actually disassembles like a real 1911-22 and not like the gsg/sig or colt/umarex versions.
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p64/huanab/Firearms/IMAG2504.jpg
View Quote

This seems like a nice .22.  It's now a contender with the 22/45 when the time comes to buy a new .22 pistol.

Mind me asking what you paid for it?
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 10:23:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have a Kimber Rimfire Target I use for 2-Gun and rimfire steel matches
its all aluminum not pot metal and is a great gun
View Quote

+1  They can be hard to find.  You may need to find their production cycle to see when they hit the stores.  

I would have built a steel gun, but the parts costs are lofty.  

I started with a GSG and it was a piece of shit.  I was extremely lucky to find a Kimber Rimfire.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 10:24:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Find one of these.

Almost any barrel can be threaded and then an adapter is threaded on.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 10:27:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

This seems like a nice .22.  It's now a contender with the 22/45 when the time comes to buy a new .22 pistol.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p64/huanab/Firearms/IMAG2504.jpg

Brownings are around $450 and much easier to get than before.  They are scaled down, meaning they are a bit smaller and no factory 1911 parts fit.  They are the same size as the Llama .22, which I already own.  

A handy thing to note is the metal GSG mags will fit a Kimber rimfire and hold the bolt open after the last shot.  Kimbers mags don't do this.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 9:56:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is the way to go. My Marvel upper makes me smile. It is presently on a RIA host and makes me look like I can shoot.

Link Posted: 12/12/2014 11:07:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

I paid $540 out the door for mine. Then another $150ish for ADCO to thread it for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top