Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2014 7:54:15 PM EDT
Decided to go with the P22 because it's selling for $230 at PSO. $17 for shipping and my FFL does the transfer for free, so if I don't like it, I can probably unload it for what I paid.  Here is the link if you're interested in picking one up for cheap:

Walther P22 @ PSO
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:18:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Be careful. If you drop that gun, you might lose it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:38:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Be careful. If you drop that gun, you might lose it.
View Quote

I'm not sure what that even means, but I'm guessing there is some humor there somewhere that maybe my old man mind isn't picking up.

Oh, duh, the camo, I'm a little slow tonight.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:04:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought one, hate it. I haven't sold it because I let others shoot it so they dont make the same mistake I did.
The sight picture sucks, it has issues with cheap ammo (doesn't cycle well). The worst handgun I own. On a plus side, it hasn't broken yet.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:33:55 PM EDT
[#4]
M&P .22
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:18:29 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I bought one, hate it. I haven't sold it because I let others shoot it so they dont make the same mistake I did.

The sight picture sucks, it has issues with cheap ammo (doesn't cycle well). The worst handgun I own. On a plus side, it hasn't broken yet.
View Quote

I had a Sig Mosquito, which I was pretty disappointed with.  After a few trips to the range the mag safety broke.  (That is, the gun acted like there was no mag in the gun which activates a safety to prevent it from firing with only a loaded chamber.)  I sent the gun back to Sig.

While I was waiting for the return of the Sig I bought a Walther P22Q.  The gun only worked if there was 5 or less rounds in the mag.  I bought another mag and now it works fine.  Guess I got a bad mag with the gun.

Eventually I got the Sig back.  Well, rather than repair the gun I sent them, they sent me a whole new gun.  It has been a couple of years since I got the replacement Sig and I haven't gotten around to trying it yet.  No need as the Walther P22Q works fine.

I can't say if the P22Q is ammo sensitive as I've pretty much only shot it with CCI subsonic and a suppressor.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:06:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all the feedback, I decided to cancel the order, sent an email last night, Palmetto State Armory cancelled it immediately & sent me a confirmation email this morning, excellent customer service!
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:40:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I've shot the crap out of my P22 and haven't had the first problem except when it gets dirty from shooting it with a can on and about 1500 rds through it. I might start getting a failure to feed then buts expected with dirty 22 ammo and suppressed shooting. I'm very happy with mine and I can't imagine that I just got lucky because I never get lucky.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:06:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've shot the crap out of my P22 and haven't had the first problem except when it gets dirty from shooting it with a can on and about 1500 rds through it. I might start getting a failure to feed then buts expected with dirty 22 ammo and suppressed shooting. I'm very happy with mine and I can't imagine that I just got lucky because I never get lucky.
View Quote

I've heard this as well, but the predominant experience seems to be the opposite, I just decided to take a chance because it was pretty cheap. I thought about it last night and decided that every time I've purchased a weapon or tool because it was cheap, I've regretted it.  I thought it best to take a step back and reevaluate to make sure I get what I want and be more focused on value rather than price. Maybe I'm giving up a great chance to get a great gun on the cheap, but I thinks it's a better all around decision.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 11:11:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the feedback, I decided to cancel the order, sent an email last night, Palmetto State Armory cancelled it immediately & sent me a confirmation email this morning, excellent customer service!
View Quote

You have chosen wisely.

My P22 was a POS22.
Safety would turn itself on during shooting. Rounds would stand straight up causing jams. Cartridges would dive down in magazine. I don't think I went through a single mag without a failure.

Sent it back and S&W sort of fixed it.  It still doesn't behave as well as I expect. Once it blew up a cartridge when it was halfway in the chamber, sending bits of brass all over and bulging the pot metal slide.  I squeezed the slide back to spec and it works again, but I don't trust it.

I won't let anyone else shoot it now and I can't bring myself to trade it in to some poor unsuspecting buyer .

I have a Ruger 22/45 now and it works great. Also have a Colt Woodsman and a Challenger. Fantastic guns.

If I were to get another I'd get the new Ruger.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 3:54:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Ruger SR22 all the way , 620 rd's flawless ; ) make sure serial # begin's with 361 and there after ! IMO
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 10:48:32 PM EDT
[#12]
I love my P22! First time I shot it the accuracy wasn't great but it was fun to shoot.  After that though the accuracy improved dramatically and it's turned into probably the best "inexpensive" I've ever handled.  It doesn't require any fancy ammo, as long as the bullets aren't all bent up it'll shoot them.  Is it a gun that will last a couple generations? Probably not but I've had mine a couple years now and I expect it'll last longer than I will.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 10:44:57 AM EDT
[#13]
I've had a P22 for many years and it has never given me any problems. It feeds the bulk 22lr ammo I buy (Remington, Federal, and Winchester) and it is one of the handguns I always grab when I go to the range.

Others may have had issues with their P22, but I have not.    Is it the best small 22 out there???  Heck if I know, but it works for me.

Link Posted: 9/8/2014 12:05:42 PM EDT
[#14]
I had a lot of problems with my P22.  Just go look at the P22 "bible".
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 12:25:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Mine went back to S&W twice for slide failures.  The first issue was the slide release, being steel, gouged away at the slide (Tin?) until it would no longer hold the slide back.

Factory replaced the slide, sent it back.

It immediately began doing it again.  I figured I would just shoot it and forget about it.  Design issue. Nope, this time in addition to the gouging, the slide actually cracked on the ejection side.  

Sent it back to S&W.  

They replaced the slide again.

It's been sitting in my gunsafe, unfired, for 4+ years now.  I have no plans to sell it to anyone that I know/like.  And I haven't found a good way to trade it off to someone and keep my conscience clear.

TRG
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 1:34:41 PM EDT
[#16]
You sound like you are old enough to know quality.  

Spend a little more and buy a Browning Buckmark.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 1:44:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You sound like you are old enough to know quality.  

Spend a little more and buy a Browning Buckmark.
View Quote

Both S&W and Sig Mosquito suckered me in with their factory threaded barrels.

My Mosquito sucks as well, I just don't worry about it flying apart with a broken slide to my face.

TRG
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 1:59:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Don't buy the Walther P22.  I would buy the Ruger 45/22.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 10:13:00 PM EDT
[#19]
My p22... Just scroll down

http://www.ar15.com/mobile/topic.html?b=5&f=50&t=152999

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 10:47:15 PM EDT
[#20]
My P22 was great. No malfunctions in thousands and thousands of rounds. Ate anything I fed her. I regret selling her, but moving to CA from NV meant no threaded barrels.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:26:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My P22 was great. No malfunctions in thousands and thousands of rounds. Ate anything I fed her. I regret selling her, but moving to CA from NV meant no threaded barrels.
View Quote

The first time it went back for warranty work, the safety would randomly engage, likely due to a worn spring on the detent.
The second time it went back was because the mag would not lock into place...
The third time it went back for repair was because the slide literally broke in 2 pieces, bouncing the rear section off of my shoulder.

It hasn't been out of the return shipping box yet, and that was a few years ago by now I guess... I replaced it with a buckmark whisper....  And a 22/45 .......  Now I've bought a M&P Compact.... And am looking for either a 22 cal 1911 slide conversation, or a non zinc 1911 with a threaded barrel.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 8:23:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here... except I moved from a free state to another awesome free state.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top