Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2014 5:18:40 PM EDT
I'll preface this with saying I don't want another Ruger MK series pistol.  I've got a 22/45 LITE with VQ parts, and its probably the most fun gun I own.  I want something different for the GF and I have a bad habit of getting multiples of the same thing.  I had another Ruger at one point and got bored of the duplication.  

So...  I want

-Threaded barrel

-Not a P22 or Mosquito

-Not too picky with ammo...I know it may not be as reliable as my 22/45 which I have really good luck with, but I mostly shoot winchester and federal so...I don't want to fight with those.

I've not shopped for .22's much lately.  Lets hear what ya got.  

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:21:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Ruger SR22 I have two great suppressor hosts.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:47:26 PM EDT
[#2]
M&P22 fits the bill.

Also check out the M&P22 compact which is made all in house by Smith.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:51:02 PM EDT
[#3]
The Ruger SR22 was definitely in the running.  I've heard good things.  

Anyone know if it is like the P22, in where all the barrels are threaded, you just need a threaded barrel adapter?  

Is the M&P22 compact shield sized?  
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:51:11 PM EDT
[#4]
The S&W M&P 22 is the best service style there is. It's amazingly accurate and just a blast to shoot. Not picky on ammo. Mine doesn't like the federal american eagle lead nose crap but they suck anyway. It shoots everything else I have put in it, which is pretty much everything. That is my number 1 choice. I also have a ruger sr .22, I like that one as well but it is not quite as good as the S&W. Just got done shooting my SR, I like .22's. Go with the Smith, you wont be sorry, holds more ammo too.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:52:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Anyone know if it is like the P22, in where all the barrels are threaded, you just need a threaded barrel adapter?  

View Quote
The SR .22 is not necessarily threaded, you can get them threaded. Mine is not but I have a threaded barrel for it, it's easy to change.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:34:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Browning Buckmark Whisper
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:47:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The SR .22 is not necessarily threaded, you can get them threaded. Mine is not but I have a threaded barrel for it, it's easy to change.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have seen some posting where people have said the threaded barrels from Ruger were not square.

I bought the non-threaded SR22 and bought my barrel from Twin Tech. The Twin Tech barrel was perfect and easy to swap out.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 9:55:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Do you want a true target pistol with awesome accuracy? A threaded ruger mk series or even saw a threaded smith 41 on another forum
If you just want a tacticool plinker trainer then the current crop of guns like sr 22 or m&p would be fine.
I always answer these questions by asking purpose- to me a target gun is about high scores small groups while a plinker is more of a low cost trainer two different questions and answers
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:04:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

They are close in exterior dimensions, here's an excellent review with some side-by-side photos of a Shield and a M&P 22 Compact

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/new-smith-wesson-mp22-compact/

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:15:17 PM EDT
[#10]
What I got:

Full-size M&P 22, this was made by Walther and the business relationship between Walther and S&W was ended, so if you want one get it right now.  I do like my M&P 22 full-size since I can shoot it suppressed and it's a good M&P trainer.  If I was in the market for an M&P 22 now I would get the compact version instead, and a bunch of mags.

Beretta Neos, it's OK, nothing special accuracy wise, rear site is flimsy thin plastic, I won't miss it if I sold it.  I have/use the carbine kit for it, hasn't grown on me at all.

SIG 1911-22, it's a decent 1911 trainer styled pistol, I can shoot it suppressed, the finish wearing off has been an issue for many.  Like the Neos though, it wouldn't be missed if I sold it.

Browning Buckmark Camper/Whisper, I like this one most of all my plinkers.  This was a Lipsey's exclusive a couple years ago, comes with a threaded barrel for shooting suppressed, all black finish.  There are several variations of the Buckmark.  It's been in production for decades so there won't be a problem getting parts or support for it in the future.  I would miss this one a lot and don't plan on ever selling it.  At least not until I wear it out.  It's plenty accurate right out of the box.  Fits my hand perfectly, and the size/weight dimensions seems perfect to me.  YMMV.

Of my 22lr revolvers I like my S&W 617 6" most of all, very accurate albeit on the heavy side.  Can't shoot it suppressed, darn.

Beretta 89 target pistol; very rare, shoots very very well, never gonna sell it, magazines are stupid expensive /if/ you can even find them.  Lucky for me that I have six mags.

S&W M18 4" 6-shot revolver, bought at an LGS for a good price, thought it would grow on me but it's not getting much range time, might sell this.

HTH
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:18:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Ruger .... Ruger .... Ruger

A friend if mine won a S&W semi-auto 22 in a club raffle, out of the box it had problems and had to go back.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 4:41:01 PM EDT
[#12]
SR-22 is worth a look. Mine shoots any ammo I have tried so far.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 4:11:23 AM EDT
[#13]
I bought the Ruger SR22 dealer exclusive , blue barrel and 3 mag's for $335.00 plus tax ! 620 rd's no problem's ; )
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:35:06 AM EDT
[#14]
I think I'm gonna go check out an SR22 and M&P22 compact today.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 10:22:32 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't know anything about them but the Whitney wolverine looks like fun.

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 9:09:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Do you have a 1911. If so, why not a Marvel upper for it. Love mine and it makes me look like I can shoot.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:55:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

So...  I want
-Threaded barrel
-Not a P22 or Mosquito
-Not too picky with ammo...I know it may not be as reliable as my 22/45 which I have really good luck with, but I mostly shoot winchester and federal so...I don't want to fight with those.
View Quote

Buckmark Whisper model. Love mine!

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:44:24 PM EDT
[#18]
I bought a M&P 22 compact this weekend, my BIL got a SR22. I don't think that you can go wrong with either. He like the replaceable back strap,lower price, and the free mag offer that Ruger has going on right now. I was looking for the consistent trigger pull of the striker fired M&P (ruger is a double/single action and my little ones can not operate the double action first shot) the M&P feel, and the free ammo offering. Both can be mated with am adapter for silencer (important to me but he did not care).
Sr22 was $319 OTD
M&P was $338 plus tax
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top