Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2014 8:24:24 AM EDT
Anyone here own, shoot or handle one of the new mfg walther PPK-22's?
Any good?
Flimsy or well
Made???
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 7:57:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Umarex airsoft pot-metal shit.  It actually has nothing to do with the real Walther.  Think of it like the GSG 1911 or the M&P22.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 10:10:44 AM EDT
[#2]
You may want to consider the Bersa Thunder in .22.  It's about $75 cheaper (even on GB) and all bersa did was rebarrel and put in a lighter spring from their .380 from what I understand.  Don't own one right now, but been looking at them also.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 12:39:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I would also look at the Beretta Bobcat.  They are $275 and actually made of machined barstock steel and aluminum.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 1:48:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I actually own and shoot one of the new Umarex/Walther PPK/S pistols. Mine has over two thousand rounds through it.
The pistol is reasonably accurate. It has proven to be a bit finicky about the ammunition it likes. I also own a Bersa Thunder
and the same things can be said about it. The slide and frame of the Umarex/Walther is a Zinc alloy. The Bersa has a steel
slide and aluminum frame. It is unlikely that either will break - though the Bersa is probably stronger.

My favorite .22 plinkers are the original all steel Walther PP and PPK/S. They are more reliable than the newer Umarex/Walther
or the Bersa. Unfortunately these are a bit pricey in the United States and replacement mags cost $100++. I bought the
Umarex/Walther PPK/S to save wear and tear on my original guns and because spare magazines are much cheaper. As I said,
I like the older Walthers better, but I do not regret the purchase of the Umarex/Walther.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:58:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I also own a PPK/S .22 LR.  The frame and slide are made form Zamak, which is a high grade zinc alloy that has a good record in the gun industry.  The Ithaca Model 49 and Model were made with it, as is it's decedent the Henry .22 LR, and no one seems to be bitching about the "pot metal" receiver they use.  The high degree of purity in the Zamak alloys avoid the cracking and dimensional instability issues that are common with regular low grade "pot metal" zinc alloys.  

I've found mine to be accurate, reliable and not finicky on ammo at all, eating everything from sub sonic match ammo to standard velocity ammo, high velocity ammo  and bulk box ammo.  It's the only semi-auto I now that will reliably feed Remington Golden Bullets.

It's not made by Walther, but then neither were the Ranger made Walther PPKs and PPK/Ss or the current smith and wesson PPK and PPK/S pistols.  However, it does share the Walther PP series design elements and if you take them apart and compare them you'll see the obvious design with minor differences in execution to match the lower price point needed to keep it competitive with the host of other .22 LR pistols out there.

And all in all it's not a bad looking pistol for the money:

None the less, it's a gun people love to hate, especially those who've never actually owned one.  

----

There are however better options in the same price range if you're willing to look and buy used.   FEG makes the AP and APK series walther clones in .32 ACP, .380 ACP and 9mm Makarov.  They also make a versions with a lightened slide (milling away much of the steel) in .22 LR.  They go for $300-$350 or so in very good to excellent condition and magazines, while not common, can be found. Depending on who imported them  they are excellent (Interarms) to very good (K.B.I) guns.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:35:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Umarex airsoft pot-metal shit.  It actually has nothing to do with the real Walther.  Think of it like the GSG 1911 or the M&P22.
View Quote

The M&P 22 is an aluminum slide, not Zamak, It is also not shit.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:46:27 AM EDT
[#7]
DakotaFAL, could you tell me where you got the fancy wood grips? They look great.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 8:58:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I also own a PPK/S .22 LR.  The frame and slide are made form Zamak, which is a high grade zinc alloy that has a good record in the gun industry.  The Ithaca Model 49 and Model were made with it, as is it's decedent the Henry .22 LR, and no one seems to be bitching about the "pot metal" receiver they use.  The high degree of purity in the Zamak alloys avoid the cracking and dimensional instability issues that are common with regular low grade "pot metal" zinc alloys.  

I've found mine to be accurate, reliable and not finicky on ammo at all, eating everything from sub sonic match ammo to standard velocity ammo, high velocity ammo  and bulk box ammo.  It's the only semi-auto I now that will reliably feed Remington Golden Bullets.

It's not made by Walther, but then neither were the Ranger made Walther PPKs and PPK/Ss or the current smith and wesson PPK and PPK/S pistols.  However, it does share the Walther PP series design elements and if you take them apart and compare them you'll see the obvious design with minor differences in execution to match the lower price point needed to keep it competitive with the host of other .22 LR pistols out there.

And all in all it's not a bad looking pistol for the money:

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h470/SDBB57/0E5C2A84-8A58-473A-8C03-D43A91FF6207-106-0000000069708498_zps1ebb41d1.jpg

None the less, it's a gun people love to hate, especially those who've never actually owned one.  

----

There are however better options in the same price range if you're willing to look and buy used.   FEG makes the AP and APK series walther clones in .32 ACP, .380 ACP and 9mm Makarov.  They also make a versions with a lightened slide (milling away much of the steel) in .22 LR.  They go for $300-$350 or so in very good to excellent condition and magazines, while not common, can be found. Depending on who imported them  they are excellent (Interarms) to very good (K.B.I) guns.

View Quote

Not trying to be argumentative, but....really?  There's lots of "discussion" about that.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 11:14:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't confuse yourself.  The M&P22 is a Umarex product and like all Umarex products, has a zinc-aluminum alloy (aka ZAMAK, aka pot metal) slide.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:45:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Don't confuse yourself.  The M&P22 is a Umarex product and like all Umarex products, has a zinc-aluminum alloy (aka ZAMAK, aka pot metal) slide.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

S&W characterizes the M&P22 on their website as 'aerospace aluminum alloy'.  While Zamak is a zinc/aluminum/magnesium alloy it isn't an aerospace aluminum.  In addition I've found nothing online to indicate that the slide on a M&P22 is Zamak or anything other than what S&W says it is.

Do you have a source you can cite or are you just guessing based on where the pistol is manufactured?
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 4:02:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I know they aren't the same as a real steel or earlier PPK, but I too am interested in a review - I like the looks and have been happy with my other GSG 1911 and P22 aluminum and plastic guns.  Still fun. But I agree, I'd prefer an older one If I could find one reasonable.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 10:08:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very sure the confusion is all on the other side, my friend

Aluminum slide
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top