Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/6/2014 12:56:56 PM EDT
Who is the best to trust cutting a MK Hunter barrel for a can, and have the thread protector look as if the barrel wasn't modified?
Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 3:59:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I have had good service from:

http://www.jpgrips.com/

Stolen image from their site.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 4:13:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Gemtech did mine.  Very nice work on the barrel nut.  I have no idea how they match it up so nicely.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 10:00:53 PM EDT
[#3]
That looks slick. Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 8:27:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Another vote for Jim Pixley......he does outstanding work. I just got the barrel back from him for my Browning Buckmark:

I also added a Tactical Solutions scope rail with the integral rear sight:

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 8:58:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I looked at a lot of places, and I decided to buy a 22/45 lite already threaded.

I think it is the best decision.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 11:08:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm following your, and others suggestion, Jim's already got in hand to do a seamless slick thread protector and turn the barrel down @ 0.024".
Here's a pic of a short barrel from his website.
http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/2/5/1/8/4/7/webimg/711508348_o.jpg?nc=685
My Volquartsen 10/22 fluted, comped bull barrel went to VQ to take the 9/16" threads down to 1/2".
We'll see how they turn out.
Thanks
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 12:07:57 PM EDT
[#7]
JP Grips did a barrel threading job for me on my RUger 22/45 and Remington 597 and its really nice. He also drilled/tapped/mounted a TacSol rail for me. Great work
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:59:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:03:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Wow, that looks great!
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:44:43 PM EDT
[#10]

Holy crap, you can barely see the line where the thread protector meets the barrel, I had to look three times to find it. Fantastic job!
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:22:01 PM EDT
[#11]
PV, this was JP Grips who did this work?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:39:06 PM EDT
[#12]
JP is the Man !!!!! Had my Ruger MKII cut down from 5.5 to 4.25 to keep most all 22 ammo subsonic when suppressed He has the best price for the GREAT job he offers !!!! Price includes threading barrel, Machine Ruger Warning off Barrel, Set back front sight, Thread protector,and return shipping. No additional charge if you want your barrel Shortened and Recrowned. For all this locally they wanted between 2 and 3 hundred JP did it for 155 I use this Ruger at plate shoots and it is a tack driver

" />
" />
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 9:45:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
JP is the Man !!!!! Had my Ruger MKII cut down from 5.5 to 4.25 to keep most all 22 ammo subsonic when suppressed He has the best price for the GREAT job he offers !!!! Price includes threading barrel, Machine Ruger Warning off Barrel, Set back front sight, Thread protector,and return shipping. No additional charge if you want your barrel Shortened and Recrowned. For all this locally they wanted between 2 and 3 hundred JP did it for 155 I use this Ruger at plate shoots and it is a tack driver

http://<a href=https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3711/9567405862_7feb17a46e_z.jpg</a>" />
http://<a href=https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5322/9567405958_0b62017269_z.jpg</a>" />
View Quote

Beautiful.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:01:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Gemtech did mine.  Very nice work on the barrel nut.  I have no idea how they match it up so nicely.
View Quote

The way I match them up so nicely is to make a pre-threaded oversize protector before threading the barrel (essentially a thread-protector blank). Then dial the barrel in to less than .0001" runout (very tough to do). Thread the barrel, recheck runout, thread on the thread-protector blank, and then finish machine it down to .0001-.0003" over the barrel OD. Face front of protector off to however you want it, then remove the protector (might be very tight from machining process but I've never had one require anything more than rubber jaw pliers). There with be a very fine edge on the back of the protector. Lightly knock this off with a file and you will now have a thread protector that match the gun. Very, very close inspection may show a slight mis-match or OD variation but it's on the order of 1/10,000th of an inch and is very tough to see.

The faster "dirty" way is to do as above with the knurled thread-protector. Knurling back to the edge hides the mis-match.

Another way to do the matched, smooth protector start similar to what I do with a blank except instead of dialing in the barrel so close you can turn down the entire barrel OD a few thousandths... Typically the problem with this is that now the engraving/roll-marks on the barrel look funky. So to get rid of those you have to turn quite a bit off the barrel OD until the roll-marks are gone entirely. Now your front site will start to fit differentely (changing POI and how the contoured site fits the contour of the barrel). OTOH, if your barrel doesn't have roll-marks, dial the barrel to within .001" and just turn .002" or so off to get a consitent cut all the way back...

There is no perfect way to do it, all of them have their draw-backs. I prefer to take the extra time to do a perfect setup (sometimes I can spend as much as 45 minutes dialing in and checking/re-checking runout) vice turning extra material off the barrel.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 10:25:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Strider98
"Holy crap, you can barely see the line where the thread protector meets the barrel, I had to look three times to find it. Fantastic job"

I was surprised how easy it is to see in the picture vs looking at it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 10:28:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
PV, this was JP Grips who did this work?
View Quote

He sure did! I wouldn't praise his work if I wasn't thrilled.
http://www.jpgrips.com/
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 10:11:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Strider98
"Holy crap, you can barely see the line where the thread protector meets the barrel, I had to look three times to find it. Fantastic job"

I was surprised how easy it is to see in the picture vs looking at it.
View Quote

I was looking at the top of the barrel, where the light is hitting it, and didn't see it the first coupla times I looked at it, then looked at the bottom of the barrel in shadow, and you can barely see it. Very nice smithing.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 11:42:19 PM EDT
[#18]
If you want the barrel to look like its not modified with a thread protector then next barrel have JP do it like this.

Link Posted: 8/4/2014 11:59:26 PM EDT
[#19]
That is really nice work ! It looks like what I had done on my Ruger MK III.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top