Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/30/2014 2:50:38 PM EDT
Sig Sauer is releasing a P232 and a P938 in .22LR!

The P232 is going to be an Umarex zamak POS in the same vein as the P22, New Walther PPS .22LR, Sig Mosquito, and other various pretenders on the market.

The P938 however, will be an actual real deal gun.  Not an airsoft toy with a firing pin!  

Is anyone else excited by this!?!  MSRP is $656 so that means street prices in the mid to high $500's.  But if it is as good as the specs say, I'll pay MSRP for one.

I'm always interested in quality .22 LR pistols hitting the market, but have been continually let down by the constant barrage of Zinc, and even Aluminum "toys" hitting the market.  A diminutive SAO .22LR auto with 1911 type ergos and trigger really has my attention here.

What do you guys think?

There were a bunch of Spanish pistols that followed this format years ago, but they never had the reliability or craftsmanship to buy in even at junk-gun prices.

https://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p938-22lr-rosewood.aspx

Link Posted: 3/30/2014 5:07:51 PM EDT
[#1]
looks cool.  My conversion for my classic sig is awesome though.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 9:37:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Aluminum frame.  Aluminum slide?

ETA, Looks cool.  Kinda reminds me of a <gasp> Star Firestar.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 12:16:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Aluminum frame.  Aluminum slide?

ETA, Looks cool.  Kinda reminds me of a <gasp> Star Firestar.
View Quote

Steel slide
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 12:39:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Needs a factory threaded barrel        

Link Posted: 4/1/2014 12:42:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

First thing I thought.

You sure the slide is steel?  I don't see it mentioned and I wonder if it would be too heavy to cycle reliably?
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 1:00:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

First thing I thought.

You sure the slide is steel?  I don't see it mentioned and I wonder if it would be too heavy to cycle reliably?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

First thing I thought.

The blog I saw it announced in said steel

The weight is 16oz, which is the same as a 9mm 938

I guess we will have to wait to see

Wondering if this is possibly an adaptor slide that other 938's could use?
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 1:16:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Then again, its not like I'll be buying any handguns as long as I'm in MD
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 6:04:40 PM EDT
[#8]
The .22 conversions won't be available until late q4, according to a Sig comment made by their CSRs.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 8:34:43 PM EDT
[#9]
When is the standalone "long slide" version expected to become available?

I've been pricing beretta 70 series pistols and most are $$ or beat to shit. This looks to fill that role nicely.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 2:59:56 AM EDT
[#10]
I agree with jaqufrost(factory threaded barrel)!
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 12:44:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I agree with jaqufrost(factory threaded barrel)!
View Quote

I agree too,  where is the threaded barrel?
If I can just get a conversion for my current P938, I will have Tornado Tech threaded it for me even if Sig is stupid and doesn't come out with an extended threaded barrel version.
But Sig is known for never quite coming out with exactly what people want but slowly getting closer while never getting there version by version, i.e.Sig 556, then Sig 556 "Classic", then Sig 556 "A1", just make a 550 already danmit!!
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 1:37:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Did someone say .22 Mag

Sorry my bad
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 3:03:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup. Otherwise I have zero interest in one.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 5:30:04 PM EDT
[#14]
really cool i just got a P938 extreme and love it,
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 8:52:48 PM EDT
[#15]
put me down for the conversions when they hit the shelves. love my 938 adding a 22 conversion would be awsome.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:14:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Is the extended magazine obligatory? I like the idea of having a pea-shooter in .22lr so I can practice shooting something with the same sight distance as my P238, but at a lower cost, but I do not like extended magazines. I'd much rather practice with something that has the same grip size as the gun I carry (yes, I know I can just not squeeze the whole thing, I don't care). Does anybody else feel this way?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:22:06 PM EDT
[#17]
I am really looking forward to these. I will own the first one I see.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:22:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Is the extended magazine obligatory? I like the idea of having a pea-shooter in .22lr so I can practice shooting something with the same sight distance as my P238, but at a lower cost, but I do not like extended magazines. I'd much rather practice with something that has the same grip size as the gun I carry (yes, I know I can just not squeeze the whole thing, I don't care). Does anybody else feel this way?
View Quote

Yes
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:24:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't need a threaded barrel.

I have a threaded Ruger MkIII with an AAC Element for that.  With all the goofy "tactical" stuff (light, mRDS, silencer, cool grips) hooked up to it, it's a bit bulky.

I want a .22LR auto I can put in my pocket.

Why?  Because, pocket.

There are some micro-cans on the market that use wipes that could conceivably keep it quite compact.  But I doubt they would make any difference to the report for my needs.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:39:48 AM EDT
[#20]
This pistol may actually make me want to go through all the new registration crap MD has.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 10:45:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
put me down for the conversions when they hit the shelves. love my 938 adding a 22 conversion would be awsome.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 12:37:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Want longslide with threaded barrel. Trying to wait patiently, but it's tough.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 1:20:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Just got back from gun store

Handeled p938 for first time

Not a 22.  They hadn't heard of it either.

This would make a good .22 though
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 2:48:01 PM EDT
[#24]
I  handled a P938 .22 today. My only complaint was the plastic magazine. Other than that handles like my P238 with an extended magazine.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 2:56:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I  handled a P938 .22 today. My only complaint was the plastic magazine. Other than that handles like my P238 with an extended magazine.
View Quote

Thanks for the feedback

How much were they selling it for?
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 12:59:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Thanks for the feedback

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the feedback

This

Just saw Bud's has 'em for $504
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 4:53:23 PM EDT
[#27]
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_28/products_id/92572/Sig+Sauer+93822RGAMBI+P938+22LR+Rosewood+22+LR+3.3%22+10%2B1+Ros

Interesting.  So.. we think there will be a 938 plus a 22lr conversion for it?  I think I need to go handle a 938.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 1:04:58 AM EDT
[#28]
These have been showing up for sale online for a little while now, does anybody own one yet? A quick review would be much appreciated.

Saw this, it doesn't give too much new information though:

http://youtu.be/qp6XUw0ZmDc
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 3:03:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Sig told me that the .22LR slide and the 938 conversion slides are all the same and will fit on the 9mm frame.
BUT I should have asked if the frames are exactly the same--in case I want to upgrade and get a 9mm slide and mags at some point.  

I WAS holding out for a longslide conversion (with a threaded barrel), but the more I reviews I read, the more the 9mm 938 looks like they just recently worked all the bugs out (Gun Test gave their review-gun an F).
I'm sure 95% are fine, but I'll definitely want to see some reviews of the 938-22 before buying one, since Sig's last .22lr (the Mosquito) had quite a few bugs.  I know people who think they're STILL buggy, though I assume by now 99.9% have to be good to go.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 7:45:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Sig told me that the .22LR slide and the 938 conversion slides are all the same and will fit on the 9mm frame.
BUT I should have asked if the frames are exactly the same--in case I want to upgrade and get a 9mm slide and mags at some point.  

I WAS holding out for a longslide conversion (with a threaded barrel), but the more I reviews I read, the more the 9mm 938 looks like they just recently worked all the bugs out (Gun Test gave their review-gun an F).
I'm sure 95% are fine, but I'll definitely want to see some reviews of the 938-22 before buying one, since Sig's last .22lr (the Mosquito) had quite a few bugs.  I know people who think they're STILL buggy, though I assume by now 99.9% have to be good to go.
View Quote

The mosquito isn't really a Sig gun.  It's an Umarex (Walther) gun.

The 938 .22LR is a Sig Sauer produced gun.

You are holding out for a long slide threaded variant? Do you know of any info on this, or are you just making that configuration up?
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 7:58:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Nice.

I'll grab a conversion slide as soon as possible.

Luvs me a SIG 938. A .22 is gonna be fun.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 12:28:48 PM EDT
[#32]
The conversion uppers should be out Q4, but the regular AND longslide guns are already out--the longslide came out a week after the short one it seems.
I've seen them for sale online, but haven't read a review yet.  Too new.
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 1:47:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Well crap, there were ONLY 3 of the Target versions on Gunbroker today, and one was $499, while the others went up to $570 with buy now prices over $600.

So I got one for $500.  I'm going to have to sell my THREADED SR22 for this non-threaded gun (and figure out who will thread it for me), BUT I'm hoping this will be a winner.
The SR22 fit my hand better than any gun I've EVER owned (a little small, but that made it conform perfectly).  This one is a tiny bit shorter and a bit longer.

For me to keep it, it will need to be 100% reliable, as accurate as the SR22 (like 4" at 25Y unsupported), AND quieter than the SR22 with my Sparrow (it's a 4.1" barrel vs a 3.5").
IF it does all that, then hopefully I won't feel compelled to buy a Beretta 87 or a nice 70/71.
IF it doesn't do all that, then I'll selling it, getting another SR22 for plinking and a 22/45 LITE for suppressed shooting and accuracy (which will cost me as much as a Beretta 87, but be more versatile even though I'll STILL wish I'd bought a Beretta 87).  

Link Posted: 6/4/2014 3:25:09 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm waiting for the .22 conversion kit, and hopefully, by then, there will be an OEM threaded barrel for the longslide version. In the mean time, I will continue to carry my P938 as my EDC CC weapon.
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 3:55:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Well crap, there were ONLY 3 of the Target versions on Gunbroker today, and one was $499, while the others went up to $570 with buy now prices over $600.

So I got one for $500.  I'm going to have to sell my THREADED SR22 for this non-threaded gun (and figure out who will thread it for me), BUT I'm hoping this will be a winner.
The SR22 fit my hand better than any gun I've EVER owned (a little small, but that made it conform perfectly).  This one is a tiny bit shorter and a bit longer.

For me to keep it, it will need to be 100% reliable, as accurate as the SR22 (like 4" at 25Y unsupported), AND quieter than the SR22 with my Sparrow (it's a 4.1" barrel vs a 3.5").
IF it does all that, then hopefully I won't feel compelled to buy a Beretta 87 or a nice 70/71.
IF it doesn't do all that, then I'll selling it, getting another SR22 for plinking and a 22/45 LITE for suppressed shooting and accuracy (which will cost me as much as a Beretta 87, but be more versatile even though I'll STILL wish I'd bought a Beretta 87).  

http://shop.sigsauerguns.com/core/media/media.nl?id=1075554&c=3326487&h=29a7eed2c7c22b7647f5
View Quote

Very nice, I'm looking forward to hearing how your new pistol performs with different ammo types (especially bulk).

How does the grip fill the hand with that extended plastic magazine, does your pinky have a comfortable place to live?
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 11:53:54 PM EDT
[#36]
The GOOD NEWS:  There's as much room on the grip as there is on a P22 or SR22...no pinky overhang for me (with medium sized hands).

The BAD NEWS:   I held one in the LGS tonight and it was DEFINITELY lighter than the 9mm P938 (and a little bit longer I think).  
I'm afraid we've been had--this too has the zinc alloy slide...I'm 99% sure of it.  And what's worse, I've bought one already thinking it was steel.
I may sell it new, unused, or I may try it out a bit at the range...I'm just ticked SIG didn't come forward to dispel rumors it was steel or confirm it was or whatever.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 12:45:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Well... that sucks.

Give yours the magnet test when it arrives.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 11:43:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Magnet test failure on slide.  
It may not be made by Umarex, but it's a zinc-alloy feeling material.  Very lightweight.  
I believed SIG's website and got screwed--I almost feel like they should refund me until they get the specs right on their website.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 12:43:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The GOOD NEWS:  There's as much room on the grip as there is on a P22 or SR22...no pinky overhang for me (with medium sized hands).

The BAD NEWS:   I held one in the LGS tonight and it was DEFINITELY lighter than the 9mm P938 (and a little bit longer I think).  
I'm afraid we've been had--this too has the zinc alloy slide...I'm 99% sure of it.  And what's worse, I've bought one already thinking it was steel.
I may sell it new, unused, or I may try it out a bit at the range...I'm just ticked SIG didn't come forward to dispel rumors it was steel or confirm it was or whatever.
View Quote

Oh well.  

Hoping it's aluminum frame or something or just a lightened slide with internal lightening cuts
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 12:44:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
It may not be made by Umarex, but it's a zinc-alloy feeling material.  Very lightweight.  
I believed SIG's website and got screwed--I almost feel like they should refund me until they get the specs right on their website.
View Quote

They should

And they misled me too.

Link Posted: 6/6/2014 1:11:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thanks for keeping us informed.

I wonder how many others have bought this pistol based on the specs Sig has up?
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 1:16:44 PM EDT
[#42]
I picked up a 938 Scorpion a few weeks ago. It's a great summer carry piece. A 22 conversion would be nice.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 5:32:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Could it possibly be aluminum instead, like the M&P22? Just wondering
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 9:11:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Yep.  It could be.  I'll weigh it tonight and post weight and measurements for the longslide P938-22.  

(I'm not firing it until after the gunshow this weekend, since I may try to sell it there; after barrel threading--or a threaded barrel--this was going to cost me $710 + $40 for a 2nd mag...I missed a pristine Beretta 87BB with 2-10rd mags for $799 the other day on GB.  Heck, I may just pick up a Walther-umarex PPK/S to see how it suppresses with the Sparrow.)
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 8:31:50 PM EDT
[#45]
In the pictures it looks like anodized aluminum to me. That makes sense because most .22 handguns are going that route on the slides these days.
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 12:27:55 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
In the pictures it looks like anodized aluminum to me. That makes sense because most .22 handguns are going that route on the slides these days.
View Quote

Is it odd that I'd be more comfortable with aluminum than zinc?
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 10:34:54 AM EDT
[#47]
I had the opportunity to handle a few at the gun show yesterday and they had a quality feel to them

The slide is machined aluminum rather than zinc/pot metal and the frames were standard frames.

All in all, very  nice little pistols to own and train with if you've got the 9mm version.
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 11:09:03 AM EDT
[#48]
Heh.  I'm headed to possibly that same gunshow (in Jax, FL), to try to sell my NIB, unfired one now (or get $480 in trade--paid $540).  
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 12:29:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not at all. Aluminum has been proven to work for these applications. Although both what we call "aluminum" and "zinc" are usually alloys containing various amounts of said metals, I think we can generally assert that aluminum will be fine for the slide. My only gripe with it is that these slides tend to be so light that there is very little recoil. If I am going to use a pistol as a trainer, I want a little more oomph.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 6:38:26 PM EDT
[#50]
I got to shoot my friend's non-target version today and it was great.
It ate CCI minimag (40gr CPRN), CCI standard, then some FED bulk and Win 333.  His cycled weak stuff--I don't know if it was 60gr SSS or some of the new quiet CCI (that was gone before I got there).

The front sight is too thick for me, but we were hitting cans at 25Y without much problem.  
I've still got mine for sale, but I may end up holding on to it once I get to the range and rent a 9mm 938.  If I could get used to the cocked and locked carry, everything else is nice (except I'd have to get the .22 threaded).
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top