Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2014 11:05:28 PM EDT
I'm wondering if anyone would have an interest in making their own Ruger Mk3 clone (out of 6061-T6 aluminum). I'm thinking that a lot of people may have bought an HF mini mill, did some AR lowers with it, and now the mill is sitting around, maybe waiting for another project.

The "80%" receiver would be basically just a piece of tubing with the proper ID and OD (and a detailed set of instructions), which is cut to length and threaded on one end for the barrel.

The remaining operations would be some milling and drilling, and of course anodizing (or some other treatment).

It would look like this:

Link Posted: 3/28/2014 10:10:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Interesting idea.

Where would one source a barrel?
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 11:11:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Interesting idea.

View Quote

And maybe get a 16" one to make a carbine?
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 11:14:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Interesting idea.

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/28/2014 12:02:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Hello Maleante,

Someone is selling new factory take-off 5.5" stainless steel barrels on ebay. I also frequently see other barrels for sale on ebay.

Numrich apparently has some 4 3/4" tapered stainless barrels available, and both Clark Custom Guns and Volquartsen usually have them from time to time, but you have to call to check their inventory.

You'll also need an ejector - which you can attach to the receiver with a 4-40 machine screw (it doesn't have to be riveted), and Midway sells them for about $3.

Also, although I haven't tried it (yet) I don't think it would be too hard to make a barrel from a barrel blank.

Quoted:
Interesting idea.

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/28/2014 12:04:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Interesting idea.

View Quote

http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 8:44:10 AM EDT
[#6]
I think th biggest obstacle is getting blank tubing with the proper OD. There is much 4130 DOM tubing with the correct ID but slightly too small on th OD. The tube to frame fit is sloppy on that tubing...just a fyi...
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 11:55:57 AM EDT
[#7]
I got a piece of DOM steel tubing from a local metal supply place and the OD was about 1.002" while the ID was about 0.758".

It's eccentricity is small (i.e., it's almost perfectly circular) so you wouldn't have to take very much off the OD...maybe only 0.002" or 0.003" to get a nice outer surface. On the other hand, the ID is a little on the large side, as I measured a factory Ruger Mk3 receiver to be about 0.752".

I don't know how critical the receiver ID is for reliable functioning, but I would guess that the more slop you have, i.e., the greater the clearance between the bolt OD and the receiver ID, the greater the likelihood of a failure to feed.

So I think 0.75" aluminum pipe may be the way to go, as there seems to be enough meat to get the OD and ID very close to the apparent factory specs.

Link Posted: 4/2/2014 5:17:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Very Interesting Idea...I would be in for a project of that type...

Which begs the question how hard are all the other parts needed to get
for a fully working sample (less the barrel) ?

Quality 7075-T6 Aluminum tubing would be Ideal...

Keep us posted...
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 8:39:50 PM EDT
[#9]
I can tell you that these receivers work very well and they look good. (An acquaintance of mine just made his own target pistol and he's very happy with it. He happened to have an old Mk2 lying around, so he used that frame).

I hope to post a set of instructions with pictures soon.

I'm thinking that I may sell the 6061 tubing in cut-to-length pieces, with one threaded end, for $50 or $60, if anybody wants one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top