Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2014 9:29:44 PM EDT
I'm looking for an inexpensive .22 revolver for plinking and small game.  I've looked at both the Heritage Rough Rider and the H&R 929.  

I don't really care for the quality of the Rough Rider, nor the safety.  

I'm unsure of the quality of the H&R although its seems better built, yet no longer made (potential parts availability issue).

I'm just looking for input.  Can't really justify right now spend the money on a Ruger or S&W.

Link Posted: 2/3/2014 1:12:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a Rough Rider and it's not a bad little gun.  The safety comes in handy when training new shooters as they can drop the hammer without damaging the firing pin or anything else.  The grips are finished well, have nice grain, and fit as well as any Ruger revolver I've owned.  

The finish is mediocre, but its otherwise functional.  When I got it, I disassembled the gun and found "paint" (or whatever it is they put on the frame) on some of the trigger parts.  I carefully removed it with a Norton india stone, put some moly grease on the trigger and hammer sear surfaces, and reassambled.  That helped tremendously with the trigger.  

It's certainly no Single Six, but it was about a third of the price of one.
Link Posted: 2/3/2014 2:30:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Of the two, the 929 is a better pistol, if you can find one in reasonable shape. You won't find much love for the Rough Rider, but they are functional, efficient, and reasonably accurate, as long as you don't mind the mediocre finish & cheap feel they impart. If you really must go cheap, your best choice would likely be the Rough Rider. If you can, just wait a bit longer, save your pennies, & get yourself a Smith 917 or a Single Six, or possibly a Single 10 or SP101,  they aren't horribly priced, & will easily give you a lifetime or two or three of faithful service.

Buy once, cry once.
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 6:39:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, I found a used Rough Rider with a 4 3/4 barrel used for $150 out the door.  After inspection, it is certainly a cheap gun but it will suit my needs.  I'm going to try to pick up a H&R as well.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 10:05:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Rough Rider with the 22mag cylinder. I have not shot it a lot due to lack of .22 but was happy with the .22 mag I shot out of it. You get what you pay for and you can catch one at a really good deal, I would go for it. I did have to do some "Kentucky Windage" because I did not want to file the front sight yet.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 10:51:09 AM EDT
[#5]
$150 for a used Rough Rider is downright extortion as that's what they cost brand new.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 5:42:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't waste your money on a "Rough Rider". Double-down and buy something not made of monkey metal.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 1:07:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought a used sp101 for $400. 4" barrel and 6 shots.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 2:41:59 PM EDT
[#8]
H&R 929 is a decent gun for a cheap old .22 revolver.  Get that.

rough rider is junk
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 11:16:30 AM EDT
[#9]
I had a Rough Rider and it's not a bad pistol for what they cost. I did trade up to a Single Six and it is a really nice pistol, then again they cost more.

Between a Rough Rider and a 939? I would go with a 939.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 4:23:37 PM EDT
[#10]
H&R....No question.

I've a little H&R 922 pull-pin made in 1951 and it's stupid accurate for it's size.

A High-Standard Sentinel or Double Nine is also a good choice for  .22 revolver. They are not as inexpensive as they used to be due to collector appeal but worn finish (factory finish was on the thin side) examples are still reasonable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top