Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/24/2013 11:41:32 AM EDT
Ok, I have to admit when I first saw these I thought they looked stupid.   After a little deliberation,

coupled with the current political climate, I decided for the price I should just buy one.
Came in today.
Initial impressions -
Odd looking

Grip sucks

I don't like reaching towards the end of the barrel to charge a weapon.

with the bx-25 I think I would tend to grip the magazine potentially causing failures.

Fit and finish look decent.
I have fairly large hands, and this still feels big to me.
Hopefully this weekend i will put a few rounds through it.
Edit for update:

Took this out Sunday morning.  15* plus a windchill did not help.

I only fired 25 rounds from a factory 10/22 10 round magazine.  I did not attempt the bx-25

It comes equipped with the "high velocity" recoil spring installed.

According to their literature this would work for the cci blazer ammunition I had on hand.

First ten rounds attempted.  

1.   fired. fail to extract.  Casing still in chamber

2.  fired.  Empty case extracted but caught by bolt before ejecting

3.  fired.  Stove pipe jam

4.  fired.  stove pipe jam

5.  fired.  fail to extract. Casing in chamber

6.  fired.  stove pipe

7.  fired.  Failed to fully eject, caught by bolt.

8. fired. cycled

9. fired. cycled

10. fired. cycled

2nd magazine.  Loaded with fed bulk pack.  Literature calls for target recoil spring.  Did not change spring.

Similar results to first magazine.  Failed to cycle completely every time with varying types of jams.

3rd attempt I loaded 5 rounds of cci stingers

All five rounds fired and failed to cycle the next round.  Similar jams as first magazine.  All did extract, but jammed on ejecting.

Due to the temperature I did not attempt to fire anymore rounds.  I could not feel my fingers.  I did manage to find the zip-22 after I threw it the second time.

I will attempt a second outing the net time it gets above freezing.

Link Posted: 1/24/2013 11:54:50 AM EDT
[#1]
First I have seen of this gun. Price?
Link Posted: 1/24/2013 11:55:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Its a very interesting design. Dont forget to give us a range report
Link Posted: 1/24/2013 11:56:13 AM EDT
[#3]
This model is without any magazine.  I paid $218.00 with tax and shipping.

Link Posted: 1/24/2013 11:56:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Its a very interesting design. Dont forget to give us a range report

http://www.usfirearms.com/
Link Posted: 1/24/2013 11:58:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Load the magazines before you go to the range.

It will buy you an extra 5 minutes of range time before you freeze solid.
Link Posted: 1/24/2013 12:22:28 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Load the magazines before you go to the range.

It will buy you an extra 5 minutes of range time before you freeze solid.

I momentarily contemplated taking a ride just to try dumping a magazine through it.  6* outside right now without the windchill.  No thanks.

Plus I read this, which leads me to believe the bx-25 won't work well without their "upgrade"  

Link Posted: 1/26/2013 6:14:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Held one in my hand last Thur. Yes, they do feel weird on the grip. I believe *I* will pass on these puppies.
Link Posted: 1/28/2013 9:00:45 AM EDT
[#8]
This was a typical jam I encountered.  Shell extracted but caught by the bolt before ejecting.

Link Posted: 1/29/2013 3:17:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Our shop got four of these in today and I bought one, same experience as you’re having.

Running Federal 550 bulk pack with Butler Creek (25rd) and Ruger factory (10rd) magazines I only got it to fire twice in a row. Now reading the manual, it says to use 40 grain ammo. Tomorrow I’ll try some CCI Mini-Mag 40 grain to see if the situation improves at all, but I’m not holding my breath.

I switched the recoil springs, what they refer to as a striker spring, and got 100% failure to fire. I really don’t think it’s the ammo since the Federal runs in all my pistols, rifles, and LAGE .22 converted M11/nine all the time. Sent an email off to the company this afternoon when I got home to see if they had any ideas. It’s a neat little gun and I want it to run.

Almost made it little buddy!!

Link Posted: 1/29/2013 3:29:52 PM EDT
[#10]
they are neat looking
for me, i dont see it being anything but a plinker though
maybe they need some tweaking or more R&D from usfa

there any mention of break-in period?

eta:
how does it feel in hand?
how is trigger?
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 3:33:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Makes a Glock look positively svelte.
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 3:46:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Danm that is one ugly POS. Their web site made it look a lot smaller than what it is too.
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 3:47:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

eta:
how is trigger?

No mention that I saw in the manual of a break in time. Many guns will need a break in, but one round at a time is retarded.

Feels fine in the firing hand, not sure where to place my ofhandnd. (though its very busy clearing stuck cases)

Trigger is long but smooth, not exactly a target pistol.
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 4:27:39 PM EDT
[#14]
mine shot perfect after the first twenty rounds. The bx25 mags need the upgrade kit. Mine worked greart with rotary 10 rd mag
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 4:31:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Mine only worked with factory mags
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 5:14:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Mine only worked with factory mags

So BX-25 magazines with the upgrade functioned perfectly like the factory ten round? What ammo were you using? Suppressed or not?

Link Posted: 1/29/2013 5:23:39 PM EDT
[#17]
there is no oil in it...try that.
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 5:32:52 PM EDT
[#18]
More oil will make it eject?
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 5:41:02 PM EDT
[#19]
I bought one as well.  I have the BX 25 - 2 magazine (50 rd).  Have not fired it yet, but I am hping it will run ok.  It does appear to be a bit dry.  I think I will lightly oil it down before I go out to shoot it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2013 2:35:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
More oil will make it eject?

It should help boost the bolts velocity when ejecting the casing...could give the pistol just the oomph it needs to cycle. Worth a shot.
Link Posted: 1/30/2013 4:21:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Don't even waste the time using standard BX-25 mags. It won't cycle right until you get the upgrade in a couple weeks.  Just use the factory mag for now
Link Posted: 1/30/2013 4:41:46 AM EDT
[#22]
This thread makes me sad, but I still want one.

If any unhappy owners would like to sell me one, PM me.
Link Posted: 1/30/2013 5:17:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

So that's how you hold them.  Looks even more awkward than I imagined.

Link Posted: 1/30/2013 5:48:45 AM EDT
[#24]
They are a little (ok a lot) awkward to hold with the bx-25.  I want to grip the magazine with my other fingers.

With the 10 rounder it isn't as bad.

Quoted:

Quoted:

eta:

how is trigger?

No mention that I saw in the manual of a break in time. Many guns will need a break in, but one round at a time is retarded.

Feels fine in the firing hand, not sure where to place my ofhandnd. (though its very busy clearing stuck cases)

Nothing in the manual indicates a break in period.

The manual does say that they are self lubricating and require no lube.  I plan to try another range session before trying any.

Link Posted: 1/30/2013 5:49:23 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

mine shot perfect after the first twenty rounds. The bx25 mags need the upgrade kit. Mine worked greart with rotary 10 rd mag
 What is the serial number range of yours?  Just curious, mine is in the 300 range.

Link Posted: 1/30/2013 5:52:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:
 What is the serial number range of yours?  Just curious, mine is in the 300 range.

Mine is 5XX
Link Posted: 1/30/2013 5:54:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Is there any possible way to thread that barrel?
Link Posted: 1/30/2013 6:12:43 AM EDT
[#28]
I am pretty sure they have a threaded barrel on their website.

edit - http://22zip.com/pages/ZiPSuppressorBarrelKit.aspx

Link Posted: 1/30/2013 8:07:23 AM EDT
[#29]
I hate to say it, but there's even a break in the suppressor video where they might have had a jam.
Link Posted: 1/30/2013 10:57:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Loaded a Butler Creek 25rd and two Ruger factory 10rd magazines with CCI 40gr mini-mag ammo today. Almost the same results again today except the pistol fired two shots in a row for me once.

We pulled another pistol out of the display case and got the same results as the first pistol. All four guns will be headed back to the distributer or manufacturer, whoever will take them. Absolute garbage
Link Posted: 1/31/2013 4:34:18 AM EDT
[#31]
looks neat. i would spend the $220 as opposed to the $300+ for a decent .22lr - IF ZIP could do a better job QAing.
Link Posted: 1/31/2013 4:45:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Prob a very neet back up pack gun - kind of neat to have a pistol that runs off of your 10/22 mags.

if you like it - keep playing with it - 22's can be finniky some times.

I know that my ruger Mark II has a mag that it does not like and will not run with it.

My Advantage Arms Glock conversion was having all kinds of jams - FTE and FTF  - I was about ready to give up on it.  Reading the instruction manual - says to put oil on it every time you shoot - three places on the barrel hood and on the slide rails.  the last time I took it out - it ran 150 rounds like a champ.

Red

Link Posted: 1/31/2013 1:01:40 PM EDT
[#33]
I am looking to buy a new one...I will then force it to work...
Link Posted: 1/31/2013 4:42:18 PM EDT
[#34]
I will then force it to work...

That's what I'm thinking as well... won't be the first 22 I've had to F with so it would run. Mine should be shipping any day now... the panic buying back log is really slowing shipping times
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 5:59:07 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

That's what I'm thinking as well... won't be the first 22 I've had to F with so it would run. Mine should be shipping any day now... the panic buying back log is really slowing shipping times

the only .22lr I have ever owned that worked flawlessly out of the box...

were 10/22's, marlins or various models (I guess basically all were rifles)

the only hands guns were revolvers...

but I have yet to not make a semi auto pistol work after "fixing" it....

Link Posted: 2/4/2013 12:02:47 PM EDT
[#36]
I had similar stoppages with an older tech 22 oil it and lock the bolt to the rear for a week or so to let it "breath"

Or just use high velocity ammo that may help.

neat concept. Where is the safety?
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 6:47:21 PM EDT
[#37]
This thread makes me sad, because I just picked mine up today and really like it. Haven't shot it yet and apparently that's why I still like it. Mine is a 7XX Serial Number.

Link Posted: 2/5/2013 6:59:58 PM EDT
[#38]
The fuck? That's got to be the ugliest piece of shit looking thing I've seen since the Mossberg Chainsaw shotgun, or perhaps even the Colt 'All American 2000" pistol. Wow.

Edit for tech forums, sorry.

What is the price point on that little gem, and really is that the only option AT that price point? I mean, if you save a hundred bucks to buy a worthless brick, are you really saving anything when you could have bought something reliable that you can hold like a real gun?
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 1:33:35 PM EDT
[#39]
I think they look neat and I am going to buy one to go with my 2206, MK3, and SP101.  I already have the 10/22 and high cap mags to play with.
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 2:52:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Wow, strange design...looks very awkward in the pictures. I will pass on this one
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 2:56:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Interdasting.

OP its probably the BX-25 mag. I've one that is a flaming jam-o-matic POS. Try a standard 10rd and see how the gun runs.
Link Posted: 2/7/2013 3:29:22 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Interdasting.

OP its probably the BX-25 mag. I've one that is a flaming jam-o-matic POS. Try a standard 10rd and see how the gun runs.

All I used was the 10rd factory.  The zip's come with paperwork saying the bx-25 needs better springs.  i didn't even try them.

Link Posted: 2/8/2013 8:20:25 AM EDT
[#43]
I handled one at my local shop this morning.  Definitely different and felt really odd to hold.  I didn'tget one but I'm thinking about it.  They are so ugly but kind of cool.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 10:30:17 AM EDT
[#44]
As of right now, this thread has 3700 views, and for good reason.   These things are cheap and... different.  

If anyone gets one that works well, please post.   I dont mind tinkering with a .22, like most people, but no one wants a gun that will never work.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 5:45:35 PM EDT
[#45]
I have every intention of trying to make mine work.  The weather has not been cooperating lately though.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 3:25:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
They are a little (ok a lot) awkward to hold with the bx-25.  I want to grip the magazine with my other fingers.
With the 10 rounder it isn't as bad.

Quoted:
Quoted:

eta:
how is trigger?

Nothing in the manual indicates a break in period.

The manual does say that they are self lubricating and require no lube.  I plan to try another range session before trying any.

They said that about M16's too

Link Posted: 2/25/2013 2:14:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 8:16:07 AM EDT
[#48]
Any update on this one?
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 8:58:11 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

the only .22lr I have ever owned that worked flawlessly out of the box...

were 10/22's, marlins or various models (I guess basically all were rifles)

the only hands guns were revolvers...

but I have yet to not make a semi auto pistol work after "fixing" it....

My NIB S&W 422 has always run 100%. I've never had a jam firing Federal bulk pack. I don't think they make them anymore though.
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 9:01:30 AM EDT
[#50]
Not gonna hold my breath on these working reliably anytime soon.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top