Previous Page
Page:  / 6
Author
U.S. Rifle, Caliber .30, M1
Posted: 1/17/2012 2:33:12 PM
[Last Edit: 1/17/2012 3:48:37 PM by Dog1]
I have been searching for a M&P22 pistol for a while now. After 2 of my favorite dealers could not locate one, I was contacted on another board by a member that had 2, and was looking to sell a new one in the box.

So I said yes, and bought it.

A little about the pistol. It is made by Walther, the same company that brought us the craptastic P22. Before any P22 owners get their nickers in a knot, yes I have owned one. It never worked right. However, this is were the similarity with the P22 ends. It's a 1 to 1 in size, and only 1/2 pound lighter loaded, than a loaded centerfire M&P. The frame is heavier, due to the barrel block and what feels like some weight in the backstrap. The backstraps are not interchangeable, like the centerfire M&P's. The slide is machined Aluminium, not the pot metal type that the P22 is. I would suspect that it will be more robust that the P22's slide. The trigger is hinged, like the centerfire M&P's. It has ambidextrous slide locks and safeties. It also has a magazine disconnect safety.

It comes with adjustable sights, both the front and rear are drift adjustable, the rear has elevation. For drift, they have set screws and are easy to move. The rear's elevation is done via a slotted screw.

The barrel is like the Walther P22, with a barrelnut that holds it in the barrel block. The 1/2x28 thread adapters for the P22 works on the M&P22. I bought the Gemtech one. Here it is, taken out of the barrelblock-

As mentioned before, the slide is machined Aluminium, nearly identical to the stainless steel ones.-

The M&P22 is hammer fired, not striker like it's big brothers. The hammer is internal-

Beside a centerfire M&P-

I had planned to head to my outdoor club today, but we have had thunderstorms and high winds, so I headed to a indoor range. I took the M&P22 and 4 brands of ammo.

1. 40gr Federal Auto Match

2. 36gr CCI Mini Mags

3. 36gr Federal Value Packs

4. 36gr Remington Golden Bullet

I placed a target in the target stand, with 4 Birchwwood Casey Shoot-n-C's on it, and numbered them, 1-4. I placed the target at 30 feet. The course of fire was slow, fast, and as rapid as the range allows.

I had to drift the rear over to the right a tad, as it was shooting left. I fired 400 rounds, 50 first at a seperate target, then 350 rounds at the ammo test target, with zero malfunctions. A elderly shooter inquired about it and I let him run several mags through it, he too, was impressed with it. The trigger took a while to get used to. After shooting M&P's with Apex parts in it, the trigger is a tad gritty, but I think it will wear in nicely with more shooting.

After that, I procceded to shoot a bit more, Then the lights went out. Literally

A line of severe thunderstorms moved through the area, with high winds and a couple of funnel coulds. The power winked a couple of times and then went out.

I had hoped to shoot at least 500 rounds or more. But Mother Nature did not comply with that wish.

So far, I have been very happy with the little M&P22. It has, in informal tests out back and now at the range, has had 500 rounds run thorugh it, without a malfunction, something my old P22 never even got remotely close to in 1000 rounds before I sold it.

Hansan: "This is a .30 caliber, gas operated, clip fed, semi-automatic rifle....."
Soldier: "Look, you ain't sellin it to me, you're only showing me how it works."

Lorax
Is it fo time yet?
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/17/2012 7:07:25 PM
Nice report. This was the one I was going to get until the SR22 came out.

Never know, I may get a wild hair and .......get both!
All threads require the four "P" s of Arfcom: Pics , Poll, Paint or Pie
fnub315
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/21/2012 4:03:54 AM
I want one bad..this thread is not helping my wallet..
DylanLink
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/22/2012 7:51:34 AM
What is this barrel block you speak of? Is it the threaded nut looking thing at the muzzle and what is it's purpose, never seen one on this gun before?
Dog1
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/22/2012 11:06:10 AM
[Last Edit: 1/22/2012 11:12:19 AM by Dog1]
Originally Posted By DylanLink:
What is this barrel block you speak of? Is it the threaded nut looking thing at the muzzle and what is it's purpose, never seen one on this gun before?

The barrel block in the large part that the barrel is mount to, that sits in the frame.

This is the barrel removed-

On the end of the barrel you can see the threaded part. That is the barrel nut. The barrel slides through the barrel block, then a sleeve goes over the barrel. Then a barrel nut in threaded on the end. By tightening it, the barrel in tensioned into place in the barrel block. The nut also can be removed and a 1/2x28 adapter for a suppressor can be installed. The barrel nut that is in the pic, is a 1/2x28 adapter.

The arrow points to the barrel block-

The barrel is inserted through the block, from the breech end of the block. The block is held in place, in the frame, by a roll pin.
Hansan: "This is a .30 caliber, gas operated, clip fed, semi-automatic rifle....."
Soldier: "Look, you ain't sellin it to me, you're only showing me how it works."

BlackRifle76
Black Rifle Aficionado
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/22/2012 9:03:06 PM
[Last Edit: 1/22/2012 9:05:37 PM by BlackRifle76]
Are you sure about the slide being machined aluminum. I really want one, but don't want a piece of junk pot metal slide like what is on the Walther P22.

There is a brand new thread on this board about a guy's Walther slide cracking, breaking, and hitting him in the face while shooting. Dangerous to say the least, at least he had saftey glasses on.

I want a factory threaded barrel, so Ruger's new SR 22 is out of the equation.

Still waiting on my Gemtech Outback IID to get approved by the ATF and I have been trying to figure out what pistol to get so I am ready to target practice when I pick up my suppressor.

Thanks for the write up and your time.
A well regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free
State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be
infringed.
Dog1
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/22/2012 9:20:57 PM
Originally Posted By BlackRifle76:
Are you sure about the slide being machined aluminum. I really want one, but don't want a piece of junk pot metal slide like what is on the Walther P22.

There is a brand new thread on this board about a guy's Walther slide cracking, breaking, and hitting him in the face while shooting. Dangerous to say the least, at least he had saftey glasses on.

Still waiting on my Gemtech Outback IID to get approved by the ATF and I have been trying to figure out what pistol to get so I am ready to target practice when I pick up my suppressor.

Yes, the slide is aluminum. It is not the pot metal crap of the P22.

BlackRifle76
Black Rifle Aficionado
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/22/2012 10:03:35 PM
[Last Edit: 1/22/2012 10:05:27 PM by BlackRifle76]

Originally Posted By Dog1:

Arent both pistols made by the same company in Germany though, Umerex or something?
A well regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free
State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be
infringed.
TheTacticalCoyote
I Aim To Misbehave
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/22/2012 11:20:40 PM

Arent both pistols made by the same company in Germany though, Umerex or something?

Yes they are made by Walther who is owned by Umarex for Smith and Wesson to their specs. Just because Walther makes it, doesn't mean they make it the same way.
LCpl. Nigel K. Olsen March 4th, 2010 Southern Helmand Province, Afghanistan
LCpl. Carlos C. Aragon March 1st, 2010 Southern Helmand Province, Afghanistan
Dog1
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/23/2012 11:37:25 AM
Originally Posted By TheTacticalCoyote:

Yes they are made by Walther who is owned by Umarex for Smith and Wesson to their specs. Just because Walther makes it, doesn't mean they make it the same way.

TTC is correct.

if you look up the Walther, the specs does not even tell you what metal is used in the slide.

On S&W's site, the specs for the M&P 22 say this-Slide Material: Aluminum-Aeospace Alloy

Just by touching the slide on the M&P, I can tell that it is not the pot metal crap that Walther is made of.

Bink67
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/27/2012 6:05:11 AM
I've been thinking about getting one of these in the future. I live in NY though so the 12 round mag counts as a "Large capacity ammunition feeding device".

Do you think those mags could be easily permanently blocked to hold ten rounds?

ricksrifle
Squib Tester
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/27/2012 8:12:15 AM
Originally Posted By Bink67:
I've been thinking about getting one of these in the future. I live in NY though so the 12 round mag counts as a "Large capacity ammunition feeding device".

They are sold with either 10 or 12 round magazines with spares available for both. I think the S&W item number for the 10 round kit is #122000.
Stitches1974
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/27/2012 8:34:08 AM
Originally Posted By ricksrifle:

They are sold with either 10 or 12 round magazines with spares available for both. I think the S&W item number for the 10 round kit is #122000.

Bink67
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/27/2012 9:19:27 AM
Originally Posted By Stitches1974:

Well that was pretty easy. I don't know why I didn't see that before.
Stitches1974
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/27/2012 9:44:51 AM
Originally Posted By Stitches1974:

Well that was pretty easy. I don't know why I didn't see that before.

Glad to help a fellow New Yorker. Was born and raised on L.I.

Mahamotorworks
"The Man"
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/1/2012 5:33:26 AM
What did you pay for it? I noticed the MP22 when it came out but fell by thw wayside due to having a mosquito. Might get one with tax money. Should probably start looking at cans for them.

MAHA
Quote Originally Posted By rageracing
"......Tell the guy in the gun store that ARFCOM said he is a fucking dumb ass......"

Dog1
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/1/2012 9:04:21 AM
Originally Posted By Mahamotorworks:
What did you pay for it? I noticed the MP22 when it came out but fell by thw wayside due to having a mosquito. Might get one with tax money. Should probably start looking at cans for them.

MAHA

I paid $350, but that was from a private seller that had 2 and needed cash.

rcb1586
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/1/2012 12:27:33 PM
Originally Posted By Mahamotorworks:

MAHA

I got one on GB for $330 from a shop about an hour away.
Most prices I have seen are $350-$400.
Norinco982lover
Just a small town boy, livin' in a lonely world.
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/1/2012 5:51:25 PM
Have you shot it anymore since the initial review? I was sold on the buckmark but then the SR22 came out and now I'm finding this gun and its looking really nice.

Dog1
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/1/2012 5:52:15 PM
Originally Posted By Norinco982lover:
Have you shot it anymore since the initial review? I was sold on the buckmark but then the SR22 came out and now I'm finding this gun and its looking really nice.

Just informal, out back behind the house.

About 1000 rounds through it, still no failures.

MEDIKEIGHTED
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/1/2012 6:07:47 PM
does it fit the same holsters as the centerfire version?
I can't imagine being so utterly clueless and then thinking you have a valid point to make in a public forum. -Lumpy196 10-15-2010

Yes, it's exercise right up to 4:30...after that it's pron. -KILLERB6 04-10-2011

Stitches1974
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/1/2012 6:20:50 PM
Originally Posted By MEDIKEIGHTED:

According to Crossbreed holsters, their M&P holster will fit all full size M&P's. Waiting on my holster to be made, when It arrives I will be able to confirm or deny if they do.

Gun:S&W M&P semi auto, all variants (NOT the old M&P revolvers, sorry)
rcb1586
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/2/2012 9:45:19 AM
Originally Posted By MEDIKEIGHTED:

My 22 fits in the same holsters as my full size.
The only difference I have found is it is a little difficult to re-holster because the recoil spring is lighter on the 22. I also have all of my holsters set pretty tight for retention.
I just have to put my thumb on the back of the slide.
airgunner
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/5/2012 12:01:20 PM
[Last Edit: 2/5/2012 12:01:47 PM by airgunner]
Thanks for the nice review. While it sounds like this one may work out OK, I for one am very disappointed that Smith went this route. I would have much rather seen a conversion upper that worked on a standard frame. If I'm going to buy a gun like this as a training tool then I want it to have the same exact feel, controls and trigger as the centerfire gun it is mimicking. Otherwise what good is it?

How does the trigger in this gun compare feel wise (pull weight, break, reset) to a standard M&P trigger?
On going to war over religion: "You're basically killing each other to see who's got the better imaginary friend." - Richard Jeni
Dog1
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/5/2012 1:00:07 PM
Originally Posted By airgunner:
Thanks for the nice review. While it sounds like this one may work out OK, I for one am very disappointed that Smith went this route. I would have much rather seen a conversion upper that worked on a standard frame. If I'm going to buy a gun like this as a training tool then I want it to have the same exact feel, controls and trigger as the centerfire gun it is mimicking. Otherwise what good is it?

How does the trigger in this gun compare feel wise (pull weight, break, reset) to a standard M&P trigger?

I would have liked to have had a conversion kit too, but I have to take what I can get.

As for the trigger, it's not that close to a M&P trigger, but it's not really that bad either. I have nothing but Apex parts in my M&P's, so I'm spoiled.

BravoTraffic
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/5/2012 11:00:45 PM
Who has these in stock? I've been looking for a while with no luck? I'm definitely getting one now.
  Previous Page
Page:  / 6