Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2009 2:12:12 PM EDT
Am I correct in assuming the major difference between these are that the Professional is hand fitted by the custom shop and the TRP is more of a production gun?

Do they both have the same parts or what?

Thanks guys,

Travis
Link Posted: 6/23/2009 2:28:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I have both, and consider both to be production pistols, although the Professional is produced by the Springfield's Custom Shop.  In my opinion, anything they make 5000 of, cannot be considered a "custom gun", but I guess that's semantics.

I believe you're correct on the hand fitting––the Pro having more.  I believe also, that the Pro has most if not all of the internal parts (hammer, sear, disconnector, etc) made from forged bar stock, rather than the dreaded MIM––a pseudo casting technique.  I'm not mimophobic, so that's not an issue for me.  The Pro has genuine Novak sights, while the TRP has a clone.  The Pro has "Black T" finish, while the TRP has the SA house Armory Kote.  The fit and finish of both are comparable, but the Pro does win by a nose.

The TRP has Springfield's Integral Locking System (ILS) while the Pro does not.  The Pro has a full-sized (0.090" dia) titanium firing pin while the TRP has the wuzzy small diameter (0.070" approx) titanium pin.  Both pistols can be sold in California.

The Pro was tested to the FBI's procurement specification which required it to be subjected to all kinds of harsh environment and still perform.  To my knowledge, the TRP has not.  The Pro has a higher (smaller group size) accuracy requirement than the TRP, but the difference isn't that much.

They're both fine pistols.  Both were good purchases, and I would do it again.
Link Posted: 6/23/2009 2:33:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/23/2009 3:06:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Copied from1911 forums:

This text from Deb was originally posted in May, 2006.

The TRP is a factory pistol which has been upgraded with a few features to make it look like the full custom Professional model (FBI SWAT pistol).
The Professional is a full custom pistol that begins with a national match frame which has the oversized slide rails cut into the frame in our Geneseo machine shop. It uses all custom parts, including the Springfield Custom tool steel hammer & sear, Nowlin barrel & bushing, S&A mag well, Wilson ambi thumb safety, Novak low mount rear sight, dovetail front sight, match skeletonized trigger, standard guide rod system, and 6 specially tuned Metalform 7 round magazines. These pistols are hand assembled by custom gunsmiths in our Geneseo custom shop, under the supervision of master gunsmith David Williams. The Professional models meet or exceed all specifications of the FBI SWAT contract, including the accuracy requirement of 1.5" or better at 25 yards with Remington Golden Saber ammunition. The civilian pistols and the FBI pistols are built at the same time, with the gunsmiths never knowing whether a civilian or FBI agent will be using the pistol. These pistols are built approx. every 45 days, with the FBI order being filled first and civilian orders getting all of the remaining from the production run. These pistols do not have front cocking serrations or full length guide rods because the FBI chose not to have these features on their pistols. (Front cocking serrations catch on clothing and full length guide rods require additional tools for disassembly.) These pistols are finished with the Black T finish done by Walter Birdsong in MS.

The TRP pistol is a factory pistol which has been upgraded with more hand fitting than a standard factory pistol, as well as a 2 piece mag well, night sights, and better tuning internally. It has a quoted accuracy of 2.5" or better at 25 yards with match ammunition. It has the front cocking serrations and full length guide rod, just like the other factory "loaded" models. These pistols are finished with Springfield's Armory Kote finish, which is a painted on, baked on finish similar to the Black T finish.

Deb, Custom Shop Coordinator
Springfield Inc.
420 West Main St.
Geneseo, IL 61254
(800) 680-6866
[email protected]

Custom I believe it is. A run of 5,000 total for how many years what five years or so? Wow thats almost as much as some wilson pistols.
Link Posted: 6/23/2009 3:41:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Delete:  double post

Link Posted: 6/23/2009 3:59:57 PM EDT
[#5]
The TRP is a great pistol, I have one, but a Pro it aint.
Link Posted: 6/23/2009 4:07:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The Pro is a  Custom built 1911 and hand fitted to meet the requirements of a Federal Contract.

The TRP is a production version (poor mans copy).

Quoted:
The TRP is a great pistol, I have one, but a Pro it aint.

Both of these.

I like the TRP and have enjoyed mine. I am sending it back to Springfield Custom for a little polishing and a new ramped Bull Barrel. I consider the TRP a happy medium so to speak.
Link Posted: 6/23/2009 4:11:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm saving pennies like crazy for a TRP.

All I have right now is 2 Loaded's; one is older and bought off the EE, the other was bought new and is at Miller Custom right now getting some tweaks.

Maybe if I get the TRP, I'll start saving for a Pro....maybe
Link Posted: 6/23/2009 5:26:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Man how I want another one . Tis the best money I spent on a pistol.
Link Posted: 6/24/2009 12:05:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all the info guys......I think I will continue saving for the Pro!

Travis
Link Posted: 6/25/2009 12:48:12 PM EDT
[#10]
This past month, 2 very nice low round Pros have sold on Cal Guns for $1500 or less.
here's one...

Are there really 5000 Pro's out there ?
AFAIK, the FBI contract is for 5000, but as of yet they've only made around 3700 total. And thats since '96
Link Posted: 6/25/2009 1:18:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Between the two go for the PRO.

Be prepared to see more of the lower priced used ones out there, The ecconomy is not getting better like the news media would like all of us to think.
Link Posted: 6/25/2009 4:49:23 PM EDT
[#12]
I put a TRP on lay-a-way. Sould have it in 2 months. Sweet gun.
Link Posted: 6/27/2009 1:17:19 PM EDT
[#13]
You might also consider the Custom Carry, another custom shop gun that you can have made to your specifications.  On mine I went with 25 LPI FS checkering vs. the 20 on the Pro.  I also opted for the Heinie Ledge single dot tritium rear sight vs. the Novak rear sight.  It has the Black-T finish, but no mag well.  The only "problem" is the waiting time to get one built.  Deb can tell you better.  I think that it takes 10 to 12 months, but you can have it, your way!

Good shooting!
Link Posted: 6/28/2009 8:45:21 AM EDT
[#14]
I have 2 TRP's... could've got one professional for the same price... I'm happier with my two TRP's.
Link Posted: 6/28/2009 10:56:30 AM EDT
[#15]
The TRP is a very nice pistol.  Never handled a Pro.  Hell, I really don't want to.  It would set me back some $ and I don't want to look down at the TRP.
Link Posted: 6/28/2009 4:56:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have 2 TRP's... could've got one professional for the same price... I'm happier with my two TRP's.

I'm happier with my 2 Pros.
Link Posted: 6/29/2009 2:44:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm happier with my 2 Pros.

I'll bet you are.  Dick.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top