Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 6/19/2010 1:06:43 PM EDT
[#1]
This is my Rock island armory 1911 A1 CS
Mods wilson speed chute, tulip wood grips, wilson extended safety, trigger job, peened the rails and hand fit and lapped.  Shoots pretty good
Next plans are to put night sights on dove tailed in and do some work on the slide finish.
Before:

After:

Link Posted: 8/5/2010 9:44:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Old18C] [#2]

Five years in the making with help from friends, started as extra parts given to me by someone I worked with all that is left is to take it to a shop and have the barrel cut (Done).
Caspian .38 Super Commander Titanium receiver for Clark/Para Cut, Caspian Stainless parts Kit .38 Super, Caspian Slide Commander Model .38 Super, Clark 100 Series 4140 Chrome Moly 6in 1911 Match Grade Barrel w/over size hood and lugs .38 Super, Clark Custom Sear Spring, Wilson Combat Deluxe Commander Style Hammer, Clark 1911 Drop-in Lightweight Trigger, XS Big Dot Tritium Adjustable sights, and Robar RoGuard finish on Titanium.

Link Posted: 10/4/2010 9:57:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Essex .38 Super (started out with a Colt slide on an Essex frame)

Before:

Work that I completed:

Ramp cut in frame and fit Clark ramped barrel & bushing
Cut 6" barrel down to 5" and crown
High cut and checker frontstrap at 30 lines per inch
Magwell bevel
Fit Brown beavertail
Slide: recut stirrup cuts with ball endmill, slide edge bevel, scallop front of ejection port to allow loaded round ejection
Install new Wilson hammer and Nighthawk sear, set to 4 pound trigger pull
Face bushing off on lathe
Break all sharp edges
Abrasive blast with 100 grit al-ox and finish in Norrell's semi-gloss black moly resin

Link Posted: 10/18/2010 12:48:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 12:25:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EdHaney1] [#5]
I built this last year. It's a Rock Island Armory Slide on a Caspian Frame. Internals are a mix of Wilson, SARCO, Swenson, Chip McCormick, STI and EGW parts. I've changed out the mainspring housing to a flat version since I took this pic. (Same gun as on page 4 just upgraded)

Link Posted: 1/6/2011 2:25:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Originally Posted By effinNewGuy:

Still "in the white" for now.  I have finally finished fitting the beavertail, sear, disconnector, hammer, ejector, extractor, magazine release, trigger, slide stop and thumb safety; all fit by hand with the proper tools (which in itself was expensive and TIME consuming). The barrel is one complicated fitting and too much for my limited skills (as it were).  I had a gunsmith do that for me.  It passed all function tests and ejected  live rounds and empty shells.  The only magazines it won't accept are the CMC 10 rounders and my one MecGar (because of that magwell).

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l175/effinNewGuy/longslide%20pics/IMG_0146.jpg

Nope haven't fired it yet.  That will be this weekend.  After that, a complete disassembly and more polishing on the rounded areas.  I am doing this the reverse of what most blued guns are (the flats will be less shiny than the rounded areas).  Why?  Just to be different..

Comments are welcome (as long as they are nice ones).  

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l175/effinNewGuy/IMG_0003.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l175/effinNewGuy/IMG_0137-1.jpg

ETA:

Oh yeah, and that front sight?  That's going the way of Davey Jones' locker.  I don't like it.  I'll probably put a Novak tritium on it or just a plain front sight from Heirloom Precision so I can fit it.
Update:

New fitted front sight and new grips.  Getting better with the polishing and probably will be hot blued this summer!

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l175/effinNewGuy/IMG_0027.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l175/effinNewGuy/IMG_0030.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l175/effinNewGuy/IMG_0031.jpg

Hot Blued !!

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l175/effinNewGuy/longslidebluedoutside005.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l175/effinNewGuy/IMG_0013.jpg

That is sharp! Those grips are beautiful and really set the pistol off nicely.

Link Posted: 1/11/2011 4:52:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Otter-pop] [#7]
Edit, have a nice day.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 10:54:44 AM EDT
[#8]

Hey Ken,
What slide did you use on this fantastic looking build?
thanks
Link Posted: 2/22/2011 5:39:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 2:53:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Saiga47] [#10]
Very Nice Guns. I know this thread is kinda old, I hope it's okay if I share. Here is a build that I've been working on for the past three years:

It started off as an Olympic arms Enforcer frame. I didn't know when I ordered it, but several aspects of the frame are not to industry standard specs. It has government length rails and the grip is about a quarter inch longer than an officer's model.

I started off by fitting the grip safety. It came from Oly as well and is a non-standard compound radius. I had to fit it using nothing but a sharpie and a bastard file. This was only the second grip safety I have fit and I think it came out okay.

Link Posted: 4/2/2014 2:57:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Next I started on the MSH. Sorry I don't have before pics of this part.

Link Posted: 4/2/2014 3:01:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Next I started some work on the frame. The frame came with some checkering cast on the front strap. I didn't like it so I decided to take it off.

I don't think that is too bad for free hand filing.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 3:04:24 PM EDT
[#13]
As I said before, the grip spacing was non-standard so I asked Spresser Knifeworks to make me a set of thin G10 grips. I wanted to use a thumbguard so I had to relieve the left side. Always take precautions when working with G10!!!

Link Posted: 4/2/2014 3:14:35 PM EDT
[#14]
After a roughly six month wait I finally got my barrel in from Schuemann!

That same day I shipped the barrel to Caspian so they could get started on the slide.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 3:19:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Roughly six months later I get my slide in!!!

It got sent to EGW that day for a reverse plug.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 3:21:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Here's the plug. It is made to run a 1/4" guiderod and a flat wire spring.

Link Posted: 4/2/2014 3:28:45 PM EDT
[#17]
I fit a Wilson Low Ride Thumb Safety and then a Harrison Thumb safety. I also went with a Harrison Slide stop and fit it as well. I also fit the barrel. Unfortunately I was soo excited by this point that I didn't stop to take pictures. Here is the gun as it is today:

I still need to cut back the recoil guide rod seat and rails (remember their dimensions are for a government length slide). I also need to cut a dovetail for the front sight in the barrel rib. The external extractor needs to be fit and tuned. Also, the whole frame and slide needs a final finish treatment. I haven't yet decided what I want, but I'm considering glass bead blasting, high polish on the entire gun, or polish on the entire gun and then doing a brushed finish on the flats. Sorry for loading the thread up with pictures. Hope you enjoy them.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 8:09:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 3:58:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By hooks:
I had Chuck Rogers do the front strap and MSH texturing and blending. Unfortunately there was a casting void area that needed to be filled with silver solder. He graciously offered to Cerakote the frame for me to hide the repaired area. The rest is my work.... a rear sight made from A2 Tool Steel, Engraved logo,Dehorning,top of slide serrations and a bead blast. I'm not so sure about the rear sight yet, I don't know if I like the looks of it, I may go back to the original sight and scrap it. Anyway here's the pics. Thanks again Chuck..

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d195/jhooks/100_0322.jpg
View Quote

That's my favorite so far, very nice lookin gun
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 11:49:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By liu6543wasdc:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By liu6543wasdc:
Originally Posted By hooks:
I had Chuck Rogers do the front strap and MSH texturing and blending. Unfortunately there was a casting void area that needed to be filled with silver solder. He graciously offered to Cerakote the frame for me to hide the repaired area. The rest is my work.... a rear sight made from A2 Tool Steel, Engraved logo,Dehorning,top of slide serrations and a bead blast. I'm not so sure about the rear sight yet, I don't know if I like the looks of it, I may go back to the original sight and scrap it. Anyway here's the pics. Thanks again Chuck..

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d195/jhooks/100_0322.jpg

Thanks for the kind words, she shoots great..
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 11:44:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: yakyakyak] [#21]
1911 build

This is my first ar15.com post. This was also my first 1911 build. I started with Palmetto State Armory Frame and slide. The parts were gathered from PSA, Brownells, and Dawson Performance. Special tools included Wilson Combat beavertail jig, reverse drill bit for ejector. All other required tools I already had included multiple file sets, brass punch set, dremmel set, vice.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 10:18:08 AM EDT
[#22]
A little pic help for the poster above.

Link Posted: 1/23/2017 9:48:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Built on my RIA .45 Tactical frame and slide.  Used mostly Wilson Combat and Fusion Firearms parts and Dawson Precision sights.

Slide is coated in a flat black and frame is titanium KG Gunkote

Link Posted: 2/5/2017 7:12:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 9:56:29 PM EDT
[#25]
The little hand full on the bottom is by Cylinder and Slide and is beautifully made and supposed to be as small as a 1911 can get.  On the opposite end of the 1911-building spectrum is the pistol I put together about 20 years ago, with an Essex lightweight frame and a Brazilian army surplus slide.  I ruined a ton of parts and drove my ex-wife wild with the continual assembly and disassembly of the pistol, but it runs.

Link Posted: 3/24/2017 3:14:46 PM EDT
[#26]
I built both of these. The stainless one was an 80%. I did the parkerizing on the other one myself.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 9:41:47 AM EDT
[#27]
This is my first 1911. My wife got me the frame for Christmas, and I really enjoyed the challenge of fitting everything.

PSA frame
Caspian slide
Ed Brown barrel
C&S tactical ignition parts
Fusion k trigger and MSH
WC the rest of the parts

Link Posted: 4/24/2017 1:25:47 PM EDT
[#28]
First one

Second one

Link Posted: 6/2/2017 3:21:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: hakala] [#29]

ACI frame, slide and barrel, rest is mostly Ed Brown, STI and Dawson Precision. Have to admit that my friend put it together, I don't have tools or skills.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 7:44:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Extracheeze] [#30]
WoW!

Link Posted: 7/15/2017 11:42:33 AM EDT
[#31]
After several years of shooting IPSC I ended up with many parts and finally bought an Essex frame and slide to build another 1911. All other parts are Colt. I don't see how to post pictures on theis forum?
Steve
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 9:54:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Caspian carbon frame/slide
(EGW, EB, Wilson, C&S) internals

Beautiful blueing prep and dip done by Phil at Glenrock Blue out of Wyoming (gunbluing.com)

-polished flats 600grit

Link Posted: 12/24/2017 7:27:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tirador223] [#33]

The full-size pistol I assembled from an Essex frame and a Brazilian surplus slide with a used gun show barrel.  This was about 20 years ago, and I drove my ex-wife up the wall by assembling and reassembling this pistol about a thousand times.  The gun actually shoots pretty good, but more important was the education as to how these guns work.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 1:11:57 AM EDT
[#34]
A 6" 2011 in 9mm (STI frame, bald slide, and barrel)

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 2:07:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By ken_mays:
A 6" 2011 in 9mm (STI frame, bald slide, and barrel)

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/9714/lj-2011-tn-535301.JPG
View Quote
That thing looks amazing. As do the rest that photobucket didn’t kill. I needs me a 1911!
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 4:16:41 PM EDT
[#36]
A couple of 1911A1 clones:

Link Posted: 12/8/2018 12:13:34 AM EDT
[#37]
The first of several Phoenix Trinity 2011s that I've done.  This one is 9mm.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 12:17:12 AM EDT
[#38]
The 2nd PT build, also in 9mm.  This was for a distiller friend of mine and the PUNCH85 serial number refers to one of his gin products he was working on.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 12:22:55 AM EDT
[#39]
The 3rd PT, believe it was 9 as well.  The slide was a Brazos.   The finish on these is similar because the guys liked the style of the first one I did.  Cerakote and steel left in the white.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 3:04:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By ken_mays:
The 2nd PT build, also in 9mm.  This was for a distiller friend of mine and the PUNCH85 serial number refers to one of his gin products he was working on.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/9714/image_jpeg-764695.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/9714/image_jpeg-764697.JPG
View Quote
Some people think the same!
Next some DLC coating to complete.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 11:11:06 PM EDT
[#41]
This was my first time using the Brazos Modular Double Stack (MDS) frame to put under a .40 STI top end I already had.  STI frames have risen to a ridiculous cost IMO, and are scarce to boot.

I'm a fan of it.  Less needless fitting required than the STI frames while still turning out a better product IMO.    I've already ordered a second one for my next build.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 3:11:10 PM EDT
[#42]
would anyone care to compare build difficulty of building a 1911 vs an ar?

I have built 3 ar15's.
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 6:32:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pawdog] [#43]
@togadelic

The 1911 requires a lot more handfitting, filing, sanding on most small parts, including the grip safety, thumb safety, etc, and fine tuning the extractor, at least in my case.

I, helped greatly by my two gun savvy adult sons, just finished mine Thanksgiving evening.  I still haven't fired it yet, but it came out better than I expected.  PSA  SS frame, a no name Sarco slide, and varied Wilson Combat, Kimber and Israeli made parts.

Link Posted: 12/1/2019 7:07:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Pawdog:
@togadelic

The 1911 requires a lot more handfitting, filing, sanding on most small parts, including the grip safety, thumb safety, etc, and fine tuning the extractor, at least in my case.

I, helped greatly by my two gun savvy adult sons, just finished mine Thanksgiving evening.  I still haven't fired it yet, but it came out better than I expected.  PSA  SS frame, a no name Sarco slide, and varied Wilson Combat, Kimber and Israeli made parts.

https://i.imgur.com/ipICsBA.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Nl8pm2k.jpg
View Quote
can it be done in a cost effective and reliable manner?
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 9:05:27 PM EDT
[#45]
I didn't keep an exact figure on the costs as I bought parts a few at a time over the past year, and my son's gifted me some parts also, but an estimate would be around $900 - $1,000 total.

Not RIA cheap, but quality parts and it's "one of a kind."  It'll be passed on to my grandson when I'm no longer around.

I've built two AR-15 rifles, and one AR pistol, and the 1911 definitely took more time and patience. Worth it IMO.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 8:11:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Pawdog:
@togadelic

https://i.imgur.com/ipICsBA.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Nl8pm2k.jpg
View Quote
that's a purdy pistol there too sir

well done
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 11:16:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mangyrat] [#47]
My beater/truck gun 1911 from a sarco kit and a psa lower.

The lower rusted up good after a month or so in the safe that is the reason i blued it.
I had no skill at all building a 1911 so i grabbed a parts diagram and read up on common problems building a 1911.
Tools i used were a small file set from harbor freight, green scratch pad, small hammer, flat blade screw driver, motor oil, break cleaner, dawn, plunger staking tool, bottle of bluing, q-tips and a dremel tool for polishing.
price including plunger staking tool and new grips was around $370.

Some times i am a cheap SOB i made my own polishing compound from tooth paste and baking soda

I was shocked it worked so well after i swapped out the recoil spring with a wore out one form a old 1911 before the spring swap the slide was not going all the way back but it worked sort of.

It needs a few hundred more round break in before i trust my work and it, then i will touch up the bluing and clean the rest of the rust up.

Attachment Attached File

when i say the lower was rusted this picture is after i cleaned it up and blued it a little but still need to clean up the inside of the frame more i just coated it in oil to slow the rust while working on it.
I left the lower in my car for a few days with 85% humidity "rained all week" then finger fucked it before putting it in the safe with no oil on it and forgot about it.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 5:41:21 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By togadelic:
would anyone care to compare build difficulty of building a 1911 vs an ar?

I have built 3 ar15's.
View Quote
Totally different. You assemble an AR15. 1911s may require hand fitting of every single part. You may be able to get some cheap parts that just drop in, but in most cases if parts just drop in they to loose. Building a 1911 is like being a clock maker or something. Assembling an AR is more like changing the tire on your car.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 2:59:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 9:45:45 PM EDT
[#50]
nice!
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top