Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2017 1:28:13 PM EDT
A very subjective question.
What would you do for semi-custom/custom commander size 1911?

Seek out an Ed Brown, Wilson or other builder's gun?
Take a gun to a gunsmith and have one customized to your liking?
Is there an off the shelf commercially available model out there that is reliable and pleasing to the eye?
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 3:12:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Attachment Attached File

I'm partial to this older Baer. 4.25".  Built in 98 to last, over 20k thru it with only springs changed.  Still laser accurate and feels like the slide is on bearings.

I'm not liking my newer Baer , a 5", as much.

Nothing wrong with buying a Colt, etc., and dropping a bunch of money getting it just right.  Might take a year, or more.

So many options for built out factory guns, I don't really see the need
To spend $$ building one.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 3:14:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I would look at Dan Wesson too.  They make some first class stuff.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 3:14:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I would look at Dan Wesson too.  They make some first class stuff.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 8:05:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
A very subjective question.
What would you do for semi-custom/custom commander size 1911?

Seek out an Ed Brown, Wilson or other builder's gun?
Take a gun to a gunsmith and have one customized to your liking?
Is there an off the shelf commercially available model out there that is reliable and pleasing to the eye?
View Quote

There's your answer, sir. Understated, superb workmanship, top notch quality, perfect accuracy. LW models available should you prefer those.

Les Baer is a close, close second choice, IMO.

My .o2
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 9:38:05 AM EDT
[#5]
ill second the Les Baer option. However I recently played with a 4.25" Roberts defense and I was very impressed.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 9:31:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Honestly, I'd send a box stock Commander or Champion or whatever make you prefer to a 'smith and have it built to my specs.

I know Baer, Brown and Wilson make great pistols but on a lot of their production designs have features I might not necessarily want.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 12:22:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Get a stock Commander and have it built the way you want, not what everyone else can buy.

Here's my old Commander that I had rebuilt a few years ago, fortunately my gunsmith is 20 minutes away and is great to work with.

Link Posted: 7/9/2017 8:54:19 AM EDT
[#8]
I have two Colt commanders I use for carry.
The one I'm carrying had some work done on it by Nighthawk Custom.

I suggest you look at the new Commanders Colt is making. They come from the factory with some nice features such as Novak sights.
Then you could send it out for acouple of upgrades down the road.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 11:59:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have two Colt commanders I use for carry.
The one I'm carrying had some work done on it by Nighthawk Custom.

I suggest you look at the new Commanders Colt is making. They come from the factory with some nice features such as Novak sights.
Then you could send it out for a couple of upgrades down the road.
View Quote
I have a late 80's Enhanced Lightweight Commander.
It has most of the goodies mentioned in the above post.  Colt even did the undercut on the frame under the triggerguard.  The undercut is a big deal to me.  YMMV.
The current production Combat Commander has that feature.  I molested the Combat Commander and was very impressed.  Doesn't need much out of the box.
I'm retiring my beloved LW Commander from carry duty..  The current Combat Commander is #1 on the list.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 11:39:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Les Baer Custom Carry Commanche, courtesy of Crazy John.

I am not a good shot, and I have a bad way with the trigger that makes it shoot left. It still shot a 5/8 inch group at 25 yards for me.

Link Posted: 7/14/2017 1:09:48 AM EDT
[#11]
I agree with CamW. I recently purchased a Combat Commander and would love to send it off for work. Just not sure who to send it to now. Original plan was SACS but since they gutted the list of services offered but I now have to find someone else. Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 10:08:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I agree with CamW. I recently purchased a Combat Commander and would love to send it off for work. Just not sure who to send it to now. Original plan was SACS but since they gutted the list of services offered but I now have to find someone else. Any recommendations?
View Quote
Check the Gunmith's Guild, Top 100 or some such. Look at the ads in American Handgunner. Call Cylinder & Slide & ask for suggestions. Call Wilson Combat & ask them as well.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 7:04:32 AM EDT
[#13]
I would get a Colt Wiley Clapp CCO and do the following:

Flat bottom firing pin stop, tritium front sight, Ionbond DLC, Harrison medium trigger.

My ideal CCO would be steel framed, 9mm, and series 80, but the Wiley Clapp is pretty good.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 7:11:18 AM EDT
[#14]
I bought a range officer compact and sent it out to get work done. It was already light and a good size for me, and I wanted one in 9mm. had the slide tri topped, night sights added, barrel cut flush, trigger cleaned up, laser grips, all sorts of nice set up done to it.

Great gun but i ended up switching to a full sized all steel baer TRS or a shield. this was just in between too much.

Check out DW, Baer, and Brown. probably someone already making a gun how you'd want it set up.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 8:38:55 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a Les Baer Stinger with an alloy frame that I really like. My son has a Dan Wesson CCO that is also very nice. They make very good guns, The only thing I don't like about it is that the front strap isn't checkered. STI also make some 4" pistols that you might want to look at. I carry a Kimber compact with a 4" barrel that I had some work done to it. You can get a Les Baer, STI or Dan Wesson right now set up pretty much how you want it and you don't have long wait. Wait times can be very long for a good gunsmith.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 3:10:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Commander sized off the shelf 1911 purchased.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top