Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/24/2017 3:16:48 PM EDT
Hey guys,

My grandfather was an Ordnance Officer at Aberdeen Proving Grounds during WWII and needless to say acquired lots of firearms, ammo, and gunsmithing tools. Of the items he had, I put together a 1911 that you can see below. I am trying to gauge the value of the pistol, sentimental feelings aside. What are your opinions? Thanks!

Link Posted: 6/24/2017 3:47:44 PM EDT
[#1]
RayCharles.jpg
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 3:50:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 3:51:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 3:51:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the working link!
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 10:16:03 PM EDT
[#5]
While the trigger would not be correct for a true GI built national match and those grips are hideous if the other side of the frame is marked NM on the trigger guard you have a great prize. If not and simply a put together armored built gun still a decent shooter and momento
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 10:17:01 PM EDT
[#6]
A semi-clone of a Service national match on a 1911 frame - I'd guess $500 - 600 if it shot good.   You would need to find someone who wanted that particular thing.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 4:45:24 PM EDT
[#7]
The fact that you 'put it together' out of various parts makes it very suspicious as far as parts fitting and function/reliability are concerned. Now if you really are a gunsmith or armorer and were just being coy about fitting up this pistol, that's a different story. Generally speaking, many 1911 fanciers love a rebuild or match build based on a M1911 frame - there's just something about it that seems 'right' - but those grips negate all that. Grips that usually would be expected to appear on such a pistol would be pre-war Colt fully-checkered walnut (28 lines between screw holes) or any WWII brown plastic grips. Did you blast and Parkerize the frame and slide? Looks pretty good. The frame had some pitting and had obviously been refinished before judging by the soft edges and 'dishing'. But, as a shooter, it should be great because the slide is one of the fully-hardened ones that are tough as nails.

Just noticed an old Augusta Arsenal 'AA' rebuild mark on the frame so that was definitely one of the refinishes. You would be hard-pressed to get more than $500 for it normally but if you put it on Gunbroker you may be surprised what it could bring - they go nuts sometimes.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 8:54:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
RayCharles.jpg
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 11:25:27 AM EDT
[#10]
I would see how it shoots. Some of these can be pretty accurate. I have owned two true Arsenal national match 1911A1's that are as accurate as any 4K+ custom gun made today even though externally they are not much to look at.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 12:42:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice looking match Ball pistol.  Looks very close to a 1968 National Match.

Probably worth 700-900 considering it has a hard Colt slide, maybe more depending on how well/tight she shoots.  The Hogues and the 3-hole trigger detract some.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 10:30:22 PM EDT
[#12]
That is a 1918 Frame. Slide Stop and Thumb Safety look to be correct for the frame, Mag Catch appears correct, will require closer look. Most likely arsenal parkerized, Nice looking pistol. Excellant Provenence, $1000.00 minimum. I am not a llicensed appraisor of priceless family heirlooms.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 11:23:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The fact that you 'put it together' out of various parts makes it very suspicious as far as parts fitting and function/reliability are concerned. Now if you really are a gunsmith or armorer and were just being coy about fitting up this pistol, that's a different story. Generally speaking, many 1911 fanciers love a rebuild or match build based on a M1911 frame - there's just something about it that seems 'right' - but those grips negate all that. Grips that usually would be expected to appear on such a pistol would be pre-war Colt fully-checkered walnut (28 lines between screw holes) or any WWII brown plastic grips. Did you blast and Parkerize the frame and slide? Looks pretty good. The frame had some pitting and had obviously been refinished before judging by the soft edges and 'dishing'. But, as a shooter, it should be great because the slide is one of the fully-hardened ones that are tough as nails.

Just noticed an old Augusta Arsenal 'AA' rebuild mark on the frame so that was definitely one of the refinishes. You would be hard-pressed to get more than $500 for it normally but if you put it on Gunbroker you may be surprised what it could bring - they go nuts sometimes.
View Quote
Thanks everyone for your opinions and now I have an accurate idea of the value being around 1,000 after replacing the grips and trigger and demonstrating the function/accuracy of the pistol.

It's been over 20 years since I got the parts and put it together but I do remember bringing it to a gunsmith for final assembly and most likely parkerize the frame and slide.

Also, thank you for noting the "AA" marking. I wasn't aware of the meaning.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top