Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2017 7:33:10 AM EDT
Anyone have a Wiley Clapp 1911 Government model? Opinions on what you are getting on this gun? Good bad?
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 9:30:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I have the WC Lightweight Commander, which shares all the same features, other than a steel frame and a government-length slide/barrel. I have been very happy with mine. No failures with factory Colt magazines and CMC Powermag + mags. Slide to frame fit is good for a production model gun, and accuracy has been quite good as well. I'm a big fan of the sight setup and the "tactical oval" grips as Wiley Clapp himself calls them. The checkering and rounding of the MSH on the WC series is contracted out and done via machine by Pete Single, who does some of the best checkering and metalwork out there. To be honest, I don't think there is a better buy for the money when it comes to 1911s.

The only complaint that I had was a little bit of downward overtravel with the thumb safety. It did not affect function or safety at all, it just bugged me. I resolved that by fitting a Harrison retro TS, which is solid with no overtravel. I have several other Colts, and this is the only one that has exhibited that issue. I also put in a Harrison solid trigger, but that was solely out of preference.

I was recently eyeing a WC Government model, but sprang for a pair of Colt Special Combat Rail Guns (one Commander length and one Govt. length, both out of their custom shop), so that (and a new Delta Elite) has pretty much killed my gun budget for the foreseeable future.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 6:15:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got two.  To me, they are the best buy in a Colt.

NM barrel.
Pete Single checkered front strap and MSH.
Series 70.
Novak cut slide.

But I still end up changing a few things...the brass dot front sight doesn't work for my eyes.  Easily swapped out.

The retro thumb safety...has got to go! EGW HD steel TS, trimmed back a bit is fitted.

The WC goofy-grips, bye! VZs work better for me. Need bushings and screws also.

None of those mods are necessary, but are my preferred way of setting up a 1911.  Bone stock, both of mine have been reliable and haven't been picky about magazines.

Get one!
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 6:34:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Few weeks ago i would have said the wiley clapp was my current favorite  offering.

Now that they are going to offer the competition in 70 series it's more to my taste.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 7:08:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't own a Colt WC, but I did put WC clone grips on my 1911, they are awesome.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:10:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Attachment Attached File

Mine is my farm gun. Great and 100% reliable
Got it pretty cheap too. Front strap checkering is great and just added some regular grips
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 11:27:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I would rather have one of the WCs instead of something like the Special Combat Government or whatever the $2000 non checkered guns are called.   I think they're one of the best values in Colt's lineup.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 2:03:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would rather have one of the WCs instead of something like the Special Combat Government or whatever the $2000 non checkered guns are called.   I think they're one of the best values in Colt's lineup.
View Quote
My understanding is that SCGs now come with checkering.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 11:16:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 4:42:52 PM EDT
[#9]
My one and only Colt WC. A good 1911 very accurate gun,
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 9:05:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Does the WC Govt come with a standard GI guide rod?

I'd have to change that trigger.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 11:13:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Yes. Standard GI guide rod.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top