Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2017 7:23:43 PM EDT
I'm looking for a threaded barrel for my SR1911, since I finished my 45cal suppressor. Problem is every decent 1911 threaded barrel I found is like $250+ and that is a bit too much for me. I don't really need a match-grade barrel.

Are there any good options for a 1911 threaded barrel for $150ish? Also, I will be fitting the barrel myself so I would like it to be as close to drop-in as possible.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:59:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Call Clark Customs. They have them. Unsure of the thread pattern. The make comp kits for 45ACP and 460 Rowland. They should be able to get you a threaded barrel and matching bushing for pretty reasonable. price.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 1:51:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Cheap threaded barrel

Warning: You get what you pay for. Barrels run around $200-250 for a reason...

edit - Here's another one
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 3:03:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cheap threaded barrel

View Quote
Yup, if you buy that one you'll likely need to get a die and chase the threads.  I've toyed with that idea several times now...just hard to pull the trigger on a die for only one or maybe two barrels.  If you go this route OP let me know.  

If you read through the reviews people also complain about the fit of the barrel in their gun.  The vast majority of those reviews are posted by people who have no idea what the hell they're doing and expect a 1911 part to be a drop in part.  
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:44:50 PM EDT
[#4]
its not easy to install the link.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:13:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Cheap threaded barrel

View Quote
Those were the two that I had found as well. Those seem like bottom of the barrel options and I didn't want to drop money on one of those just to have to get something else if it didn't work out for some reason. It doesn't seem like there is really anything between those and the $200+ barrels.

I totally get that this is one of the things that I get what I pay for. I don't want to pay for overkill either if I can help it. I don't need match-grade just to plink around with.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:20:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yup, if you buy that one you'll likely need to get a die and chase the threads.  I've toyed with that idea several times now...just hard to pull the trigger on a die for only one or maybe two barrels.  If you go this route OP let me know.  

If you read through the reviews people also complain about the fit of the barrel in their gun.  The vast majority of those reviews are posted by people who have no idea what the hell they're doing and expect a 1911 part to be a drop in part.  
View Quote
That's another reason I was hesitant to pull the trigger on one of those. Having to chase the threads just adds to the cost of the barrel. That money would be better spent on a better quality barrel that didn't require fixing IMO, which is why I was asking if anyone knew of a sort of "goldilocks" barrel.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:29:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
its not easy to install the link.
View Quote
And that was my last concern about those cheap barrels. I've never fitted a 1911 barrel so I don't know what's involved with the link, barrel bushing, locking lugs, etc. Although, it would probably be best to practice on one of those than something more expensive. I figured I would watch a few YouTube videos and just have a go at it like I did my CZ.
The CZ came out great and it was my first barrel fitting project. I do want to learn more about building a 1911 so I figure barrel fitting would be a good place to start.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:28:00 PM EDT
[#8]
You get what you pay for, unless you buy stormlake, then you get half what you pay for .
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 2:32:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Ed brown makes a great threaded barrel spend the extra money get a quality barrel IMO. As in most things you get what you pay for buy cheap get cheap..
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 2:07:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd like one for my 9mm commander
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 4:34:12 PM EDT
[#11]
.578 is 37/64 (and it is not a metric conversion either).

Good luck finding that die.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:31:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
took me 30 seconds after reading your post.

Here you go. $25
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 6:53:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Here you go. $25
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here you go. $25
Yup I'm thinking about getting one and then two of those cheapo threaded barrels.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:46:20 PM EDT
[#14]
My thoughts though, even though the die and barrels are cheap. *anything* that gets a suppressor on it will have a high quality barrel. I'm not destroying my gemtech can on some bubbafucked barrel.

If its just a flashhider or a muz brake I don't care.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 1:02:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My thoughts though, even though the die and barrels are cheap. *anything* that gets a suppressor on it will have a high quality barrel. I'm not destroying my gemtech can on some bubbafucked barrel.

If its just a flashhider or a muz brake I don't care.
View Quote
Yeah that's where I'm at. I'll just be patient and get a good barrel eventually. Not worth the risk to the suppressor.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 3:04:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Here you go. $25
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here you go. $25
Link not working.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 1:12:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Link not working.
View Quote
Amazon link too
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:22:52 PM EDT
[#18]
I bought that "Cheapo" barrel. However the one I received was in the white. Threads were right on spec. Concentricity to the bore was .0003" I also had both tap and dies for .578-28. And yes, the hardest part of the process was installing the link pin. It is short and therefore hard to hang on to and hold straight as you engage the press ram.

Shooting 230RNL cast with lube, group and point of impact are identical to the OEM barrel. Barrels stay clean with only powder traces - no leading.

At some future date I want to get another 1911, this time with the rails. I will buy another for this pistol also.

I just wish it were this cheap and easy to add one for my Sig P220
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:37:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I bought that "Cheapo" barrel. However the one I received was in the white. Threads were right on spec. Concentricity to the bore was .0003" I also had both tap and dies for .578-28. And yes, the hardest part of the process was installing the link pin. It is short and therefore hard to hang on to and hold straight as you engage the press ram.

Shooting 230RNL cast with lube, group and point of impact are identical to the OEM barrel. Barrels stay clean with only powder traces - no leading.

At some future date I want to get another 1911, this time with the rails. I will buy another for this pistol also.

View Quote
Well now I officially hate you for saying that.  I'm going to order two from Midway tonight as well as the parts I need to put a ramped front sight on my SBS.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 3:28:37 PM EDT
[#20]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link not working.
Amazon link too
Low quality die.

Not adjustable.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 3:46:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
You got the Swenson from Midway? Well dang I might just get one then. What fitting did you need to do?
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 4:41:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Low quality die.

Not adjustable.
View Quote
Still $25 and adjustable
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 7:00:12 PM EDT
[#23]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Low quality die.

Not adjustable.
Still $25 and adjustable
Using a die to chase threads to an exact size requires an adjustable die.

You open it up so it does not cut at all and then gradually tighten it till the threads end up at the fit you want.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 3:42:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You got the Swenson from Midway? Well dang I might just get one then. What fitting did you need to do?
View Quote
The Link pin hole was too tight. I had a reamer that opened it up a few thou, but it was still a tight press fit. I should had ordered a larger ream. I often stock reams in .0005" steps for certain things. I could have turned a smaller pin - but that would have added slop to the link. I am not a gunsmith, but I do have 30+ years as a machinist and tool and die maker. I usually wait and order the needed tool because some day I might need it again, and as a tool maker you learn when to be lazy. You want to take your time to do it right the first time because you sure as hell don't want to have to do it over... again.

I had the tap because someone wanted me to modify a booster piston to this thread spec. I made a test ring with that tap and it fit the Swenson barrel with almost perfectly.

I gambled that if the barrel arrived with oversize threads or slightly out of concentric I could make a mandril and turn between centers and recut the threads true. - There was no need.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top