Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/19/2017 9:45:20 PM EDT
My brother's birthing is in the next month or so, and I wanna buy him something decent.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 11:02:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Springfield, but I personally would stretch budget for a CZ 1911 A2
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 11:09:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Fuck Springfield Armory and RRA.  

There's tons of other decent 1911s in that price range or less.

Colt, Ruger, Remington, Sig...
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 11:19:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Sig Traditional TacOps
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 11:36:51 PM EDT
[#4]
ARFcom for some reason despises what I'm about to recommend. But....  Kimber. I really feel you get the best bang for the buck on a factory 1911 with them. And they have many variations available.  I've had Colts, S&W, Ruger, Springfields, Kimbers, Para....  And while some of the other brands I might have had lesser or better versions than stock factory  Kimbers. I still feel this way.

The only 1911 I miss and regret selling is my Colt Combat Commander though.

edit:  Unless you buy the top end Springfields, I think they suck.  ARFcom loves CZ for some reason, I've personally had nothing but bad experiences with them myself and wouldn't ever recommend one. Though, the CZ's weren't 1911's that I've had experience with.

Les Bear, makes a great 1911 if you want to pay 2x what its worth. Wilson Combat is way over rated in my mind as well for the cost.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 1:17:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Dan wesson Heritage or 1911a2. There is a reason everyone loves CZs Dan Wesson line of 1911s because they are excellent guns.. KImber doesn't make a gun worth $1000 also. Find it amusing the post before me thinks kimber is a Value but les Baer is twice what it's worth.. Flip that around and you have the truth. KImbers generally are 2x what they are worth les Baer makes a hell of a gun..
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 1:28:25 AM EDT
[#6]
S&W e series
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 1:32:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Used TRP. Fuck Springfield, but they already made their money once. Find one on the cheap.

I'm going to get flamed for saying that.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 1:52:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Springfield Range Officer with Harrison Design sights.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 12:04:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Loaded
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 3:52:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Colt Wiley Clapp series. 25 LPI checkering, real Novak sights (unlike Springfield, which use unlicensed knock-offs), brass bead front sight, NM barrel and beveled magwell. All for about $1,100.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 4:02:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm going to go with a Colt Combat Elite as a suggestion

Colt Combat Elite
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 4:48:04 PM EDT
[#12]
STI Trojan
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 6:00:34 PM EDT
[#13]
There's a glut on the 1911 market right now, not too dissimilar to the current post-election glut on all things AR.

For $1K, you should be able to find a nice, new Colt gommit model for your bro, ... or maybe a Sig TacOps, which are nice too, but it depends on whether he wants the cool-guy "Operator-as-Fuck" rail on it.

If not, just get him a basic blue Colt.  That's the one with the Pony on it.

Fuck S.A.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 7:53:15 PM EDT
[#14]
At the gun show today in Lewisville TX, there were 1911 and other pistols and ar's that were priced far above and below what you would usually see. Strangest thing. Walked out with a new Spyderco.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 1:35:35 AM EDT
[#15]
I saw a  NIB Colt Gold Cup National Match Series 70 on gunsamerica for 1099 a few days ago.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 1:37:52 AM EDT
[#16]
NORINCO
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 1:39:05 AM EDT
[#17]
I'd go with a Sig
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 7:25:52 PM EDT
[#18]
You can't go wrong with a Sig or an sti Trojan.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 10:57:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I saw a  NIB Colt Gold Cup National Match Series 70 on gunsamerica for 1099 a few days ago.
View Quote
Phoenix LEO office auction site had one being bid at $550 last week.  it's probably gone now, but someone's getting it for a steal
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 11:31:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Wow! I wish I had seen that.,.,that kinda stuff never happens to me.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:06:20 AM EDT
[#21]
For shooting, you may find a used Dan Wesson for under 1K. For looks Colt is still making the series 70, I just got one for a little over 900 and it's gorgeous.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:47:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Used TRP. Fuck Springfield, but they already made their money once. Find one on the cheap.

I'm going to get flamed for saying that.
View Quote
No flaming...

Good idea. No issue buying a used one. They making no money in that.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 2:33:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:Wilson Combat is way over rated in my mind as well for the cost.
View Quote
Curious what problems you had with your Wilson that leads you to believe they're way over rated.

To answer the OP's question, I would buy a Colt if I were spending <$1000 on a 1911.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:48:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Though some will tell you they're not true 1911's, I went with Sig. They make a damn nice 1911 at roughly that price point, they offer a lot of different models in their lineup, and they all have features that aren't necessarily common at that price point. Considering all their features, they hit above their weight. I have an RCS and Emperor Scorpion, and both are absolutely great. I'm considering picking up one or two more, and just letting something in the Sig satisfy all my 1911 wants.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:37:21 PM EDT
[#25]
SIG or S&W will  get you the most at that price point.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 1:29:49 AM EDT
[#26]
If you could expand budget by about 200 bucks.

Dan wesson. Top notch 1911s...when a high up at kimber tells you to get a dw...I tend to listen. They did not disappoint

Used Sa trp. Good sa. Too bad sa is a shit ty company

SW e series. If you don't mind external extractor, gtg.

Not too high on my recommendation list.
Sig 1911s. Overpriced pos...never seen recent ones work with a shit. Weak extractor is what I see most

Kimber. 2nd worst...so hit or miss. WC is spotty. Sometimes they are smooth and work ok. Seen a lot recent look like ass, feel like sand, and unreliable

Newer colts. All dog shit...old colt, yes. New ones, no. Gritty everything, sharp edges. Seen more not work than do...

All other non sa trp or operatoe....just eh.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 12:47:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
Please stop with this perpetual nonsense.  SA and RRA never removed their opposition to SB1657, and along with other members, were sold out by the IMFA.

Plenty can be found about it, but here's a place to start...

Put Away The Pitchforks: Springfield Armory & Rock River Arms Did NOT Sell Out Gun Owners - Bob Owens (RIP)
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 5:07:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Please stop with this perpetual nonsense.  SA and RRA never removed their opposition to SB1657, and along with other members, were sold out by the IMFA.

Put Away The Pitchforks: Springfield Armory & Rock River Arms Did NOT Sell Out Gun Owners - Bob Owens (RIP)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe that according to the the IMFA's form 990 EZ that was filed with the IRS and which can be  found at the link below, members of the Reese family that owns Springfield Armory and Chuck Larson of Rock River Arms, were the only officers of the IFMA Board of Directors so one might say they "were" the IMFA.

Dennis Reese- President

Tom Reese- Secretary

Chuck Larson- Treasurer

Jay Keller -Executive Director ( an employee )

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/IFMA-Form-990-2013.pdf

And IIRC, I believe that they were the only political donors to that organization as well.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 6:04:04 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm going with Colt.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 7:00:19 AM EDT
[#30]
I have a Springfield Lightweight Operator, had the barrel and bushing hand fit and a trigger job done.

Shoots as good as anything out there now, it was good before but its a real tack driver now, the balance in my hand is perfect with the alloy frame.

Total Invested even with the gunsmith job was right at $1100, it doesnt have a big name like Wilson Combat or Nighthawk stamped on it, but after shooting it side by side vs my dads Wilson, Ill save 2k and take what I have.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 8:49:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
STI Trojan
View Quote
This. Or a Sig.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 11:03:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I believe that according to the the IMFA's form 990 EZ that was filed with the IRS and which can be  found at the link below, members of the Reese family that owns Springfield Armory and Chuck Larson of Rock River Arms, were the only officers of the IFMA Board of Directors so one might say they "were" the IMFA.

Dennis Reese- President

Tom Reese- Secretary

Chuck Larson- Treasurer

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/IFMA-Form-990-2013.pdf

And IIRC, I believe that they were the only political donors to that organization as well.
View Quote
Was the smartass use of an emoji necessary to your point? <--(Rhetorical)

I take any information from TTAG with a grain of salt, at best.  In this case, a 2013 document.   Thanks for the link though.  Hopefully you've disposed of all your Springfield and RRA products, if you had any, lest you be party to their selling out.   I've already made my recommendation to the OP, I'll not drift the thread any further.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 11:29:25 AM EDT
[#33]
If it isn`t a Colt, It`s a copy!
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 7:57:44 AM EDT
[#34]
What style of 1911 does he like?

Fsc, fcs, tactical, traditional, BBQ?

That will better help

My vote is a clapp Colt (can always find them for $1000 or less) and is pretty mildly modded

Or spend a little more for DW
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 10:41:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I take any information from TTAG with a grain of salt, at best.  In this case, a 2013 document.   Thanks for the link though.  Hopefully you've disposed of all your Springfield and RRA products, if you had any, lest you be party to their selling out.   I've already made my recommendation to the OP, I'll not drift the thread any further.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dennis Reese- President

Tom Reese- Secretary

Chuck Larson- Treasurer

But you already have drifted this thread,  so if you have any reputable source of information to substantiate your assertions please provide them because what you've submitted so authoritatively  in the defense of Rock River Arms and Springfield Armory  is a joke.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 12:12:50 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Curious what problems you had with your Wilson that leads you to believe they're way over rated.

To answer the OP's question, I would buy a Colt if I were spending <$1000 on a 1911.
View Quote
I've only owned 1,  which I purchased new.  I have nothing bad to say about it, it worked, trigger was good, it was nice! However, None of those things I just praised it for were night and day difference between a Colt, Kimber, Smith, or even Ruger for accuracy, fit and Balance.  (of which I owned all of)Trigger on the Wilson was better than some, but I didn't shoot it any better than a Colt or Kimber Factory trigger. Wilsons are nice, I wont lie, but not worth twice the price of a normal factory top end model.

My personal statement stands.  Wilson and Les Baer are overpriced for what you get in the end buying new from them.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 8:51:53 AM EDT
[#37]
My vote is for a Colt as well, my brother and I both have purchased new Colt's in the past few years and they're both superb! I want another one right now!
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 9:33:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Springfield Range Officer series or possibly a Colt.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 9:35:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Dan Wesson Heritage, boom thread, done, ha
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 9:38:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Dan Wesson, Colt, S&W
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 1:00:50 PM EDT
[#41]
If you want to improve your Kimber experience find a low mileage used first generation gun. I have had 3 and all were 100% solid pistols . That said STI and CZ are where I would send you next
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 1:04:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Gold cup
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 1:10:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Colt, Ruger, or S&W E-series. For the $1000 mark or a bit less you get a lot of gun for the money. Spend what's left on a decent holster, ammo, and a half dozen Wilson Combat mags.

http://www.colt.com/Catalog/Pistols/Combat-Elite
I'm a sucker for 2-tone pistols, this baby is all steel and MSRP is $1100 with a National Match barrel.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 6:21:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 6:22:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 7:47:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Let's not turn every 1911 thread into another SA/RIA thread.
View Quote
RRA not RIA
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 11:25:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
What about the Colt the Marines adopted for awhile?
View Quote
They're roughly 50% more than OP wants to spend.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 11:36:35 AM EDT
[#48]
I've owned a lot of 1911's in that price range including:

SA RA
SA TRP x 2
STI Trojan
STI Spartan
DW Heritage
Double star
Sig 1911
Ruger

Probably more I can't think of.

The DW Heritage is the best of the bunch and it isn't even close. The only other one I would consider in that price range is the STI Trojan.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 4:45:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 8:51:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Reading this thread, I've stumbled upon the following deal :

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/71978

Question:  Are all 1911's able to be made ambidextrous ?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top