Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/11/2017 11:17:44 AM EDT
A few years ago, I caught the 1911 bug and decided to have one built.  After finding a smith, sending him my ideas and Caspian slide/frame set, I finally got the pistol back and was elated... for a moment.

Unfortunately, two issues arose:

1) The barrel (a cut down and threaded 6-inch) was threaded in 0.575" x 40 and not 0.578 x 28.  When it was brought to his attention, the smith refused to fix this issue.  
2) After <500 rounds, the front sight worked its way out.  Color me unimpressed.

So the pistol has been on the shelf collecting dust.  Now that I have cans that will be getting out of jail soon, I have been trying to get hosts up to spec.  A sightless 1911 threaded for compensators simply doesn't sound like a winning ticket for that task.

Now, I'm a complete novice when it comes to 1911s and smithing in general, so I thought I'd pop in here to seek some advice:

As far as solving Problem #1, a new aftermarket threaded barrel would be satisfactory correct? If so, what manufacturer is recommended.  If not, is getting a barrel cut and threaded the best option?

As far as solving Problem #2 (and having the corrective work performed for #1 as well), where would be a recommended place to go/send the pistol/slide to have the sight properly reinstalled?

Any pointers on barrel manufacturer and smith for the corrective surgery are greatly appreciated.  Feels like I'm covering up a bad tattoo from spring break or something.

Thanks all!

Spenny
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 11:33:42 AM EDT
[#1]
And ed brown threaded barrel with suit you well. I would send it to Evolution armory personally he will set you up.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 7:58:18 AM EDT
[#2]
storm lake sells drop ins.

you can fix the front sight your self  with a vise a hammer and a punch.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 2:32:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I've had excellent luck with Storm Lake drop in barrels.... if money is no object then Ed Brown or BarSto, and I've used them as well...with no better results than Storm Lake.  Don't know if Brown or BarSto make threaded barrels or not.

As for the front sight, I've "slightly peened" the front and back edge of the slot with good luck.  If cosmetics are not a particular concern then a center punch on the front and back edge of the slot with the sight installed will work as well.  I've also had good luck with Devcon and JB Weld holding front sights in place.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 7:02:19 PM EDT
[#4]
+1 on Evolution Armory. About all of the major barrel makers are GTG, just depends on availability.  Have David pin the front sight while he has it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 9:51:12 AM EDT
[#5]
To save money try a storm lake drop in. I installed and shot one yesterday. Worked great!
 Front sight is very easy. If you still have the one that fell off just just try and put it back in see how it fits. Should go in right to left.  If it has a hole for a rolls pin then put in a new one. If it's a press fit then try some green expanding loctite I've had good luck with that stuff. It sets in a few min and can be taken back off if you change the sight at a later date.   My competition gun however is press fight on with red locktite just so there is no way it's coming off during a match.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:27:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all the input guys.  I sent an email to Evolution last week, hopefully they'll take a look and see if they're interested in taking the work.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:02:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Bar Sto Precision makes threaded barrels and can also fix your front sight. Great people to do business with.

https://www.barsto.com

Threaded barrel info:

https://www.barsto.com/T&P.cfm
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top