Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/6/2017 5:48:10 AM EDT

I bought a brand new CZ SP01 yesterday and while showing it off to some local guys I got offered a lightly used E-series S&W 1911 with rail. I'm not the biggest 1911 fan but I also regretted the CZ the minute I walked out with it lol.

It's a straight trade and I am really liking the way it looks. I'll be able to field strip it first but it's unlikely I'll get to shoot it first.

So what is everyone opinion on these guns?
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 8:48:22 AM EDT
[#1]
In have a 1911 PD and my only complaint would be the external extractor.

Works great, just think it's another solution to a problem that didn't exist.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 10:36:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Research has shown me that the only real complaint people have is with the external extractor. This complaint is founded almost entirely on a purist view as it seems Smith got it to work. The only real issue I have is that Smith will not AFAIK sell the extractor as a part so you have to send your pistol to them for replacement.

That being said I have never handled one outside of the shop. I love the lines of the e series 1911s. Some hate the look. I would own one but instead got a deal on a Sig TacOps I couldn't turn down.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 7:08:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Purist don't like them but they are great pistols IMO.
I've got 1500 rounds through this one with no issues at all.  

Link Posted: 4/6/2017 8:36:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 11:17:49 PM EDT
[#5]
All I hear is good.  Not something I would buy but if it interests you, go for it.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 9:35:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All I hear is good.  Not something I would buy but if it interests you, go for it.
View Quote
Think it is worth $629?
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 9:37:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Think it is worth $629?
View Quote
Absolutely
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 9:40:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I know about 7 people who own the E-Series with the rail.  It is probably the most reliable 1911 for the money.  I hate the looks.  I adore the extractor.  Factory mags suck.  We run ours on CMC power mags.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 9:43:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Think it is worth $629?
View Quote
Hell yeah
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 1:32:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Think it is worth $629?
View Quote
Without a doubt. I have an older SW1911 before they made the e series and it's really nice. The fish scales on the e series never grew on me.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 6:17:16 PM EDT
[#11]
You got a smoking deal on that.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 6:21:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I have the scandium carry.  I would absolutely trade your CZ.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 8:01:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Think it is worth $629?
View Quote
If you haven't bought it by now....

Put it this way, from all I've read about the E-series guns, the only quibble I have is basically a cosmetic one: It doesn't look "proper" 1911-style with its M&P-like slide serrations/grasping cuts and the external extractor.
But at that price, my card would practically melt from aerodynamic heating, I'd have it out so fast.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 2:47:18 PM EDT
[#14]
They're very nicely made, reliable, and smooth running, 1911s that provide good accuracy.

Link Posted: 4/11/2017 3:03:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Think it is worth $629?
View Quote
That's half price - buy it instantly.  The shop owner is making a mistake, and is pricing it as the non-rail version.  The rail is a $400 upgrade (believe it or not).
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 3:03:24 PM EDT
[#16]
I ran an E-series pistol in IPDA and USPSA for 2+ years and they are fantastic pistols! Hilton Yam at 10-8 Performance did a series of blog posts on the E-series when they debuted and he suggested a few tweaks (springs, etc) but overall the guns are very well made, super reliable and deadly accurate.... I ended up replacing it with a Les Baer and I'm not sure I really gained anything in the switch.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top