Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2017 6:55:11 PM EDT
I've always wanted a Wilson but after handling several nighthawks and one Wilson I walked away surprised at how much better the Nighthawks felt.  There was only one Wilson to compare to in the store.  Given my very small sample size i am still questioning which I would prefer. In my subjective opinion, the Nighthawks had a better trigger, better fit and overall seemed to have a higher level of craftsmanship.  Those that have owned and shot both what is your opinion?  
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:05:12 PM EDT
[#1]
The store I work at has a few Nighthawk 1911s in. We got a Nighthawk high power in and I fell in love. Maybe I haven't held a NH 1911 that I felt the same way about. I generally like basic/simple guns and their 1911s all seem to be just a little to different. The high-power on the other hand is artwork.

Wilsons are good too but I don't have a lot of experience with them.

I think you should just find one you can't let go of.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:43:57 PM EDT
[#2]
6 one way, half dozen the other.

I own a Wilson (along with a Baer and custom build on a Colt Commander)

My next 1911 will be a Nighthawk. I don't consider one "better" than the other, just different build philosophies.

Pick which one offers the options and style you like best. You can't go wrong with either.

I'm really fond of either the Shadowhawk or the Warhawk personally.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:40:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Have them build you a '10-8' NHC.

It's no longer licensed, won't have the markings, but they can build you a gun just like it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:57:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Nighthawk IMO over a Wilson. I would also look at GI but I like Nighthawk better then GI as well.. I have owned and own NH WC EB GI LB DW SA. I think the Nh are the best of any of them and their customer service is much better then any of the others..
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 1:33:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Guncrafter.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 6:20:26 AM EDT
[#6]
I had all sorts of customer service issues with Wilson. 5 calls just to get a recoil spring.
They simply have too many people in customer service. I sold the gun.
Nighthawk has been nothing but top notch guns or service.
Another thing you might want to consider is Springfield Armory Custom Shop.
Their guns are starting to hit the market without the 2 year wait.
I recently bought a Railed Professional and after collecting, smithing , and shooting 1911's for 30 years, I will say it's possibly the BEST 1911 I have ever owned.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 7:14:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Above is the first complaint about Wilson that I can remember.  Would not have been the first I've read about Nighthawk.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:18:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Here are some Wilson complaints that I have personally had.. Pre mature slide lock back on ULCC sent it back they didn't fix it. I ended up fixing  it myself by filing a little bit off the slide stop where the nose of the bullets were pushing the slide stop up engaging it. Ball cuts on every Wilson I have owned dont line up with dust cover WC won't fix them. Bought a NH classic ball cuts didn't line up guess what NH fixed it. Wilson armortuff isn't that great either Nitride from GI or NH is a far tougher finish. Wilsons CS isn't what it once was these days either they used to be best in business NH Has now taken that title.. Sorry but it's the truth. Also my friend had WC do custom work on his CQB and had to ship it back 3 times to get it done correctly. First time the over cut the ball cuts past the frame and returned it to him said they don't garranty they line up on a customer supplied gun which was a Wilson mind you.. Then they replaced the slide and barrel after 10 phone calls. Sent it back to him and didn't flush cut the barrel as ordered so he had to send it back again. At which point he got the gun back and the barrel was recessed farther then the barrel bushing which he had JOJOs a local shop to us chamfer the bushings to make it took presentable because he was totally fed up. Needless to say neither of us will be buying anymore Wilsons..
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 3:28:40 PM EDT
[#9]

Nighthawk my favorite 1911 manufacturer
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 5:55:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I am a Nighthawk fan.  Several friends own them and I have had a chance to shoot them.  Personally, I can't afford one.  I recently bought a Springfield Armory TRP and I was in love with it right up until I shot my friends Nighthawk and realized how much smoother a 1911 can be.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 8:28:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I can't speak to the Wilson Combat pistols as I have never owned or handled one. I started out 30 years ago with Colt 1911 pistols (Combat Commanders and Govt. model) and moved up to Kimbers (which were better pistols for the same prices as Colts), and then moved up to Dan Wesson 1911 pistols. My best 1911 purchase was my Night Hawk Custom Recon Enforcer 10mm. It's my edc pistol. This is the only 1911 that I have ever owned that didn't require a break in period. It handles both full power Underwood Ammo 10mm rounds as well as the cheesy, weak 10mm rounds from Federal and other manufacturers (like shooting .40 S&W rounds) without a hiccup. The NHC is the smoothest shooting, most accurate, and reliable 1911 pistol I've ever owned or shot.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 7:19:06 AM EDT
[#12]
I have an older NH GRP, I've had it several years now. Ordered it brand new with normal options. It's the recon version that included a X300. Could swear I only paid like $2500, but when I look now it seems like they are all above $3000. Expensive haha

But mine has been great, I cant say much about CS because I've never needed it. It's given me two malfunctions in all the years I've owned it. Two FTFs on the same outing, and up till that point I had never taken it apart to clean it. Hasn't given me any trouble after a cleaning. Feels great and is very accurate.

I remember all the horror storys about their quality control several years ago but I have been very happy with mine.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 7:56:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Find a good 1911 gunsmith and have one built exactly like you want it.

or learn to fit barrels, hand checker, and do trigger jobs.

Link Posted: 3/31/2017 10:04:53 PM EDT
[#14]
OP, is an Ed Brown completely off the table for you? I own one of theirs along with a couple of Les Baer's. While I love the Baer's, I admit the Ed Brown has a greatly understated value and quality to it.

While there's no doubt the Nighthawk's are finely made guns, I think they're a bit overpriced, IMO. Knock off $500-600 & they would be about where they should be. But WTF, they never asked my opinion..........    
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 4:17:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP, is an Ed Brown completely off the table for you? I own one of theirs along with a couple of Les Baer's. While I love the Baer's, I admit the Ed Brown has a greatly understated value and quality to it.

While there's no doubt the Nighthawk's are finely made guns, I think they're a bit overpriced, IMO. Knock off $500-600 & they would be about where they should be. But WTF, they never asked my opinion..........    
View Quote
No, I haven't looked much at Ed Brown but will do some research and hopefully find a few to handle.  I currently have 3 Dan Wessons and a Baer TRS.  I love all of them and am just looking to step up a notch to that next level of craftsmanship.  

None of my current 1911s have a rail so that may be another consideration.  The Nighthawk Recon is looking really good.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 8:14:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Since the topic has kinda went off of those two...

Depending on how handy you are, you could take the Bob Marvel class like I did and end up with a pretty nice gun

Joe Chambers worked under Bob Marvel and from what I've heard, he'd be the one I'd go to. Deep River Customs, whom Bob is working with on the class has some nice stuff too. Needless to say, I was impressed with Bob's logic on quite a few things. Nighthawk took some lessons from him also, but for what they cost I'm disappointed to see some areas unfinished (behind the firing pin retainer for instance.)
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 8:31:34 PM EDT
[#17]
I took ownership of my first wilson about a month ago.  I think it is a fantastic piece.  Every contact that I have had with them has been very professional and first rate.  I don't believe that I would ever send a gun back for modifications unless I needed to have a slide milled because of a dovetail cut.  As to the difference in customer service between WC and NH, I think that any response may vary based on timing and how busy they are.  People are only human and make mistakes.  I have heard complaints about both and have also heard complaints about DW.  It is to some degree the luck of the draw.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 7:41:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Nighthawk all the way!
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 7:52:43 PM EDT
[#19]
I personally favor Wilson, just because they've been around much longer, good track record and all of that. Nighthawk is basically an ex-Wilson gunsmith that started his own shop, it's probably just as good though, but they are newer.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 12:01:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Nighthawk has been around since 2003-2004. I would think they have worked out any bugs by now lol.. Wilson used to have an excellent track record but as they get bigger more and more issues have arisen. QC seems to be less and less and CS isn't as good as it was as the dollar becomes more important then the finished product. NH has done just the opposite and CS is the best their is at this point having used both CS I can attest NH is far better and far more attentive to the customers wants and needs.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 2:49:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Recently got a falcon commander and now I want a warhawk compact in the worst way.  Shit, I really need a second job! 
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 8:35:38 PM EDT
[#22]
I had the same thoughts.

I had a chance to finger fuck both at the same time and decided on a pair of Nighthawks. a T4 and a Falcon. I put money down and I'm trying to sell a bunch of other 1911's and stuff to get These rwonguns in my safe.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 8:46:37 PM EDT
[#23]
I've got a Nighthawk T3 hard chrome and a Nighhawk AAC.I really like both.I sold a Talon I had full hard chrome.Wish I had kept it.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 7:16:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Recently got a falcon commander and now I want a warhawk compact in the worst way.  Shit, I really need a second job! 
View Quote
Do it! I carry mine daily
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 9:29:21 PM EDT
[#25]
I have owned Les Baers, Ed Brown, Colts, Nighthawks and currently have 3 Wilsons.

I like the Wilsons the best, all three are Professionals (4"), never an issue with any.

Find what you like, buy it and shoot it all the time.

I would go Nighthawk or Wilson, but my vote would merge to Wilson.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 10:24:34 PM EDT
[#26]
I have 10 Wilsons, no Nighthawks, but one of my Wilson's extractor broke, called Matt in Customer Service, (who is now with Nighthawk), he sent a call tag on a Monday, gun was back that Friday, hard to beat that type of service, that was a few years ago, so cannot comment on their service as of today, but would think it still would be good.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 2:14:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Between the two, I would lean Wilson.  The Nighthawks tend to look dated and goofy (IMO).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top