Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/23/2017 12:15:55 PM EDT
Does anybody make a WWI (1918) style replacement grip safety?

I have a Colt 01918 WWI Repo that frankly wasn't one of their better examples fit and finish wise so its not much of a collector piece but its a great shooter and plan to keep it and use it as such. That said, I would like to get a couple of the little things that bug me about it corrected. One of those things is the grip safety which is poorly fitted and loose.

I don't know but am assuming the current one can't somehow be corrected or tightened up so the only option would be to replace it? Assuming that is true, does anybody make an oversized WWI style GS that that can be properly fitted or is this just something I'll have to learn to deal with?
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:27:26 PM EDT
[#1]
can you ad material to the thickness with a welder and re shape it, but that's a bit of work
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 1:51:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Define loose? If it just rattles a bit, try bending out the leg of the leaf spring that contacts it; it might just need a little more pressure pushing it out. I had a CCO with the same issue, and adjusting the leaf spring fixed it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 6:18:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Define loose? If it just rattles a bit, try bending out the leg of the leaf spring that contacts it; it might just need a little more pressure pushing it out. I had a CCO with the same issue, and adjusting the leaf spring fixed it.
View Quote
Hard to "define" loose but yes it rattles some and has maybe ~1/16" of play (give or take) side to side. Bending the leaf spring might help some but its not going to remove the side to side play.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:00:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 6:53:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Does anybody make a WWI (1918) style replacement grip safety?...
View Quote
I replaced one on an old Colt WWI commemorative (Battle of the Marne) from the 1960s with a correct style from Cylinder and Slide but I couldn't find one listed on their site now.
Midway offers this although the tang (1911A1 style) is actually too long for a 1911 WWI style. You could leave it or have it shortened by a 'smith.
1911A1 Grip Safety
1911 WWI style Grip Safety on Ebay, It's supposedly an original.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 2:49:34 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Not exactly the solution I was looking for might it might do in a pinch?

Quoted:
I replaced one on an old Colt WWI commemorative (Battle of the Marne) from the 1960s with a correct style from Cylinder and Slide but I couldn't find one listed on their site now.
Midway offers this although the tang (1911A1 style) is actually too long for a 1911 WWI style. You could leave it or have it shortened by a 'smith.
1911A1 Grip Safety
1911 WWI style Grip Safety on Ebay, It's supposedly an original.
I thought C&S use to make one but I couldn't find it either? I'm guessing they dropped it because there probably isn't much demand for them? I guess I could call them?

I've seen some originals for sale like the one in the ebay auction but what's the chance of it fitting any better? I could be way off base but I'm assuming I would need something "over-sized" that can be fitted?
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 7:36:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted: Not exactly the solution I was looking for might it might do in a pinch?
I thought C&S use to make one but I couldn't find it either? I'm guessing they dropped it because there probably isn't much demand for them? I guess I could call them?
I've seen some originals for sale like the one in the ebay auction but what's the chance of it fitting any better? I could be way off base but I'm assuming I would need something "over-sized" that can be fitted?
View Quote
The Midway one can be fitted and, as I said, you could cut down the tang (or not) to match the 1911 style. If you don't want to do that, shim it or live with what you have.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:19:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The Midway one can be fitted and, as I said, you could cut down the tang (or not) to match the 1911 style. If you don't want to do that, shim it or live with what you have.
View Quote
OK, Thanks for the info
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top