Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2017 12:27:54 PM EDT
Can anyone suggest a jig for cutting 1911 rails that does not cost an arm and a leg? I am going to buy the Matrix Precision decking and hole jig for $95.00. Only need a rail jig now for my OSI pistol project.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 5:51:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Can anyone suggest a jig for cutting 1911 rails that does not cost an arm and a leg? I am going to buy the Matrix Precision decking and hole jig for $95.00. Only need a rail jig now for my OSI pistol project.
View Quote

Get the matrix jig.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 11:07:43 PM EDT
[#2]
The Matrix rail cutting jig is $250.00 for what will probably be my only 80% 1911. Not cost effective.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 1:08:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Matrix rail cutting jig is $250.00 for what will probably be my only 80% 1911. Not cost effective.
View Quote
Then sell what you have and buy a complete frame, you won't find any of the "cost effective".  The only other 1911 jig that doesn't require the use of a mill is the Stealth Arms jig which costs $200.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 1:14:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Then sell what you have and buy a complete frame, you won't find any of the "cost effective".  The only other 1911 jig that doesn't require the use of a mill is the Stealth Arms jig which costs $200.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You either have the tool & tooling or buy more tooling to do the job with what you do have.

Doing a 'one off' is rarely cost defective.

If done well you can end up with a better than 'production' gun for less than a 'custom' price.

You might be able to sell the tooling and recover some portion of the cost.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 2:00:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the Matrix rail jig. You can borrow it. PM me and we'll sort out shipping.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 2:01:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You either have the tool & tooling or buy more tooling to do the job with what you do have.

Ding a 'one off' is rarely cost defective.

If done well you can end up with a better than 'production' gun for less than a 'custom' price.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
<strong>Quoted:</strong>
<strong>Quoted:</strong>

Ding a 'one off' is rarely cost defective.

lol. Proved you wrong.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 11:59:48 PM EDT
[#7]
By borrow you mean he can buy it from you.....right

gotta stay legal in the eyes of the ATF
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 9:45:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
By borrow you mean he can buy it from you.....right

gotta stay legal in the eyes of the ATF
View Quote
How would borrowing a jig run afoul of the ATF?
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 2:46:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

How would borrowing a jig run afoul of the ATF?
View Quote
Im on my phone right now so copy and paste is a pain in the butt. 

Page 5 - Use of manufacturing machines, tools, or equipment

Some argue that this only applies to businesses and was directed after the ATF raid of the tannery shop (customer could purchase a lower and push a button on a CNC machine to complete a lower at their business). However when it comes to the ATF and risking getting a knock on your door for lack of compliance about something do you really want to risk it?  Guess that depends on how much money you have and how good your lawyer is. 

ETA there's another ATF white paper/letter that has less specific language that uses the word "individual" instead of business. Which makes it even more grey. I'll look for it later, flying back home today. 
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 6:25:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I read it all. A lot of talk about "business", or "persons engaged in business".

Can I help my buddy remove a Mauser barrel using my vise and a pipe wrench? Or loan out my Stealth 1911 jig?
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:44:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I read it all. A lot of talk about "business", or "persons engaged in business".

Can I help my buddy remove a Mauser barrel using my vise and a pipe wrench? Or loan out my Stealth 1911 jig?
View Quote
General consensus is the jigs to make guns from 80%s are a no-no to lend out.  Do what your anal virginity, rights, and lawyer can handle.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:15:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

lol. Proved you wrong.
View Quote
You built an 80% frame with no tooling to start for less than the cost of a stock 1911?

Tell us who has the low priced tooling.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top