Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/15/2017 12:30:28 AM EDT
So who here has expierence with installing and running one? Was it worth the money?
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 9:10:11 AM EDT
[#1]
No.  Even when supplied from the factory, recoil masters go straight in the trash can.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 9:26:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No.  Even when supplied from the factory, recoil masters go straight in the trash can.
View Quote

Bad expierence with one or just answer looking for a problem?
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 9:27:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 9:36:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks like I won't waste the cash then.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 9:37:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 9:56:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

The biggest thing for me is that they are a pain in the ass to take apart.  Functionally I don't think they do anything better than a conventional spring of the appropriate weight.  On guns with a bushing I always use a standard spring, GI-type short guide rod, and closed plug.  On bull barreled guns with no bushing I prefer a standard spring and Dawson tool less guide rod.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 10:20:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The biggest thing for me is that they are a pain in the ass to take apart.  Functionally I don't think they do anything better than a conventional spring of the appropriate weight.  On guns with a bushing I always use a standard spring, GI-type short guide rod, and closed plug.  On bull barreled guns with no bushing I prefer a standard spring and Dawson tool less guide rod.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the advice. I've got a plain GI 1911 I'm looking to upgrade and turn it into a backup for my TRP that I run in matches.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 11:55:39 AM EDT
[#8]
When they first came out they were horribly unreliable.  I think I had three replaced in quick succession in my factory Edge when they broke.

Supposedly STI fixed the problem, but I went with a conventional guide rod and spring and never looked back.  I can't tell any difference in recoil between a conventional setup and the Recoilmaster.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 3:02:18 AM EDT
[#9]
My STI came with the Recoil Master from the factory, the gun runs absolutely perfectly and feels amazing.  No way I'm changing anything.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 10:06:36 AM EDT
[#10]
I always take them out.  They tend to break and it's difficult to get STI to sell you replacement springs.

There is nothing they do better than a standard recoil spring setup.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 10:37:53 AM EDT
[#11]
I would replace with a Dawson Tool less guide rod.

the Recoil Master is just junk 
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:06:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I would replace with a Dawson Tool less guide rod.

the Recoil Master is just junk 
View Quote
I'll have to look at those.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:54:42 AM EDT
[#13]
I'd like to say it gave my gun problems, but it could've been caused by weak ammo, limp wristing, and lack of cleaning/lubrication.

I changed it out for a one piece guide rod and lighter spring. Gun runs a lot better, but it still needs to be cleaned and lubed to run good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top