Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 9:04:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I put about 10K rounds of steel case Wolf through a Springfield Custom Carry.  Not a problem one.  Steel case was used during WWII.  

I carried that 5" steel 1911 with two spare mags all over the US in a sparks VMII with an 1 3/4" CSM Wilderness belt.  Towards the end I started wearing heavy duty suspenders to help keep all that shit up.  Spread the pain around some.

It's a chore carrying the big heavy bastard.

The day I switched to a Glock 17K life got a LOT easier.  Haven't touched a 1911 in several years and don't miss 'em.  

I carry a Glock 43 now.  Fuck a heavy gun.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 9:59:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I alternate carrying between a Glock 17 (2 lbs) and a 5" steel 1911 (3 lbs). I use Raven Phantom holsters and a 1.5" leather belt from TT Gunleather. Both carry the same for me and really aren't any more taxing than my Shield (1.5 lbs). A good belt and holster make a yuuuge difference.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:35:45 PM EDT
[#3]
My Carry gun when in a less restrictive state is a SA Lightweight Champion Operator with a Surefire X300 Ultra on it. I use to have a nice Raven Concealment holster for it but lost it. I haven't settled on a new holster yet as I lost it in the move to CA and I don't carry here as I live on post and rarely leave.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 11:50:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I will definitely be getting into reloading, for both the added hobby and the cost savings. Not to mention the ability to make .45s tailored to my specific gun.

I was advised to start reloading pistol cartridges first before graduating to bottle necked cases, so I'm heeding that advice. Although that means I have to accumulate some brass to reload, but I don't mind the price, considering just about everywhere else is .40 cents and upwards, mostly upwards.

Sooner or later I'll have a regular ammo factory in my house
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 3:53:53 PM EDT
[#5]
If your going to carry a 1911 look at the LW Commanders. The weight saving over the full size makes carrying one much more comfortable. The reliability is the same as a full size. The recoil is very slightly more than the full size but you get used to it very quickly. I have an all steel STI Ranger II Commander and it's heavy. It's now one of my home defense guns. I carry a Colt LW 45ACP Commander, much easier to carry. I have a Ruger 1911 9mm Commander and it weighs a little less being 9mm. I have 650 rounds thru the Ruger with no failures of any type.  I normally do a trigger job on my new 1911s. But the Ruger trigger is so good out of the box (4.5lb) that I'm leaving it as is for at least 1k of rounds. Then I'll see if it needs adjustment.

I've carried only 1911s for the last 20 years. But back problems have made me look for lighter pistols. So I now carry Shield 9mm and Shield 45ACP when my back gives me a fit. They both shoot very accurately and have never failed with over 1200 rounds thru the 9mm and 600 rounds thru the 45ACP.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 6:58:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Beautiful weapons. I'll be favoriting these and doing a bit of soul searching, see which one pulls me in, so to speak.

Thank you all for your advice. As a guy just now seriously getting into the world of firearms (formerly just a windowshopper) it's a huge help.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Beautiful weapons. I'll be favoriting these and doing a bit of soul searching, see which one pulls me in, so to speak.

Thank you all for your advice. As a guy just now seriously getting into the world of firearms (formerly just a windowshopper) it's a huge help.
Man if they all run like the one i got you will be one happy dude.......... Just got back from testing mine she runs like a champ.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 7:56:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I put about 10K rounds of steel case Wolf through a Springfield Custom Carry.  Not a problem one.  Steel case was used during WWII.  

I carried that 5" steel 1911 with two spare mags all over the US in a sparks VMII with an 1 3/4" CSM Wilderness belt.  Towards the end I started wearing heavy duty suspenders to help keep all that shit up.  Spread the pain around some.

It's a chore carrying the big heavy bastard.

The day I switched to a Glock 17K life got a LOT easier.  Haven't touched a 1911 in several years and don't miss 'em.  

I carry a Glock 43 now.  Fuck a heavy gun.
View Quote
you should be ashamed.....
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 3:19:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This man speaks the truth and you shouldn't just ignore it.
View Quote
No, he doesn't. There are belts out there and good holsters to make this a non issue. With the right level of a quality 1911, this is non issue and can be ignored.

Good grief. What's best for the interest of some folks isn't an absolute thing to be assumed as a universal.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 3:26:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You know I love 1911 pistol but lets get real here.  Most people do not train enough to carry a 1911 and be effective, the pistol is heavy to carry for an ALL day everyday  24/7/365 carry, and why carry something that is heavy and low capacity.  I get some of you like to carry a 1911 but guiding someone new to carry life to start with a 1911 is down right bad.  What will end up happening and I have seen it many times he will carry it a day or two get tired of it and not carry daily because it is heavy or to large.  The idea is to get people to carry ALL the time not just some of the time when it is convenient or BBQ day.  So many time people start out biting off more than they can chew and end up not daily carrying.
View Quote
All the time?? You carry in bed too? All kidding aside, that is far from the truth.

It's entirely up to the person and not the narrative hive mind what an individual decides to like and carry or not.

And I've carried a Loaded 1911 at a BBQ and showed a G20 to friends. That stereotype is nuts to be honest.

And to be honest what really makes a person not carry daily is trying to get them to carry something that are not into.

Folks, there are tacked rules here in the 1911 section. This isn't a free for all handguns discussion.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 11:10:26 AM EDT
[#10]
I carry a Para-Ordnance p12 now, but when I did carry a full-size 1911 it was similar to this one. I found that  it carried comfortably in the small of my back inside the waistband.
Even though it's a large Gun, it is fairly flat and was completely concealed underneath any kind of shirt with Tails worn out.

Colt 1991 is $669 for a real Colt.

Link Posted: 3/20/2017 4:05:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Just got my jmcustom aiwb holster in.

Absolutely makes a full-sized 1911 disappear

I have a very similar holster for my m9a1 compact which works as well but when I try to carry a 92fs in it I get a colostomy bag bump. What ever jmcustom did it works great. I highly recommend.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 4:26:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Just got my jmcustom aiwb holster in.

Absolutely makes a full-sized 1911 disappear

I have a very similar holster for my m9a1 compact which works as well but when I try to carry a 92fs in it I get a colostomy bag bump. What ever jmcustom did it works great. I highly recommend.
View Quote
Pics?
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 4:34:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Sorry for the crap pics but it's what I can do with what I got.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 4:36:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Neat. Comfortable?
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 4:42:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Yea, more so than my Glocks and Berettas that I like carrying there. The thinness helps alot. Especially the spare.

Attachment Attached File

Eta. It's unloaded because I'm home on vaca and currently doing some dryfire practice
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 10:00:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Unless you wear a large-width gunbelt, and carry outside the waistband, you will find carrying a full-size 1911 to be taxing, to say the least.

Remember, the 1911 was conceived over a century ago. For warfighting.

There have been some advancements since then.

Do not ignore it, unless you're not a trigglypuff girlyman.
I've carried a 1911 since late 1979, ever day, with no pain.

I carry, today, a S&W superlite N-frame + a 1911, usually a 3.5" version.
My Wife/Chic carries a full size 1911 with ease. If you're weaker than her, you prob better look at really small/light guns in airsoft calibers.

A 1911 is lighter to me, iwb as opposed to owb. Either way, it is what it is and doesn't hurt my manly frame.
Go talk to the bridge carpenters who carry 45+ LB of tools all day ever day.
Or visit with the 80 year olds who walked across europe with either an M-1 or a BAR, or a mortar baseplate + a full load of ammo a buttpack full of grenades and a belt for the mg and a few extra mortar rounds.

Just don't be a sissy America, we weren't born this way.
You either want to clock the bad guy, or carry something to make you feels all good (till the lead flies).
Weak men are weak.
Tote a 1911, 2 reloads, and embrace the Browning goodness.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 6:25:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Actually he doesn't.

Any good 1.5" gunbelt makes a 1911 very comfortable to carry.

A Springfield mil spec was my first carry gun. After over 10 years of Glocks, SIG's, Berettas, etc guess what's currently on my hip. A Springfield loaded.

A 1911 is heavy but a good stiff belt and a good holsters makes it more comfortable than a g19.
View Quote
What does a 1911 with a good belt and holster have that makes it "more comfortable" than a Glock?  Assuming the same holster options exist for the Glock (which is universally true since everybody wants some of that business)
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:54:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

What does a 1911 with a good belt and holster have that makes it "more comfortable" than a Glock?  Assuming the same holster options exist for the Glock (which is universally true since everybody wants some of that business)
View Quote
It's thinner.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 11:23:55 PM EDT
[#19]
My favorite carry pistol is my Colt CCO Gunsite Pistol - Lightweight Officer Frame with Commander Slide, front night sight.  Carried in a Milt Sparks Summer Special 2 inside the waistband holster.

Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:28:15 PM EDT
[#20]
OP, I've carried a Springfield Loaded during the winter months for the last (5) years. The rest of the year I carried a CZ P-01. Recently I got a Springfield LW Champion Operator. It weighs 31oz's unloaded. My beloved P-01 weighs 28+oz's unloaded. So mags loaded out, I'm betting the CZ weighs more. I've been carrying them interchangeably as of late in the same Comp-Tac "M-Tac" holster (each has it's own dedicated holster) and they carry very well. So from now on, if I'm carrying a 1911 its going to be the LW Operator. Not that the Springer Loaded was a chore at all... but it is nicer carrying the LW Operator in comparison.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:00:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Having qualified with a rattle trap 1911 by auto ordance for my chl in 1995, all can say is verify reliability. The auto ordance was very reliable but I upgraded to a spring field as soon as I could.

There are plenty of 1911's out there, there many that do not break over a grand. Used market can get that grand gun to an affordable price.

Case in point, I gravitate to sig 1911's. And they can range from 700 to 1600 depending on make. For me, they are reliable and accurate. For those with deep pockets and egos, not so much. It does not mean I would pass on a Dan Wesson or Wilson if I had the money.

I currently carry in rotation sig tacops, c3, emperor scorpion fast back, s&w e series commander and a kimber pro carry 2. All reliable with proven reliable magazines and feed my carry ammo with no problems.

With full size 1911's or any gun, the holster can help with carry and draw based on how it is made. My holsters are all leather from milt sparks and El Paso saddlery for iwb and Kirk Patrick or El Paso saddlery for owb carry. Main factor is the holsters maintain shape and distribute the gun weight over a bigger area for comfortable carry.

Main thing when you chose a 1911, shoot 500 rounds using different magazines and as many carry rounds you can afford with the same magazines. If you have a malfunction with any magazine, then use that magazine for practice only. A bad magazine can stop even expensive guns let alone cheap guns.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 1:49:24 PM EDT
[#22]
For carry look at a lightweight commander, of a reliable brand and make sure it runs. Use a good belt. You will notice the weight difference.

I carry my colt LW commander daily and love it. I carry OWB in a raven or savoy, I don't worry about minor printing on my t-shirt. Haven't been "outed" in 12 years.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top